Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

How legit were these wins?

I got into an argument with some friends over the Magic's recent success and I thought I'd bring it to the forum and get your opinion.

The Spurs - got in late from a road game the night before and were without George Hill

The Celtics - were without Rajon Rondo who has put up MVP numbers this season

I argued that they still got the best shot from the teams and it was just a sign of the Magic starting to gel.

What do you all think? Were these wins slightly dampered by the circumstances surrounding them? Or were my friends just being jealous of our success (they're Pacers fans anyways haha)

I got into an argument with some friends over the Magic's recent success and I thought I'd bring it to the forum and get your opinion.

The Spurs - got in late from a road game the night before and were without George Hill

The Celtics - were without Rajon Rondo who has put up MVP numbers this season

I argued that they still got the best shot from the teams and it was just a sign of the Magic starting to gel.

What do you all think? Were these wins slightly dampered by the circumstances surrounding them? Or were my friends just being jealous of our success (they're Pacers fans anyways haha)

umm pretty sure we just played 3 games in 4 nights going into the spurs game.. that's no excuse! we just integrated 4 new players, and have had no time to practice...your friends should be afraid..the one thing we know is stans a good coach that will have these guys kicking some major booty before to long..

We beat two of the best teams in the league while running only the most basic of sets because our new players know almost nothing from the offensive playbook or how our defensive rotations work. It's legit enough for me. I thought they would be fortunate to split the last two games much less win both of them.

Oh, and the defense already looks considerably better than it did a couple of games ago.

What is a legit win? And if there are such things as a legit win, then inversely, what is an illegitimate win? A win, is a win, is a win.

It's impossible to take this "win" as anything more than what it is. We don't know how we'd matchup with Celtics in the playoffs. The regular season is overrated, but with that said this win is simply a confidence booster. We won with our best player playing great defense and our other players finding their shots. It used to be the inverse, nobody but dwight getting theirs.

• Upvote 1

I don't know jack about legitimacy, I know they both counted as W's and went into that column. I will say that both wins are probably a major improvement for this teams overall confidence and trust. I was happy to hear Dwight after the game several times mention how proud he was of the team and how happy he was. I know it's all sidespeak for his inevitable departure for L.A. in a few years but hey, let me enjoy it now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Oh, and the defense already looks considerably better than it did a couple of games ago.

Completely Agree.

As far as legitimate wins go, the argument can be made that these games between contenders mean nothing until the playoffs. I tend to think it gives a decent perspective of the matchups between the teams. Considering Boston had a 15 game win streak and has the best record in the East, I'd call this win legit. Could it change in the playoffs; of course but not likely with our expected improvement from cohesion.

We owed the Spurs an ass kicking after that no call on the trip by Ginobili on Jameer.

The Celtics game was a moral victory. They were complete assholes. Not to mention that the latest call in NBA history happened that afternoon. I thought we play horrible for the most part of the game. Dwight had six points that night and we were playing a team on a 14 game win streak.

Both win have been great, against teams which will content for a championship. Hopefully Dwight can increase his production from the free throw line, cause he will take a lot of shots from there.

• Upvote 1