Sign in to follow this  
alexjbaum10

Charles Oakley talks about Dwight Howard's mental toughness

If Dwight played in the old days of Oakley where they actually let them play physical the only player who could have stopped him would have been prime day Shaq. His mix of speed, strength, and athleticism would have destroyed the league.

And that is the same that could be said for most players of today. You put any of the elite level players of today and they would have destroyed the league only 20 years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

dwight would've definitely made the league 10 years (or even 20 years ago) due to how physical he is. very reminiscent of the classical center.

skills aside, he just lacks mental toughness and lets people know he's weak minded. the moment that boy gets frustrated his whole game is thrown off.

hopefully the maturity he displayed in the last 3 games of the boston series is a sign of things to come.

but ewing has actually embarrassed himself if you look at dwight's offensive development..... the moment we heard hakeem called up dwight he started playing like new man and was out there being a leader. after all these years hakeem is still out doing patrick ewing.

Wrong on so many levels. if he lacked mental toughness he woulda mailed it in vs the c's, instead he fought back and conquered them to a degree

quote:
Originally posted by RadiantShot:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

10 bucks says Ewing isn't with this team next year and Olajuwon or somebody else takes his spot.

BET ME RITE NOW.

I'll bet you once you can spell, "Rite," rite.

Fixed.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:
"He wouldn't have even made the league ten years ago. He would be on the bench"

Blatant contradiction FTW.

ALREADY POINTED THAT OUT STUPIDS READ AT THIS LOL WITH YOUR BS SERIOUSLY MANG OK COBRA

quote:
Originally posted by ninjapj:

quote:
Originally posted by IronMaiden:

I used to think Oakley sunglasses were Charles Oakley's line of fashion wear. I was young, sue me.

you mean they're not??

Somehow I get that feeling that I just told a young child the truth about Santa.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

If Dwight played in the old days of Oakley where they actually let them play physical the only player who could have stopped him would have been prime day Shaq. His mix of speed, strength, and athleticism would have destroyed the league.

And that is the same that could be said for most players of today. You put any of the elite level players of today and they would have destroyed the league only 20 years ago.

I agree about Dwight. Back in the day they actually let post players play and battle for position. However, Dwight would have had to defend much better offensive centers than he does now.

I think the elite perimeter players of today would have been worse 10-15 yrs ago (except for Kobe, who has no offensive weakness). The rules today are catered to perimeter players with the intent of having higher scoring games. I doubt Lebron gets to the basket at will every time if hand-checking was still allowed.

quote:
Originally posted by Bun B:

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

I agree about Dwight. Back in the day they actually let post players play and battle for position. However, Dwight would have had to defend much better offensive centers than he does now.

I think the elite perimeter players of today would have been worse 10-15 yrs ago (except for Kobe, who has no offensive weakness). The rules today are catered to perimeter players with the intent of having higher scoring games. I doubt Lebron gets to the basket at will every time if hand-checking was still allowed.

Even with the hand checking I doubt defenders then could have stopped today's elite perimeter players. Guys like Dwade and Lebron are as physically powerful as the strongest power forwards of those days. With hand checking also comes the offense ability to be just as rough back to the d. Guys like Lebron would have been able to bull through offensive players even more so now.

That and point guards have changed more then probably any player in the game. The athleticism and speed that you see with guys like CP3 and Rondo, or the strength from a guy like Deron Williams, or heck even the dead eye shooting and dribbling skills of someone like Jameer Nelson. Older point guards would have stood no chance against them.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ninjapj:

quote:

I used to think Oakley sunglasses were Charles Oakley's line of fashion wear. I was young, sue me.

you mean they're not??

Somehow I get that feeling that I just told a young child the truth about Santa.

what truth about santa? are you making this stuff up?

Really dumb statement by Oakley. Athletes in nearly all sports have improved from previous era's. Players are coached better. They eat better. Training regimes are better, new and improved techniques are used. It allows athletes to become stronger, fitter, more skillful and better conditioned. Technological advances allow for all aspects of a sport to be improved.

If you took a team from the present and a team from the 70's, I would say 99 percent of present day teams would absolute destroy teams from a previous era.