Sign in to follow this  
Audi

My major complaint about opening night

My complaint has nothing to do with the Magic organization or the Amway Center. Everything about the experience was wonderful.

First, some of the great aspects:

• The parking and walk to the Amway Center is wonderful. The location of the building honestly couldn't be better - Church Street looked great and they even put effort into giving the pass under I-4 a magical atmosphere.
  • The Amway Center staff are top notch. Very, very friendly. I had $3 bucks knocked off my beer because they ran out of my first and second choice in soda flavors. I ordered some soft pretzels that took 5 minutes to cook but the cook and the cashier were very apologetic and constantly kept me updated on how long it would take (it tasted amazing, btw). Everyone from the hosts at the doors to the roaming beer vendors were in high spirits and friendly.
  • The Center itself is a work of architectural genious and wonder. The place was alive tonight, and every little LCD bulb added to the feeling.
  • Having RDV give a nice heartfelt speech tonight really was incredible. He even got choked up at one point. Dwight speaking to us was also a nice treat. As a fan it really felt good to be appreciated like that.
  • The team played great. Aside from more turnovers than I would like, we looked awesome out there.

No - the real dissapointment tonight was the fans. Specifically, all of the fools who bought $300+ lower bowl tickets and decided to LEAVE AT HALFTIME. I kid you not - over 1/4 of the lower bowl was empty by the start of the 3rd and it was well over half emptied by the mid 4th. The second half of the game honestly sported far more people in the upper bowls than the lower. THAT IS PATHETIC. I didn't see the game on TV but I imagine all the empty seats for an entire two quarters looked depressing. IT WAS A SOLD OUT GAME FOR PETE'S SAKE. But if you tuned in after the half it would have looked like pre-season in NJ.

It just really bothered me. Not necessarily because I was in the 2nd deck, but because I want people watching to see die hard Magic fans packing this epic arena every game night. Yet we couldn't even get fans to stay for a 2nd half? Sad, sad, sad. Empty seats like that just seems to reflect poorly on the team, and that is simply unwarranted. Even if we are up by 60, the lower bowl needs to be full. It's highly doubtful, but it would be nice if the Amway Center implemented some sort of system that filled long-term empty seats with others throughout the arena. I mean, there were literally entire rows in the lower bowl empty for an entire half of basketball tonight. That is unnacceptable.

Anyone else in attendance tonight and notice this?

The game was a blowout and I'm betting most of the people there went to the bars and stuff.

Well I thought so too, until I went for a last call drink myself and saw that it wasn't slammed like I expected. Don't get me wrong, people were definitely hanging at the Bud bar, 03, etc., but nowhere near the amount that would account for all the empty seats.

I dunno what happened. All I can surmise is that perhaps a whole bunch of people bought tickets just to 'be' at the event and not the game itself. Once halftime rolled around they figured they had seen enough and high tailed it out of there. I'm hoping that's the case, but if this is going to be a repeat kind of thing, it's going to be painful to see.

Were you there or watching from home? How'd it look from your p.o.v?

I watched on TV and noticed the lack of people in seats during the fourth quarter, but in a blowout it doesn't bother me too much.

Some people don't know how lucky they are. What i wouldn't give to watch an NBA game live. Living in Australia sucks.

• Upvote 2

Yea I hated that also, especially that the game was nationally televised... ppl are going to think Orlando has no fans

Well I doubt that many people will think that. I just don't want them thinking Orlando has fans that aren't willing to stick around and support their team for an entire second half, even if it is a blowout.

Some people don't know how lucky they are. What i wouldn't give to watch an NBA game live. Living in Australia sucks.

I am in the same boat as you. It seems to only happen in America where when a blow out happens fans leave.

I feel you man. I live in the UK, and the only chance I have to watch a game live will be the nets v raptors in london....how lucky am I? Probably two of the worst teams to pick, but I guess its a start.

"Wasted Tickets". Like I said it in another thread, the attendance is going to look lower because of the amenities and attractions in the Center. Plus the childrens area is a big ticket waster. I hope more people bring die hard fans with them or die hard kid fans.

I don't think it will be that bad as the season progresses bu then again...it will be bad if we keep blowing out teams.