Sign in to follow this  
Marc Acres 3:16

Orl Sentinel-Retire Shaq and Penny's Numbers

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Nell2ThaIzzay:

I simply don't agree with the logic against retiring some of these numbers.

They may not have gotten us any championships, but Shaq and Penny are both very integral parts of our franchise's history. The Orlando Magic wouldn't be anywhere near the relevance they are today if it weren't for Penny, Shaq, and Nick. We'd be some obscure, irrelevant team like Minnesota or something.

I know it's a different sport, but as a fan of the 49ers, we have numbers retired for non-Hall of Fame players. Dwight Clark is a perfect example. His number is retired for one single play. ONE play. Not his years of service with the team, but one play.

It just happens to be the most relevant play in the franchise's history.

I see the same with Penny, Shaq, and Nick. Except for Shaq, these aren't HOF players. Except for Nick, they didn't play the majority of their careers here. But these guys are some of the most relevant players to step onto the court wearing a Magic jersey.

I would say there are 4 players at this time who have suited up for the Magic that are worthy of number retiring: Shaq, Penny, Nick, and Dwight.

First, the idea the current Magic's success has anything to do with the flash of success they enjoyed during the Penny/Shaq era is illogical imo.

Second, using a player you feel is unworthy of having his # retired by another organization to justify why other unworthy players should have their # retired by the Magic is a paradox I've yet to unwind.

Third, what makes Shaq & Penny's tenure with Orlando better than T-Mac's? The fact they played on a team good enough to reach the Finals?

Lastly, should Detroit retire Grant Hill's jersey? It would be incredibly hard to claim his 6 seasons in Detroit were not as good or better than the 4 seasons Shaq played in Orlando, the 6 seasons Penny played in Orlando, or the 4 T-Mac played in Orlando imo.

I'm not saying that Dwight Clark isn't worthy of having his # retired, I'm saying that "worthy" has more to do than just stats and championships, but also relevance.

I believe that Penny deserves his # to be retired over T-Mac because Penny was more relevant to the franchise than T-Mac. Penny helped make Orlando more than just a local small market team, but rather a mainstream favorite. Shaq helped with that, but Shaq's NBA relevance came with the Lakers, so I can understand not retiring his jersey. Due to injuries, Penny wasn't relevant anywhere outside of Orlando.

Retiring Nick Anderson's jersey # is obvious on every level.

For the Grant Hill comparison, I don't think that Grant Hill is as relevant to the history of the Detroit Pistons as Penny Hardaway was to us. There are countless players that have played for Detroit that were much more relevant. But for Orlando, there's arguably 1 or 2 players TOPS that have been more relevant than Penny Hardaway (Shaq, and Dwight).

Also, the same reasons being used against Shaq and Penny (didn't care about the franchise or city) are the same reasons I'd use against T-Mac, considering the way he completely disrespected the Orlando Magic organization on his way out. The difference? He didn't put the Magic on the NBA map like Penny did. He merely (for reasons not all his fault, yet not completely blameless) led us into obscurity, mediocrity, and the eventual #1 overall pick.

I'm definitely in favour of a walk of fame thing with a 'Magic Star' or something with a name & number on it, either outside the new arena or in the main entrance or something, for the guys that have made a significant contribution but there should be set guidelines so that having a number retired is really special

when you think the Sentinel can't come up with anything stupid they find a way to make you wrong. Shak? Penny? Please give me a break.

Such honor should be for a player that spends his entire career with the Magic.

Hell no to retiring either of those clowns jersies. It should be reserved for only those special few that leave their mark on a team. Darrell Armstrong or Nick Anderson should be considered ahead of those posers...

I guess the very intention of this Magic article was to make fans throw up in their mouths a little.

I'd love to send a big bro with an LA Lakers jersey to punch the author of this article in the face. Then he'd probably remember why we shouldn't retire Shaq's number.

Retiring a players jersey to me is the way for an organization to acknowledge the loyalty and commitment a player had to progressing the franchise forward. Shaq did not do that for us.