Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Whom can Nelson guard? (Sentinel)

All this is a lot take in if you're an Orlando Magic supporter. In my eyes, the Heat's crunch-time backcourt will consist of Wade, Miller and James. What exactly does that mean for Orlando? Can Jameer Nelson play against that unit?

Honestly, I don't know that he can. Nelson can't guard LeBron, obviously. Mike Miller is 6-foot-8 and there's really no counter for a 10-inch height advantage. That really only leaves Wade, who's 6-foot-4 and comfortable operating from anywhere on the floor, including the low block. Few players can adequately guard Wade, let alone a 5-10 point guard.

And because of that, I believe there could be situations where Orlando's best offensive creator -- the smooth-stroking Nelson -- would have to sit the bench during key stretches against the Heat. You hate to let the other team dictate the matchups, but when two of the game's three best wing players are on the same team, sometimes you have no choice.

To counter the Heat's backcourt of Wade-Miller-LeBron, the Magic would have to go with Redick-Carter-Pietrus, or perhaps Carter-Richardson-Pietrus. That puts even more pressure on Carter to be the team's offensive catalyst, as neither Richardson not Pietrus are particularly good on-ball offensive players.

For all the hoopla about the talent on the Heat, it's their versatility that makes them downright frightening.

From Zach McCann who is now working for the Sentinel...interesting dilemna he proposes...any suggestions for SVG???

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-heat-point-dilemma,0,645416.story

• Downvote 7

What stops us from switching? If they played that line up, we sit Carter for most of the game instead of Nelson. Have Pietrus on Lebron and Q on Wade. I would much rather have Jameer in the game guarding Miller instead of Vince. Plus Jameer would be too quick for Lebron or Wade to guard.

• Upvote 1

It's a legit question, but I think the answer is much easier in practice than theory.

Nelson guards MM. Miller relegates himself to being little more than a spot up shooter and if Miami wants to take the ball out of LeBron & Wade's hands to attempt to post up Miller for the first time in his career, I don't see that as a negative. Worst case scenerio, he proves he can score consistently in the post vs. Meer, you double or condense the D, and dare Wade or any other Heat player to knock down 3's. If nothing works, Duhon is a better option than going big w/VC @ PG, Duhon's spent his entire career guarding SG's.

Bigger issue might be D-Wade guarding Meer...

• Upvote 1

It's a legit question, but I think the answer is much easier in practice than theory.

Nelson guards MM. Miller relegates himself to being little more than a spot up shooter and if Miami wants to take the ball out of LeBron & Wade's hands to attempt to post up Miller for the first time in his career, I don't see that as a negative. Worst case scenerio, he proves he can score consistently in the post vs. Meer, you double or condense the D, and dare Wade or any other Heat player to knock down 3's. If nothing works, Duhon is a better option than going big w/VC @ PG, Duhon's spent his entire career guarding SG's.

Bigger issue might be D-Wade guarding Meer...

I think that's a good point, although in this case Jameer wouldn't be able to play help defense that much, because he wouldn't have enough length to really bother any of Miller's shots. This could also lead to a bit more easier baskets for LeBron/Wade, or perhaps difference schemes on help D for SVG to try to come up with...

I got this from clicking the link

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.orlandosentinel.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

OrlandoSentinel Trying to hack me up, not cool at all :panicworker:

• Upvote 2

I think a back court of Duhon, Pietrus/Q and Vince will work the best to provide the defense, size and still maintain two points of entry into the offense.

An alternating tandem of Pietrus and Q applying constant ball pressure on Lebron should make make him work for every dribble. Duhon (a solid defender) and VC will be fine vs Wade and Miller specially if the defensive execution stays at last years level and Dwight continues his paint dominance.

Offensively as long as Duhon can score effectively and keep the defense from sagging off him to help on Dwight then we should have no problem killing them inside. Also the minute Chalmers is in, a fresh Jameer is immediately in to eviscerate him.

A lineup of Duhon / QRich / Pietrus could also be effective for stretches specially if Dwight's offensive game is clicking.

I would think you would counter with the "Big" lineup of Dwight, Bass, Shard, MP, Duhon. I'm assuming that Bosh is on the floor with that lineup down the stretch, I would have Duhon (did the Sentinel forget we got him? Was this not the entire reason of getting a bigger defensive type PG?) and MP are out there for defensive purposes. I would park whoever Miller is guarding in the post and beat them to death with Dwight and whoever Miller guards. I really don't see Miller stopping Shard or Bass in the post. If they put Bosh on the 3 then I would use Anderson at the 4 and spread them out.