Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Parking fees for new arena to double; Make 3 million for city(link)

I'm going to reserve judgement on the parking price hike until I see just how long the walk takes from the garages that are cheaper.

But I will say this, we should not be making comparisons to larger metropolitan areas that have downtowns that are much more urban than ours. Just because Laker Fan pays 30 bucks to park at Staples doesn't mean that Magic Fan should be grateful to only pay 20 bucks at Amway Center.

It also comes down to timing. 4 seasons ago, parking was 5 bucks. The past two years, it was 10 bucks. Now we are going to 20 bucks. Any uproar associated with the hike will be principally based on the sticker shock of too big a percentage increase in too short a time.

quote:
Originally posted by Natesroom:

well i guess one thing about economics i've learned is that you can charge more when there's more ppl clamoring for something that is in limited supply...

If i have 100,000 Beanie Babies and only 20,000 out of 1 million want it then normally i would lower the cost so that they'll buy more of it..

But if i have 100,000 and 300,000 out of 5.3 million ppl want it i can charge more for it...

That's supply and demand, and guess what? As Drain-O posted:

smile_svgsad.png

quote:

well i guess one thing about economics i've learned is that you can charge more when there's more ppl clamoring for something that is in limited supply...

If i have 100,000 Beanie Babies and only 20,000 out of 1 million want it then normally i would lower the cost so that they'll buy more of it..

But if i have 100,000 and 300,000 out of 5.3 million ppl want it i can charge more for it...

But overall metro population is not the proper comparison. There are a limited number of seats available at each venue, and that number is not a set percentage based on population (which would be more accurate for a direct comparison. In essence, you have a much higher percentage of the population competing for parking in Orlando than you do in D.C.

Theoretically, each city would design it's parking capacity based on population and need, so the high percentage in Orlando would have a more drastic effect than it would in a city like D.C.

Additionally, you would also have to take into account other venues and activity in the immediate areas as well. I have absolutely no idea what is in the surrounding area of the arena in D.C., but there isn't a whole hell of a lot in the immediate area in Orlando most nights, but have you looked for parking close to game time when there is an event at the performing arts center on the same night?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

It's 25 to park within like 4 miles of the Verizon Center in DC. Consider yourselves lucky.

NO way did you just compare the Nations Capital to florida's 5th Largest City in regards to parking...

If you want me to post links there are multiple places for 10 or 15

Miami

Tampa

Orlando?

Fail?

EPIC FAIL FOR YOU

Jacksonville 805,000

Miami 424,662

Tampa 336,823

St. Petersburg 246,407

Orlando 227,000

DC has a City Poulation of 600,000

and a metro area of 5.3 million

Orlando's metro area is 1.13 million

Your numbers are skewed. You can't just go by city population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...orida_(by_population)

Looks like I won't be going to any Magic games anymore. The ticket prices are already too high, now the parking is going up even higher! I prefer watching on my 40 Ince HDTV at home for FREE!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

It's 25 to park within like 4 miles of the Verizon Center in DC. Consider yourselves lucky.

NO way did you just compare the Nations Capital to florida's 5th Largest City in regards to parking...

If you want me to post links there are multiple places for 10 or 15

Miami

Tampa

Orlando?

Fail?

EPIC FAIL FOR YOU

Jacksonville 805,000

Miami 424,662

Tampa 336,823

St. Petersburg 246,407

Orlando 227,000

DC has a City Poulation of 600,000

and a metro area of 5.3 million

Orlando's metro area is 1.13 million

Oh give me a break, St. Pete is a borough of Tampa.

last season when we went to the finals i would park for free under i-4 next to the marriot. during those playoffs they started charging and charged all last season. but hey ill still park under i-4 and just walk its like 2 bucks

Edit: the toll meter things are like 2 bucks not where they charge.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

But overall metro population is not the proper comparison. There are a limited number of seats available at each venue, and that number is not a set percentage based on population (which would be more accurate for a direct comparison. In essence, you have a much higher percentage of the population competing for parking in Orlando than you do in D.C.

Theoretically, each city would design it's parking capacity based on population and need, so the high percentage in Orlando would have a more drastic effect than it would in a city like D.C.

Additionally, you would also have to take into account other venues and activity in the immediate areas as well. I have absolutely no idea what is in the surrounding area of the arena in D.C., but there isn't a whole hell of a lot in the immediate area in Orlando most nights, but have you looked for parking close to game time when there is an event at the performing arts center on the same night?

The parking garage associated with the verizon center isnt even available at $25 for games... They only open for concerts and other stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

and hey, look what i found

quote:
Magic fans have the option of purchasing a Pre-paid Courthouse Advantage Garage Debit Card which reduces the price to just $7.00 per game, then catch the Event Express Shuttle to the game.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/t...arage_courthouse.htm

Told you this ish was available!