Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

J. Will needs a shot at back-up PG job (Schmitz)

There are people who think Duhon is a worse defender than Jason Williams? That's an actual opinion that exists?

Yeah. he said it right here in this thread.

I do think that Duhon has an edge over J Will on defense, but his offense reminds me too much of what Carlos Arroyo did when he was here. He seems to waste half of the shot clock dribbling around the court with no idea what he's going to do with the ball. I've been disappointed in what I've seen so far.

While I'm not a Duhon fan, I think we just have to give him time to adjust. He's better that J-Will.

I do think that Duhon has an edge over J Will on defense, but his offense reminds me too much of what Carlos Arroyo did when he was here. He seems to waste half of the shot clock dribbling around the court with no idea what he's going to do with the ball. I've been disappointed in what I've seen so far.

I'd say he's the exact opposite of Arroyo in the sense that he will basically be looking for too many things at the same time. Arroyo basically would just stand around and pound the ball or just stand in a corner. While Duhon moves around, he never seems to go anywhere with it (so I guess I can see the similarities). He's not aggressive enough (doesn't look to score enough) and because of that teams will sag off of him and not collapse so he has to keep making tough passes and can't get good looks for his teammates. Days where he is a aggressive and makes the defense pay for leaving him open are the days he looks good offensively.

And as much as JWill is praised, all the guy does is push the ball up the floor then he essentially becomes a spot up shooter (basically Mike Bibby). He can't defend and can't create for others (besides making pocket passes on the PnR). When JWill is out on the floor, we HAVE to have either Carter or fricking JJ Redick making plays or else our offense looks worse than the Cavs'.

Wasn't that because he had to take on heavy minutes due to Jameer's injury?

No, he was still averaging decent minutes as the back up. His minutes went up a little when Jameer was out, but not by much, and certainly not enough to be the main cause of his crop off.

I say we give J Will some of Duhon's minutes. Jason brings high tempo offense and SVG can pick and choose when to utilize that. Duhon's performance has been lacking this season and maybe it could light a fire under him.

J Will knows he's the 3rd string PG and I'm sure he'll gladly welcome any playing time he gets. And in contrast, he knows that his PT will be limited or even nonexistent. If he gives you solid production, keep him playing...if he doesn't, then rest him.

I don't think there is any downside to evaluating him and seeing which PG gives you the absolute advantage.

I say we give J Will some of Duhon's minutes. Jason brings high tempo offense and SVG can pick and choose when to utilize that. Duhon's performance has been lacking this season and maybe it could light a fire under him.

J Will knows he's the 3rd string PG and I'm sure he'll gladly welcome any playing time he gets. And in contrast, he knows that his PT will be limited or even nonexistent. If he gives you solid production, keep him playing...if he doesn't, then rest him.

I don't think there is any downside to evaluating him and seeing which PG gives you the absolute advantage.

At this point in his career, considering his time with out team, and with Stan in Miami as well, does J Will really need any more evaluation, or should we give Duhon the best chance possible to make it work?

J-Will is still the better option at backup PG. Duhon is painful at orchestrating any kind of offense. His playmaking ability reminds of Keyon's, except he doesn't bring the tenacity Dooling brought defensively.

Despite hitting the occasional (and by occasional, I mean once or twice every three games) jumper, Duhon is a complete non-factor on offense. Some people like the fact that he's more composed, but what some view as composed, I view as passive. It seems that every time he's given an open shot, he either hesitates and drives (if you can call it a drive) or simply passes it back to a more contested look. At the age of 35, Williams plays with twice the amount of energy that Duhon brings. It's frustrating to watch him spend 7 seconds to bring the ball past half court only to have him spend another 2 seconds passing it to another ball-handler. The shot-clock timer may as well be reduced to 18 seconds whenever we have possession with him on the floor.

And contrary to the belief that he's far better a defender than Williams, I actually have to disagree. Now, I know this goes against the notion that PER is absolute, but those stats just don't do it justice. Even marginally quick opposing PGs demonstrate the ability to blow by Duhon with regularity. Williams has quicker feet and tends to stay in front of them far better. This became apparent when he matched up against Jennings. Brandon drove past Duhon like he was a totem pole, getting easy shots at the rim and/or breaking down the defense. Against J-Will, he was met with some kind of pressure, he just happened to be hitting his outside jumper (which for Jennings is practically an anomaly).

Say what you will, I prefer Williams as a backup. The ability to push the ball is more than a minor advantage in the context of this comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

JWill ran otu of gas midway through the season last year.

Duhon needs to work his way out of his problems. If we get past the All-Star game and Duhon still has not meshed with the team and is playing like he is, then you start working J Will back into the rotation. He knows the system, and you can manage his minutes to make sure he is fresh for the playoffs if it comes to that.

How much of an epic mistake would it be to pull Duhon at this point in favor of J Will, then be forced to work Duhon back into the rotation towards the playoffs because J Will can't keep up any more?

Some people around here need to start looking at the forest instead of staring at the trees.

Well said!

I agree.

J-Will is still the better option at backup PG. Duhon is painful at orchestrating any kind of offense. His playmaking ability reminds of Keyon's, except he doesn't bring the tenacity Dooling brought defensively.

Despite hitting the occasional (and by occasional, I mean once or twice every three games) jumper, Duhon is a complete non-factor on offense. Some people like the fact that he's more composed, but what some view as composed, I view as passive. It seems that every time he's given an open shot, he either hesitates and drives (if you can call it a drive) or simply passes it back to a more contested look. At the age of 35, Williams plays with twice the amount of energy that Duhon brings. It's frustrating to watch him spend 7 seconds to bring the ball past half court only to have him spend another 2 seconds passing it to another ball-handler. The shot-clock timer may as well be reduced to 18 seconds whenever we have possession with him on the floor.

And contrary to the belief that he's far better a defender than Williams, I actually have to disagree. Now, I know this goes against the notion that PER is absolute, but those stats just don't do it justice. Even marginally quick opposing PGs demonstrate the ability to blow by Duhon with regularity. Williams has quicker feet and tends to stay in front of them far better. This became apparent when he matched up against Jennings. Brandon drove past Duhon like he was a totem pole, getting easy shots at the rim and/or breaking down the defense. Against J-Will, he was met with some kind of pressure, he just happened to be hitting his outside jumper (which for Jennings is practically an anomaly).

Say what you will, I prefer Williams as a backup. The ability to push the ball is more than a minor advantage in the context of this comparison.

I agree with this as well.

However, its not worth burning out J-Will this early in the season if we can try and get Duhon acclimated.

J-Will looked like garbage in the playoffs last year. Let him keep his legs to we can use him on a stretch run.

• Upvote 1