Sign in to follow this  
Shock Phantom

Orlando @ Miami 10/29 7:30 PM on ESPN

I know Carter isn't liked on here by most but since he went off the Magic have been playing lost and almost starstruck... I think if Miami hadn't played the Celtics already this week it would have been a different outcome here so far, the heat are starting to play well together and Wade is playing quite well.

Anyway it's not over yet but hopefully things change!

I know Carter isn't liked on here by most but since he went off the Magic have been playing lost and almost starstruck... I think if Miami hadn't played the Celtics already this week it would have been a different outcome here so far, the heat are starting to play well together and Wade is playing quite well.

Anyway it's not over yet but hopefully things change!

Although Carter may be hurt I wish he would toughen up and play through some of the aches and pains...anytime someone blows on the guy he takes a seat. Its early in the season I know but I just like my team to show a little fight.

1. Neither Nelson or Duhon can run our offense

2. Nobody can guard Dwade or LBJ

3. VC and Shard are having horrible games but we should still play them more. Have no idea why Stan loves to play Q...

• Downvote 1

I think it's a post built on a combination of Glenn Beck-style conspiracy theory nonsense and a fundamental misunderstanding of how fouls have been called throughout NBA history.

That wing players have typically averaged more FTAs than wings has been true for most of league history. Mark Aguirre averaged more FTAs than Kareem. It's not a question of wings suddenly getting more foul calls recently. They've always tended to get more foul calls. It's that in today's era, EVERYONE gets more foul calls. There are really only two major exceptions to that rule in league history, and it's remarkable to me that "ma" managed to name one of them as an example of the opposite.

Wilt Chamberlain averaged a staggering number of FTAs. Staggering numbers. He averaged 11.4 per game for his career. He once averaged 17 per game for a season. There is no planet that exists where Wilt didn't shoot FTAs constantly. None whatsoever. Even later in his career, where he was a virtual role player on the West/Baylor Lakers, he was still shooting 5.5 FTAs a game on 7.1 FGAs.

Lebron and Wade get lots of FTAs because they initiate lots of contact, and because league rules now cater more towards wing players that do that. They average more FTAs now than they would have 20 years ago, but the idea that they wouldn't have shot lots of free throws in the 80s or 90s is laughable. Lebron and Wade shoot roughly the same number of FTAs per game the last couple years as prime Dominique Wilkins did in the late 80s and early 90s, and Wilkins actively avoided contact in the air.

So, you are saying that Wilt's game and scoring feats benefited from his free throw shooting?

The guy averages 30 pts per game, only 5.8 pts from free throws (20%).

You are right that he shot a lot of them, but what made him a scorer was his

FGA and FG% - 22 per game and 54%.

Kareem and Hakeem are better examples in this case:

Kareem 18 FGA, 56%. 25 ppg average, 4 ppg (6FTA) from free throws

Hakeem 17 FGA, 51%. 22 ppg average, 4.4ppg (6FTA) from free throws

In contrast:

Kobe 19.3 FGA, 45%, 25 ppg, 6.4 ppg from free throws (8 FTA)

James 21 FGA,47%, 28ppg, 6.7 ppg from free throws (9FTA)

Wade 18 FGA, 48%,25 ppg, 7 ppg from free throws (9 FTA)

That's right that perimeter players shoot more free throws, but

that doesn't make them better players.

All the today's "what's considered the best in the world" are somehow

perimeter players, because merely they score a lot of points per game.

but if you subtracted their "free" points, they are not better compared

to those guys from old days. I personally dislike players earning their

living at the line as a business.

ps: Are you DOM? If so, excuse my post, I had woved not to write back.

MA

Man... Didn't I say mark my words. Heat is getting away with a very physical play and a lot of slapping.

Magic gets called for every little foul it looks like.

Orlando looks lost for some reason. Stern looks happy.

MA

No offense tonight. I still don't see this Heat team as being a challenge. We just came out flat.

I'm pretty disappointed too but it not the playoffs yet. Step back from the ledge, we'll still win 60 games.

I dont give a shht if we go .500 and get the 8th seed, CHAMPIONSHIP or FAILURE.