Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic to hire Van Gundy? [official thread]

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
I don't think he wants a few days; he wants the Magic job.

I don't think so either but he might have to stall if the donovan thing can't be rectified today.

Still is it not another endorsement that losing Donovan wouldn't be bad from a basketball level? We are now in line to get a coach that no expert doesn't think is a solid coach and two NBA savvy teams wanted as their FIRST option (Sac and Indy).

From a basketball level Donovan backing out helps because I am not convinced a college coach would have worked out. That seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel here, it's just really hard to see right now because of all of the garbage surrounding it. SVG will be a good choice if we get him, my concern is what happens if we don't.

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:
Originally posted by Black And Blue:

Stan the Man might have a verbal agreement with us to be the next coach, but that is complete b.s. about him faxing the contract. I rarely call anything out directly like that, but dealing with talent on a regular basis I can tell you that a faxed contract would in no way happen. -ESPECIALLY when the contract is for millions of dollars.

Stan couldn't hop in the car and drive to Orlando? I find that to be silly. Plus, it is most likely in Donovan's contract that no other head coach can be hired while he is coach, hence the lawyers working on voiding it.

I hope and pray SVG is our next coach, but a faxed contract? Not a chance.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think this guy just exposed himself. Contracts need original signatures (pen ink on paper). We can fax him the contract so he could look it over, but would have to be here in person, with witness', while he signed it.

I hope he's our coach too, but I can guarentee that the didnt sign it and fax it back to the Magic...

I think faxed contracts have been ruled as legal documents.

Stan,

I would like to sincerely apologize for not hiring you as Magic coach in the first place. As you know we are trying to build an arena and Billy D gave us the biggest splash in the community. Now everyone has turned on me and somehow I am being blamed for this fiasco. I would like to sincerely offer you the Magic job. I am sorry for the comments about Riley forcing you out and the fact that you look like Ron Jeremy. I would also like to apologize in advance once the Sentinel runs the "Donovan Disappears, Van Gundy enters back door" headline. As you know I no longer talk to them just to my friends in Jacksonville. You were always number one in my heart and nobody can ever take that away. We can hold a press conference if you wish but that might be awkward. We will also not offer the option for you to have a follow up in Miami in case people start crying or ask "tough" questions. I have spoken to your wife, kids, in-laws, parents, Jeff, Pat Riley, Dwayne Wade, your cousins, uncles, aunts and they all agree this is the best move for you. There is still champagne on ice at the condo we have for Billy so please enjoy on our dime.

Once again sorry and GO MAGIC!!

Otis Smith

Handcuffed General Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

Did Dooling play PG under SVG or SG? Hiring SVG will almost gaurantee Dooling not opting out.

You know I don't recall (but I think it was PG) but funny you should mention Dooling because I remember just reading in the last few days something that reminded me that Dooling did really well under SVG. I can tell you though SVG loves team basketball and will go nuts if Jameer tries to jack up the kind of shots Jameer likes to take. He WILL bench Jameer if he doesn't get the message. Especially if dooling is sitting over there. anyway I'll reserve those conversations for when and if we do get Stan.

quote:

quote:

Did Dooling play PG under SVG or SG? Hiring SVG will almost gaurantee Dooling not opting out.

You know I don't recall but funny you should mention Dooling because I remember just reading in the last few days something that reminded me that Dooling did really well under SVG. I can tell you though SVG loves team basketball and will go nuts if Jameer tries to jack up the kind of shots Jameer likes to take. He WILL bench Jameer if he doesn't get the message. Especially if dooling is sitting over there. anyway I'll reserve those conversations for when and if we do get Stan.

I remember how well Keyon played in the playoffs the season before he joined us, its great that he has a relationship with SVG because I still beliveve Dooling is a great asset to this team and would like him to stay!

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about SVG as the head coach of this team, but if he's that enthusiastic about coaching the team, that's all I need after Billy D.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

quote:

quote:

You know I don't recall but funny you should mention Dooling because I remember just reading in the last few days something that reminded me that Dooling did really well under SVG. I can tell you though SVG loves team basketball and will go nuts if Jameer tries to jack up the kind of shots Jameer likes to take. He WILL bench Jameer if he doesn't get the message. Especially if dooling is sitting over there. anyway I'll reserve those conversations for when and if we do get Stan.

I remember how well Keyon played in the playoffs the season before he joined us, its great that he has a relationship with SVG because I still beliveve Dooling is a great asset to this team and would like him to stay!

If Dooling can develop a consistant 3pt shot, I could easily see him as 6th man or even starter under SVG.

I would very much prefer SVG over PJ Carlisimo (Otis and Dave's old Golden State buddy).

The young players in Miami loved him and the Vets disliked him. I don't really care what our Vets think, just as long as he developes our young players like he did Odom, Wade and Butler.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Originally posted by fooajk:

you think its a good move to hire someone so quickly. Don't get me wrong, I think SVG is the best we can get right now. But how about Larry Brown?

hes the best candidate if we don't want darko back.

And if we don

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:
Originally posted by Black And Blue:

Stan the Man might have a verbal agreement with us to be the next coach, but that is complete b.s. about him faxing the contract. I rarely call anything out directly like that, but dealing with talent on a regular basis I can tell you that a faxed contract would in no way happen. -ESPECIALLY when the contract is for millions of dollars.

Stan couldn't hop in the car and drive to Orlando? I find that to be silly. Plus, it is most likely in Donovan's contract that no other head coach can be hired while he is coach, hence the lawyers working on voiding it.

I hope and pray SVG is our next coach, but a faxed contract? Not a chance.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think this guy just exposed himself. Contracts need original signatures (pen ink on paper). We can fax him the contract so he could look it over, but would have to be here in person, with witness', while he signed it.

I hope he's our coach too, but I can guarentee that the didnt sign it and fax it back to the Magic...

I think faxed contracts have been ruled as legal documents.

I have been informed by my company's legal department that faxed contracts are indeed technically legal, but could come into problems were they to be questioned. After Donovan's situation, I think our legal deparment would probably try to avoid such a thing.

Ah well, if there was a dispute about the validity of the insider info, we could just go back and check out what he said. Oh wait...he appears to have taken that post down. How very curious! Hee hee.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

SVG is the best option out there and if we wait PJ will be our coach, or this Rambis fella....

SVG wants the job he knows how to develop guards he did develop Wade, and he worked under Pat Riley, maybe he is the coach that will take us where we want to go.....

Stan the man Van gundy

OMG... Have you never heard of Kurt Rambis????