Sign in to follow this  
jec

Courtney Lee vs Vince Carter

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Where was I wrong?

In that, you think your opinion matters more than a good juicy fart.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, but KITNO was spot on about Ryan Anderson. He came out of the gates strong, but he proved to be very much like Pat Garrity toward the end of the season. The 36 year old Pat Garrity

I miss Leeonidas.

He was only a freakin rookie last year, I think he would've came out these next few years with something to prove. Especially because anyone not from Orlando or Jersey would only know who he is if you say "the guy with the Rip Hamilton face mask who missed the game winning layup in the finals."

sighsighsigh.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Where was I wrong?

In that, you think your opinion matters more than a good juicy fart.

smile_shardhappy.png

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

I miss Lee, but he would not have solved our problem in the series. We needed a slasher to take pressure off of Dwight and Jameer.

give the guy time to grow. we don't know what he would've done or been able to do past his rookie season with the right people to develop him. and no i'm not saying he had potential to be the 2nd coming of d-wade.

The Nets won 34 games in 08-09 with Vince, and 12 games in 09-10 with Lee.

Obviously that isn't ALL because of those two guys, there were other factors (like injuries to Devin Harris), but the VC for Lee swap is a major factor.

I rather have CLee. A much better defender and really even though stats don't indicate it, he was one of the reasons why we went as far as we did last year.

He was behind Dwight, Meer, Lewis, and Hedo on offense.

quote:
Originally posted by VC_Fan:

The Nets won 34 games in 08-09 with Vince, and 12 games in 09-10 with Lee.

Obviously that isn't ALL because of those two guys, there were other factors (like injuries to Devin Harris), but the VC for Lee swap is a major factor.

This is a very unfair comparison. The whole point of the trade - from Thorn's POV - was to dump salary and start rebuilding. They weren't supposed to challenge for a playoff spot.

As with any non-star player, his surroundings can have a huge impact on his performance. Success breeds confidence which breeds success. C Lee had that here while he was a part of a dominant team. It all but disappeared in NJ. If he was back here, he'd be the same player all over again.

CLee was a nice player and a great person, someone extremely easy to root for. However, what the team needed was a go-to option for end of game situations, a player that you could iso and that would score, create or get to the foul line...especially since Hedo was gone. VC was that type of player in the past but this year proved that he no longer can do those sort of things. With that being said, CLee is not that type of player either and would not have made a difference there. Vince was brought in for offense and he performed just as well--if not better--than CLee would have.

With VC occupying the "Hedo role" that allowed Otis to bring in Barnes. IMO, the more accurate comparison would be CLee/Barnes since they both played similar roles. In that case, I would rather have Lee. I thought in their main roles--wing defender--they performed similarly, but Lee is a much more consistent shooter from 3. Especially in the Boston series, Barnes was the player teams doubled off of because he wasn't a consistent threat from 3. As it turns out, the biggest problem in that series wasn't defense but rather scoring points.

quote:
Originally posted by HerdNation:

CLee was a nice player and a great person, someone extremely easy to root for. However, what the team needed was a go-to option for end of game situations, a player that you could iso and that would score, create or get to the foul line...especially since Hedo was gone. VC was that type of player in the past but this year proved that he no longer can do those sort of things. With that being said, CLee is not that type of player either and would not have made a difference there.

What are you basing this on?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I'm assuming that you feel C Lee is not this type of player because he hasn't been asked to do this in the pros. But what you may be forgetting is that he was EXACTLY this type of player at Western Kentucky.

As with most NBA players, C Lee was the MAN in college. But he just didn't play for a big time program. But what if he had done the exact same thing at Duke or UConn - he'd have been a lottery pick and likely expected to perform this role on his NBA team.

VC was an explosive player for a high-profile college program that was stacked with NBA talent. Since his first day in the NBA, he was expected to be the scorer on his team and this has been the case his entire career.

Let me stress, I'm not saying that Courtney Lee is comparable in talent to Vince Carter. But what I am saying is that Courtney Lee IS a similar type of player, and perfectly capable of performing a similar role. The unknown is how well he would/could perform in that role and whether he will ever have a chance to find out.

as for the college pedigree, there's a reason guys at UNC and UConn are asked to be go-to scorers: it's because they've done it against the best in college. there is a difference to scoring 20ppg against georgetown, duke, WVU, GT than teams in the Sun Belt. but, i'm not exactly sure what this has to do with the comparison. VC has done it at all levels; CLee has not.

however, you are correct to a certain extent. we do not know for sure if CLee is that type of player--a player you can isolate at the end of games so he could create, score or get to the foul line. we never really got to see him in that role. but there may be a reason for that.

it's logical to come to the conclusion that SVG didn't think Lee was that type of player. do you remember the Magic running any pindowns or clearouts for lee? was he consistently involved in pick-and-rolls (was he ever involved)? Lee was at best the 6th option on offense (behind Dwight, Hedo, Jameer, Rashard and Rafer). i'm no basketball genius, but SVG is; he didn't seem to think Lee can handle the role last year.

who knows, maybe Lee can develop into that type of player. but that's a separate discussion. that's less VC vs. Lee and more JJ vs. Lee.