Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Arenas and Van Gundy Struggle to Find Common Ground

I don't get it; when I play with Gilbert on 2K11, off the bench, the dude balls out. Like 20ppg. Off the bench.

Do you mean to tell me that life doesn't imitate art? Well you, good sir/ma'am, are a liar and a scoundrel and I will have no part of this farce. GOOD DAY!

• Upvote 1

Nate Robinson was pretty worthless when the Celtics traded for him, but then in the playoffs he ended up having some big games. I'm hoping Gilbert can do the same and give us his best in the playoffs.

in 04-05 he averaged 25.5ppg, 5.1 assists and 40.9 FG%

iin 05-06 he averaged 29.3ppg, 6.0 assists and 44.7 FG%

in 06-07 he averaged 28.4ppg, 6.0 assists and 41.8 FG%

3 years prior to that he was on a bad team and putting up decent numbers. After 06-07 with all his injury problems and off the court issues he's sucked pretty bad, but again it's been due to all those issues.

You're right....Way too inconsistent!

Ignoring the fact that you've taken a 9 year span and omitted 2/3 of them because they don't fit your argument, I think you're not understanding my point.

Gilbert Arenas has never been consistent on a game to game basis. Even at his peak, he was a guy who'd win a game one night, and two nights later go 5 for 21 and cost his team the game. If you bring up the month to month splits from his best year, 05-06, you'll see a wide shift from month to month, simply because he was always streaky as hell, prone to taking bad shots and forcing things when nothing was there. That's who he is.

And even the seasons you listed show a massive shift, and that's even with the convenient stats you omitted(like 3PAs and 3p%, which are VERY relevant when it comes to Gilbert Arenas). A 3% drop in FG% is significant, particularly when it's coming from a player who was only an average shooter(at best) to begin with. Hell, Gilbert Arenas has actually NEVER posted a FG% above this year's league average. Even at his peak.

I get that you just want to troll me here, but you're flat out wrong. I lived outside of DC for 2.5 years. I live in Baltimore now. I watch Wizards games. You're simply wrong about Gilbert Arenas here.

Combine that with the loss of explosiveness that his knee surgeries caused making it impossible for him to have even a not-terrible FTdraw rate, and you're left with a below average shooter who can't get to the rim and thinks he's a superstar. That's a terrible recipe. Period.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Ignoring the fact that you've taken a 9 year span and omitted 2/3 of them because they don't fit your argument, I think you're not understanding my point.

Gilbert Arenas has never been consistent on a game to game basis. Even at his peak, he was a guy who'd win a game one night, and two nights later go 5 for 21 and cost his team the game. If you bring up the month to month splits from his best year, 05-06, you'll see a wide shift from month to month, simply because he was always streaky as hell, prone to taking bad shots and forcing things when nothing was there. That's who he is.

And even the seasons you listed show a massive shift, and that's even with the convenient stats you omitted(like 3PAs and 3p%, which are VERY relevant when it comes to Gilbert Arenas). A 3% drop in FG% is significant, particularly when it's coming from a player who was only an average shooter(at best) to begin with. Hell, Gilbert Arenas has actually NEVER posted a FG% above this year's league average. Even at his peak.

I get that you just want to troll me here, but you're flat out wrong. I lived outside of DC for 2.5 years. I live in Baltimore now. I watch Wizards games. You're simply wrong about Gilbert Arenas here.

Combine that with the loss of explosiveness that his knee surgeries caused making it impossible for him to have even a not-terrible FTdraw rate, and you're left with a below average shooter who can't get to the rim and thinks he's a superstar. That's a terrible recipe. Period.

Saw this response coming. Knew you wouldn't disappoint me.

haha oh Alpha...your posts never seem to dissappoint in the department of telling someone they're wrong. I like your posts when you aren't attacking someone else's opinions though. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

I don't see anyone complaining and saying he should be benched. The only complaints about his playing time are coming from people who think he needs more burn at this point. I think Stan is doing a great job of managing him at this point, and as Arenas starts to make better decisions, his playing time will increase.

Agreed Hi Top, for the Magic's sake I hope he learns his role sooner rather than later because I think he could be a contributer to this squad. He is making a bigger adjustment to being part of a new team than any of the other players that the organization aquired in that slew of trades a few weeks back. Panic mode has no business being around Gilbert at this point, he has not been a big enough factor positive or negative. Panic mode should be put on team Defense if panic mode absolutely has to exist. Oh yah that and keeping Dwight in Orlando....geez that thought scares me everytime.

I'm surprised at how many people are sucking up to you...lol.

I didn't ignore his other seasons. I stated he put up decent numbers his first 3 seasons and has sucked the last 3. He played his best basketball in the 3 in between. I'm sure I can go around and find flaws in every above average player in the NBA today. I'm not asking for Arenas to put up 25ppg a game while playing for us. I simply stated he's not getting any minutes and it's hard to be consistent when you are used to seeing a lot more minutes than that.

In my eyes, he's better than what some people make him out to be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And by not defining how good you think he actually is, or for that matter, how bad "some people make him out to be", you create an unassailable strawman by never actually making a point.

It's alarming and somewhat sad that you earnestly believe you've made an intelligent argument.

I'm surprised at how many people are sucking up to you...lol.

I didn't ignore his other seasons. I stated he put up decent numbers his first 3 seasons and has sucked the last 3. He played his best basketball in the 3 in between. I'm sure I can go around and find flaws in every above average player in the NBA today. I'm not asking for Arenas to put up 25ppg a game while playing for us. I simply stated he's not getting any minutes and it's hard to be consistent when you are used to seeing a lot more minutes than that.

Its not sucking up. He's correct. You and I know that this is a game to game type of sport and that's how your prove your true efficiency. Your right in the logic that Gilbert Arenas was consistent at those scoring and assist numbers etc but the fact is you take this game by game. Van Gundy and the players have been saying it for years.

I truly wish Arenas could be a twenty point per game player (off better shot selection) but its out of the books.

Nate Robinson was pretty worthless when the Celtics traded for him, but then in the playoffs he ended up having some big games. I'm hoping Gilbert can do the same and give us his best in the playoffs.

Playoffs? Dont talk about playoffs? U kidding Me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game.