Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Wondering about Orlando's offense??

But pay attention to Orlando’s offense. The Magic rank just 18th in points per possession after finishing in the top five last season. Your initial instinct might be to dismiss the early drop as the product of a temporary cold-shooting streak. J.J. Redick and Quentin Richardson are both shooting under 30 percent, and Rashard Lewis is barely trumping them at 37 percent. Those numbers will correct themselves soon.

Lewis, though, bears watching. He’s 31, and he is coming off the worst season of his career save for his rookie year. His field-goal percentage has declined every year since 2005-06, and his defense this season has looked shakier than ever, regardless of whether Stan Van Gundy has played at him small forward or power forward.

About that positional tinkering: I at first chalked it up as a smart move by Van Gundy to make Orlando’s offense less predictable by occasionally shifting Lewis to the three spot and integrating both Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson. But I’m wondering now if it might be Van Gundy’s way of acknowledging that Lewis is not be the same player he was two seasons ago. If that’s the case, the foundation of Orlando’s offense might be in jeopardy. This is a team that succeeds in part by surrounding Dwight Howard with long-range shooters, and Lewis’ ability to provide prolific three-point shooting at power forward has been critical to that philosophy. If he can no longer do that reliably, Orlando has more tinkering to do than we thought–unless Ryan Anderson can secure consistent playing time and do the job.

In any case, Orlando looked ready to play June basketball in October. That’s not the case anymore in mid-November.

Link:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/11/15/monday-musings-two-teams-two-big-worries/

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

This does make sense. It was Rashard's turn to be your whipping boy for the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't wait till the 11-12 season when junkie picks Dwight to hate on. Thats the correct rotation right? JJ, Nelson, Lewis, Dwight?

Not that Lewis doesn't deserve criticism, but this is interesting.

This poor Junkie guy seems to get picked on around here. He has some good points to make, though, doesn't he? I think every Magic fan has at least the right to voice their opinion without getting ridiculed.

I think most of us here love the Magic. Can't blame a guy for wanting things to be better...

This poor Junkie guy seems to get picked on around here. He has some good points to make, though, doesn't he? I think every Magic fan has at least the right to voice their opinion without getting ridiculed.

I think most of us here love the Magic. Can't blame a guy for wanting things to be better...

While you are correct, you haven't been here long enough to know the whole story.

• Upvote 2

I get it. People get tired because every tiem a concern or criticism is posted is has a high % of probability that it is a thread started by junkie with multiples threads bringing the same point using different artciles.

I guess I just think his points or articles should be discussed and move on.....

While you are correct, you haven't been here long enough to know the whole story.

Well, I won't make any judgments on anyone. I guess if all you do is bash bash bash, then it gets old. But right now, I think Junkie is making a good point. Though I think the Magic will turn around come playoffs and we will be all happy again!