Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

NBA Scout breaks down Magic roster (link)

From Eddie Rivera...of ESPN's TrueHooop Network...a segment called Mondays Magic Word:

A scout breaks down the Magic roster for ESPN Insider: “They could use a flat-out scorer off the bench, a Jamal Crawford-type to give them 16-18 points a night. They miss that punch. Vince Carter is not in the killer category. He gives you numbers but won’t buy into really being a good defender. And while he’s not a selfish guy, he’s a selfish scorer, a guy who dominates the ball when he gets it going. Because of Vince, I thought Rashard Lewis didn’t get enough touches last year. In the playoffs,

Jameer Nelson’s lack of height and inability to bother opponents defensively hurts them. And then I’ve been told by players in that locker room that Stan Van Gundy’s act has worn thin. He’s a blatant yeller and screamer who’ll throw you under the bus in the press conference after a game. They’ve got too much pride to take the key out of the ignition, but there comes a time when a team completely stops listening to a coach, and I don’t think he’s far from that.”

Take that quote for whatever it’s worth.

Stan is definitely a yeller & screamer...maybe he'll get it under control this season?

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/10/18/mondays-magic-word-27/

• Downvote 14

I have to wonder how long ago this scout was making these assessments. The specific comment about Stan is certainly true, historically. However, as we've seen from multiple accounts during this offseason, Stan is going out of his way to get to know his players more (on a personal level, away from the court) and be a bit more laid back. So, I'm thinking this quote is no longer accurate.

• Upvote 4

Nice response, Chareth.

I'm not sure how you can be a real fan of this team and not appreciate what Stan and Jameer have done in Orlando. As for that "assesment", it sounds to me like it's old perspective mixed with a touch of recent (playoff loss vs. Boston) events, not something comprised of recent player sentiments, probably thrown together last minute just to get something out there for the insider piece. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, we don't seem to get a lot of solid, in depth, behind the scenese info about our favorite team.

Still seems like someone is bitter about their season tickets imho.

• Upvote 2

This will be a common theme of Stan's tenure until they win a championship. When a coach is not winning the players are tuning him out and when things are going well the players are really buying into the system.

Stan is not perfect by any means but he is damn fine coach.

• Upvote 2

-As told to Chris Broussard

Other Chris Boussard winners -

Erick Dampier is leaning toward signing with the Miami Heat, according to league sources.

Oden may one day be an All-Star

New Orleans Hornets, who I think will reach the Western Conference playoffs.

ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard says he thinks LeBron James is leaning towards staying in Cleveland.

And those are only in the last 4 or 5 months with 5 minutes of research. Add that to the fact that unless it's a whistleblower type situation I don't trust "anonymous sources", especially from ESPN who's journalistic integrity is the equivalent of Fox news and MSNBC.

-As told to Chris Broussard

Other Chris Boussard winners -

Erick Dampier is leaning toward signing with the Miami Heat, according to league sources.

Oden may one day be an All-Star

New Orleans Hornets, who I think will reach the Western Conference playoffs.

ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard says he thinks LeBron James is leaning towards staying in Cleveland.

And those are only in the last 4 or 5 months with 5 minutes of research. Add that to the fact that unless it's a whistleblower type situation I don't trust "anonymous sources", especially from ESPN who's journalistic integrity is the equivalent of Fox news and MSNBC.

Honestly, I think Broussard's legit. He frequently reports breaking news and with that list right there, it is really nitpicking. The Dampier and Lebron updates were up in the air and nobody really knows who's going where except for the player himself. As for Oden, well, he was projected to be a big contributor by almost all analysts after coming off his tenure at Ohio State. I will give you that the NO playoff prediction was kind of crazy., but Broussard has never failed at giving me the latest in the NBA world. Maybe I missed the point, but just stating my opinion.

• Downvote 1