Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

Will this work ??? Otis and Billy

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

I think it will...

What's your opinion ?

No doubt in my mind..... They think alike. To accept mediocrity is foolish. BOTH have a TRUE vision. I never thought I'd say Otis would be a good GM, but MAN, I'm truly impressed. Ole Dizzy Dean has shocked me with his performance so far.

It seems like finding a HC that works smoothly hand in hand with him was one of Otis' major priorities in the candidates. There's no doubt in my mind that if those two didn't feel they could mesh that this would have happened. They seemed very comfortable together up there today.

Don't know how well it will work yet of course but if it fails I don't think it will be because of discension between the two.

there have only been a few media (Radio or Newspaper) guy/girls who think this is going to work. I think we have a better team than those other college coaches have had. We have a College team or maybe a year out of college kind of team so i think this will work. Greg Anthony said on ESPNEWS there could not have been a better hire for this team because Billy is a TEACHER and with as young as we are that is the kind of coach we need. He also said Billy unlike other coaches has immediate Pull with the players becasue two straight years all he has done is won it all. So I thought that was pretty much the way I feel about the hiring of Billy Donovan and Otis Smith to help him as our GM.

BIANCHI EATS CROW

BIANCHI EATS CROW

The main reason many in the media have been quick to say Donovan in Orlando will not work and will not be successful because that's the easy thing to write. Throw up the old "college coaches aren't successul in the NBA" and you have an easy story ready for print.

This is not a college coach going to an NBA team with the cupboard bare. This Calipari going to NJ, Montgomery to GS, or Patino to Boston. This Magic team has a ton of good, young, and untapped talent. You have one of the most important pieces to success in a franchise center. Build outward from there.

Donovan will be successful in Orlando. The media types just throw it out there in order to say "told you so" in the future. Not a peep of course if Donovan because a success in Orlando.

I saw more cohesiveness between the two of them yesterday than I think I've ever seen between Otis and BHill throughout the years.

I don't see any problems at all. After the conference I think Donovan could work with almost anyone. I never got the impression that Otis is a difficult man to get along with either. In fact, they have one thing in common....they both feel its important to develop relationships with the players.

Whats up JD. Haven't seen you in a while. This should work because Otis has gotten all the "young" talent for this team and Billy Donovan is a "young" talent developer.

People who say it won't work are just jawing. They are like the ones who wouldn't have sent Columbus to the new world because HISTORY proved that the world was flat.

Donovan is not Pitino, or any of the other college coaches who jumped into the NBA.

Nobody knows anything at this point. I think the better course is to wait and see what is gonna happen. That is half the fun of all of this.

Truth is, no matter who we hired there would have been a bunch of naysayers who are unhappy because their version of the perfect coach wasn't selected.

Now that it is done, let's make peace.

Then let's make HISTORY.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

they both feel its important to develop relationships with the players.

That sounds like a huge key to success in Donovan's mind and I fully agree. He must have mentioned the word or phrase "build relationships" at least 20 times during the PC yesterday.

And we're not talking about being your best bud and hanging out off the field like Mark Cuban does with his players. It's imporant to build a basketball relationship where everyone in the organization is on the same page.