Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Would acquiring J.R. Smith be more realistic/likely than acquiring Melo

Alright I know everyone wants Melo and Paul to form the ultimate team for the Magic. However, its unlikely that we'd get one of the two and virtually impossible that we'd get both. However, the Nuggets are openly shopping J.R. Smith, I guess in an attempt to keep Melo happy. Would it be more realistic/likely for the Magic to acquire J.R. Smith? I think he's a great player who could get some time at the 1 2 or 3.

What do you guys think?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68810/20100823/nuggets_open_to_dealing_jr_smith/

Melo and Smith play different positions, and given that one plays a position where we already have something of a glut(Smith) and the other plays a position where we COULD at least hypothetically add a player(Melo), I think it's obvious that Melo is the only one we'd have any real reason to pursue.

So no, Melo is more realistic simply because, of the two, he's the only one we're likely to actually go after if he's truly available. But we're comparing 0% to 0.00001% here.

J.R. Smith is not a player anyone should want on there team. If he was not a headcase and did not take bad shots he would be an awesome player...... pitty

Even if it's possible for us to go for Smith, I'm not a fan of this. First of all, he would take many minutes from J.J.Redick and I don't see Smith playing good at 3. Second thing, he's a bit too selfish, sometimes he takes some shots that he shouldn't take, and thirdly, I don't really know what should we trade to get J.R.

Only way, where I could agree with J.R. Smith coming to Orlando, is that he could be a part of Carmelo deal :)

Even if it's possible for us to go for Smith, I'm not a fan of this. First of all, he would take many minutes from J.J.Redick and I don't see Smith playing good at 3. Second thing, he's a bit too selfish, sometimes he takes some shots that he shouldn't take, and thirdly, I don't really know what should we trade to get J.R.

Only way, where I could agree with J.R. Smith coming to Orlando, is that he could be a part of Carmelo deal :)

Agreed. And the number$ for Carmelo Anthony/J.R. Smith for Vince Carter/Marcin Gortat are almost an even swap.

J.R. is good for television. He isn't so much for our team, but maybe he changes this year. Like previous posters have said, the SG position is locked down...unless we put Carter on the block before the deadline. :rolleyes: