VCplusD12

Comedy skits

Henny Youngman

Steven Wright

Andrew Dice Clay

Eddie Izzard

Kevin James

Pablo Francisco

When I was younger I used to be able to watch some of Dice's HBO specials. Now he just doesn't do it for me.

Dane Cook's problem has always seemed to be that he's a terrible judge of his material, and he comes up with so damn much of it. It wouldn't have been anything resembling heady, but there was a really solid 40 minute set of comedy on his Retaliation album. It's just that that album was a sprawling, winding 2 disc mess that had absolutely no internal rhythm or flow to it at all. His delivery is also way too broad.

Demetri Martin is basically a more collegiate, less earthy Mitch Hedberg, so saying you like one but not the other is a little odd. There's huge overlap in their subject matter. I understand that delivery is part of that, but both are/were talented comedians who are probably treated as bigger comedic touchstones than they deserve.

Also, I've seen Hedberg, Lewis Black and Zach Galifiankis live, and the only comedian I've ever seen reduce me to tears from laughing so hard was Patton Oswalt. I'm convinced the 5 minutes or so he did on Robert Evans at the show I saw him at(this was around '03 or '04) is simply the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Mitch Hedberg is like the Heath Ledger of comedy. He is great at what he did, but gets more respect than he probably should because he is dead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Mitch Hedberg is like the Heath Ledger of comedy. He is great at what he did, but gets more respect than he probably should because he is dead.

that or kurt cobain. its all about going in your prime. People never get the down turn off of that prime so they generally only remember the best part of the career or expect that prime to go on forever or get even better.

Demetri can't do anything when he's not drawing pictures. Sorry, not showing CarrotTop or Dunham any love either.

That is completely absurd. First off, he has a lot more in his act that just the drawings. He incorporates a lot of traditional stand up in his routine. He also uses a lot of music in his act. He's just a well rounded, talented dude. Also, let's say you are right, and the only thing he does well is draw. It doesn't make the jokes any less funny. It's his delivery and he's very good at it. I can't believe you are ripping Martin and somewhat defending Cook in the same thread.

To even put Martin in the same sentence as Dunham and Carrotop is beyond ridiculous.

Not everyone is dumb enough to think that way. I just love his material and delivery. I found out he was dead well after I discovered him. I wish he would put something new out, though. I''m kind of sick of it now.

I'll take it one step further, but certainly not to a step that hasn't been stepped on before: the art transcends the artist. I don't care if whoever crafted what I'm admiring is dead or selling hot dogs at a carnival; I appreciate what I am hearing, seeing, tasting, smelling, or feeling in the moment.

• Upvote 1

Don't know much about the American comedians being mentioned, these are my fave british stand ups (though our sense of humour is vastly different to Americans I think)

Lee Evans

Eddie Izzard

Jack Dee

Michael McIntyre

Peter Kay

You rival Skip Bayless for "Ridiculous, controversial crap that's usually never true and is bound to create some sort of disgruntled argument over it".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't know much about the American comedians being mentioned, these are my fave british stand ups (though our sense of humour is vastly different to Americans I think)

Lee Evans

Eddie Izzard

Jack Dee

Michael McIntyre

Peter Kay

I've never heard of the other guys, but Eddie Izzard is brilliant.

You rival Skip Bayless for "Ridiculous, controversial crap that's usually never true and is bound to create some sort of disgruntled argument over it".

You don't think there's something to be said when people die way before their time, in the prime of their careers? Generally their effective audience remembers them at the pinnacle of their career without having that slow downspin to tail off the end of their career. Looking at the entire career you see linear improvement rather than a parabola effect with growth and decline.

It's not so much Trey making a dumb statement as Trey making a statement at all which usually causes you to jump on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You don't think there's something to be said when people die way before their time, in the prime of their careers? Generally their effective audience remembers them at the pinnacle of their career without having that slow downspin to tail off the end of their career. Looking at the entire career you see linear improvement rather than a parabola effect with growth and decline.

It's not so much Trey making a dumb statement as Trey making a statement at all which usually causes you to jump on him.

He implied Ledger gets more credit than he should because he is dead. If anything, he gets more credit as a brilliant actor because of the job he did in the Dark Knight. Dead or not, he would be be getting the same sort of praise for a performance for the ages.

Accomplishments are accomplishments whether or not you died early or not. Hedberg was brilliant. If he was alive today, he'd still be brilliant. If his last album wasn't that good, he'd still be brilliant.