Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Steve Kyler on why the Magic chose Billy and our NBA draft plans

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
The PG that interests me is Jared Jordan

I've also been interested in drafting this guy, but right now, with Billy D as the coach, I'm not sure if I'd still like drafting him. I think the running pace would do wonders for Carlos and Jameer, and to consider that I always find the PG position as the hardest position to play.

I agree, I'm just not sure if the Magic are planning on trading one or more of their current point guards to free up capspace. If that is the case, they should think about drafting another point guard.

I really like what I've heard about Jordan. It sounds like he is a pure point guard and that's exactly what we need. Dowdell sounds like a good player but he sounds like the same kind of player that Jameer is. If we're going to draft another point it should be someone with a different set of strengths.

I think if we are serious about getting a wing scorer theres little reason to keep Jameer around. I don't think Hill had anything to do with Jameer's shoot first attitude. He and Hedo (who is just too off and on for my liking) have value on the market and moving them can help us clear some cap space as well. I'd also prefer to trade for a pick rather than trade for a player already drafted. gives us more options and there are a few teams that might bite. Might even be able to wheel and deal the pick and go up a few slots higher.

You may be right but we both know that Otis isn't trading Jameer this summer. I haven't given up on Jameer quite yet anyway. Most of the good scoring point guards in the league took a couple of years to adjust before they were truly effective. If Jameer plays next year without showing any progress then I will agree with you. Besides his contract (unless combined with another player) won't allow us to get any value in return because the salaries won't match.

In my opinion we give nelson, arroyo and diener another chance. unfortunately that leaves dooling out but he could bring back the most of the 4. i think lewis is what should get and call it a day. starting lineup of jameer/jj/lewis/darko/dwight. second unit arroyo/ariza/hill/battie/???. keep diener as backup for arroyo or jameer which ever one starts out the worst. that is a running team and the lineups are balanced. i was high on a tall point guard but after seeing what gibson did to detroit it is no longer a necessity. I think we will be fine with who we have and concentrate on other areas.

That would be a horrible second lineup.....

We get Lewis we start Hill and bring JJ off the bench, or we start Ariza at shooting guard and bring JJ behind him.

Personally, here's what I'd do:

Keep Jameer

Sign Chucky Atkins as vet PG

Draft a good-size true PG who can also defend.

Trade Carlos, Diener, and Dooling to free up capspace. I like them, but they're not part of our "core" and they'll hold us back from draft a couple of FAs.

i would trade jameer if it meant we could get jarvis. unless we lose hedo, rashard lewis would just be a duplication of talent. besides, there are too many teams vying for lewis' services. he would cost us too much to be worthwhile.

While Crittenton is a good player, he's also a tough prospect. I really think he should go back to GA for another year because he's just a freshman and his decision making is not all that good. If he comes to the NBA he would have to spend almost half of his rookie season in the NBDL. Think Gerald Green... Looooong time to reach full potential

We should get a NBA READY PG in Acie Law

I think Jameer will thrive at the PG position next season under Billy D and a big time free agent added to this roster will make the Magic a contender for the Eastern Conference championship and for an NBA title - they would have a legitimate shot next year - likely they won't make it due to lack of experience, but they have the talent and could land a championship within 3 seasons.