Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

The Top 25 Magic Players of All-Time: #2

Vote: Shaq. No one else outside of Dwight Howard has had the same impact on the franchise. I know a lot of people are going to drop him down a few places because of how he left, but he was still responsible for putting this team in the spotlight for the first time, and was the centerpiece of the first really good team we ever had. He did a whole lot for the franchise, and I can't downplay that because he called us names on the way out.

Nomination: Horace Grant

Vote: T-Mac

We had T-Mac in his prime and I don't think there's any discussion about him being the best offensive player we've ever had. He was the youngest player to ever average over 30, he scored over 60, and he nearly beat the first seed Pistons by himself. He didn't have a supporting cast aside from a young Mike Miller which was really a tragedy. I always wonder what could have been. I know he never made it out of the first round and all that and we only had him for a short time, but it was an amazing time to have him on your team and I've never been as obsessed with a player as I was with him. As I remember it at the time, if you were talking about who's the best player in the NBA, you were either talking about T-Mac or Kobe (and that's actually the reason I hated Kobe so much).

If for no other reason, I've never jumped off my couch and yelled as loud as I did when he threw it off the backboard in the all-star game. Still gets me excited when I see it.

Nomination: Rashard Lewis

I just think he was that last piece before we made it to the second round and ultimately the finals. A true team player who never complained about playing out of position and, except for that last Boston series, seemed to always step up when we needed him. Individually, I don't think he played like a 118 million dollar player, but I think he was worth a 118 million to this team and we wouldn't have had as much success as we recently have without him.

It's tough for me to vote between Shaq, T-Mac, & Penny. It's tough to nominate for me between Horace Grant & Scott Skiles. Here we go..

Vote: Shaquille O'Neal. You just got to. It doesn't matter how he played anywhere else, and it also doesn't matter how he left. What matters is what he did when he was here.

Now he obviously had more help around him than T-Mac had. But there's just no ignoring how dominant he was inside, between scoring the ball and rebounding, not to mention just lifting the Orlando Magic onto the national stage with his play and presence. There's was nothing in the NBA more physically unstoppable than a young Shaq, since Wilt Chamberlain before him, and perhaps nothing since. Only Dwight even comes close to comparing. He was named the 1993 NBA Rookie of the Year and became the first rookie to be voted an All-Star starter since Michael Jordan in 1985. He made all 4 all star games every year he with the Magic, led the NBA in scoring in his 3rd year, led the Magic to defeating the Jordan and the Bulls in one of their very few playoff losses of the 90s, and led the Magic to the NBA Finals for the first time. He also broke more than one backboard along the way.

The #1 piece of evidence Shaq's the second best/most important player in Magic history? Look how mad everyone was that he left.

It just shows how important Dwight Howard's been, because it wasn't until the Magic's 19th year in existence (when the Magic made the Finals a second time and won their 1st Finals game) that Shaq wasn't the clear #1 top Magic Player of All-Time, even though he was only here four years.

Nominate: Horace Grant. He helped Penny & Nick keep the Magic somewhat afloat after Shaq left, and more importantly got Shaq & Penny "over the hump" in the playoffs, helping them get past the Bulls & Pacers to get to the NBA Finals. As much as I love Skiles, playoff success is the tiebreaker here.