Sign in to follow this  
Luke_FfS

Howard leaves agent - UPD. PG2 Could skip W.Championship

quote:
In what could be considered a risky upheaval for such a crucial time of the season, Dwight Howard(notes) has left his long-time agent, Aaron Goodwin, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Howard

quote:
In what could be considered a risky upheaval for such a crucial time of the season, Dwight Howard(notes) has left his long-time agent, Aaron Goodwin, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Howard

The other day I heard from someone that Dwight wants to explore free agency when his contract ends. Something about wanting to be back home in Atlanta. Now, the guy that told me this was wearing a tinfoil hat, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

isn't Goodwin also Matt Barnes agent, this was seen as one of the reasons we had an advantage at keeping him for a good price!

correct...

I guess Goodwin, getting Dwight a massive extension, and helping to make him one of the most exposed athletes in the world just isn't quite cutting it...

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

The other day I heard from someone that Dwight wants to explore free agency when his contract ends. Something about wanting to be back home in Atlanta. Now, the guy that told me this was wearing a tinfoil hat, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

You are cruel and Al Horford is mad at you for exposing his worst nightmare.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

They'll both be gone next season. Book it.

You heard it here first, gentlemen and lady.

When youre an obvious max contract player, and already have the heavy hitting sponsorship resume like Dwight has, why do you need some guy taking a cut out of your earnings? Seriously, I bet T-mobile and Adidas were calling Goodwin to sign Dwight up anyway, not the other way around. I am sure it was smart to have an agent as an out of high school/#1 draft pick...but it seems unneccesary now.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

When youre an obvious max contract player, and already have the heavy hitting sponsorship resume like Dwight has, why do you need some guy taking a cut out of your earnings? Seriously, I bet T-mobile and Adidas were calling Goodwin to sign Dwight up anyway, not the other way around. I am sure it was smart to have an agent as an out of high school/#1 draft pick...but it seems unneccesary now.

I agree that the top stars in the league have less need for negotiation during contract talks. However, I still think it is prudent to have someone on your team that is familiar with contract language and knows the marketing business. At the least, have a lawyer present at all times. If Dwight has a family member with that type of expertise, then he should be set.

But any time I hear about this kind of thing, I just sounds sketchy. Remember a few years ago when LeBron did this and started to employ his childhood friends/teammates as his reps?

If your family/friends need job, let them be assistants. Putting them between you & your $ is beyond dumb.

It's ignorant to think endorsements find players & I'll bet execs do low fives under the table every time some celebrities hommie, mommy, or cousin show up for a negotation instead of an agents.

has anyone here ever read the first paragraph of any contract? i hope his family has some serious degrees and experience, or it looks like dwight's media spotlight might be no more.