Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

quote:
"What that does is erode fan confidence, and then we get some of the situations that we have."

Stern either just doesn't get it or doesn't care. I can't tell which. That article just makes me hate him more.

It's not coaches and players saying what we already know that corrodes confidence in the league you arrogant *****. It's years of consistently poor calls, rigged games, crooked refs and a league that just nothing but deny that erodes our confidence in NBA.

Instead of fining coaches and players for calling out a system that makes their jobs more difficult, how about you implement an open and honest plan for officiating the league that punishes poor and vindictive refs. A good time to start considering putting a new system into motion might have been, I don't know, when a former referee was caught by the FBI openly gambling on your games.

And I in turn call out Stern! GET SOME BETTER REFS! If you are going to fine players and coaches $35K for complaining about your lousy refs, then fine the lousy refs $35K (after you review the game) for the lousy calls that are drawing the ire of the players, coaches, and fans of every team. The NCAA tournament refs are way better than what we see in the NBA.

quote:
Originally posted by and1mixtape:

Stern called out Stan

"It's corrosive," Stern said. "It's corrosive, and because of the pressure cooker that is the NBA playoffs, over the years I've let it go, but when you hear a Chicago coach say, 'Oh, they're doing it because' ... or, 'This game was lost because NBC wants an extra game,' and you hear a New York coach say, 'Well, what are you going to do? [Michael] Jordan gets all the calls.'

"Or you hear a Stan Van Gundy do what he wants to say and then the players join in. We know, inside the community, what it's meant to do, so, 'OK, it's playoff time, everyone's crazy so back off,' but, if I had to do it again, I would stop it and the price wouldn't be a modest $35,000 fine. It would be whatever a day's pay is and then two days pay and then a week's pay.

"And if someone wants to try me in the rest of these playoffs, you know, make my day because the game is too important and I don't think that the people who trash it are respecting it and we'll do what we have to do -- to players and coaches alike."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-...ews/story?id=5127532

Ive never hated David Stern more than I do now after reading that crap. It is blatantly obvious that the officiating in basketball is terrible, players see it, coaches see it, fans see it. Instead of seeing this as a potential problem and doing something to fix it he shuts them up with threats of more than $35,000?!

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

quote:
"What that does is erode fan confidence, and then we get some of the situations that we have."

Stern either just doesn't get it or doesn't care. I can't tell which. That article just makes me hate him more.

It's not coaches and players saying what we already know that corrodes confidence in the league you arrogant *****. It's years of consistently poor calls, rigged games, crooked refs and a league that just nothing but deny that erodes our confidence in NBA.

Instead of fining coaches and players for calling out a system that makes their jobs more difficult, how about you implement an open and honest plan for officiating the league that punishes poor and vindictive refs. A good time to start considering putting a new system into motion might have been, I don't know, when a former referee was caught by the FBI openly gambling on your games.

Exactly!!!

Who's he kidding. Ref image tarnished by coaches and players complaining to the media? Is he high?

The mediocre culture refs have created over the last 30 years of calling it differently for the superstars instead of calling what you see, a corrupt official hinting there's more to the story. Maybe that's whats doing it Sterny.

There is another quote from the same Stern talk where he says Jackson and Riley have been playing games in the media for a long time,

David, that is a game you are really good at.

The really annoying part is that Stan deliberately went out of his way to not criticize the refs. He specificially said, "I'm not saying that they weren't fouls." It didn't matter, Stern still fined him! I have to wonder if Stan knew he was going to get fined regardless whether he would have really let it rip and got his money's worth.

Is it in the players/ coaches contracts to not talk about certain things? like cmon... its fcking America!! Dont we have the rights to say what we want or what?

quote:
Originally posted by LinkZ2009:

Is it in the players/ coaches contracts to not talk about certain things? like cmon... its fcking America!! Dont we have the rights to say what we want or what?

Well yes, but if you're a player in the NBA, you have to respect the league. Kind of like when you're a student in high school, you can't just say whatever you want or you'll get detention by the principle, only in the NBA, Stern is the principle.

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:
Originally posted by and1mixtape:

B.S. From Stern, who thinks he's a dictator...

Ive never hated David Stern more than I do now after reading that ***. It is blatantly obvious that the officiating in basketball is terrible, players see it, coaches see it, fans see it. Instead of seeing this as a potential problem and doing something to fix it he shuts them up with threats of more than $35,000?!

Stern has done more to destroy the game of basketball than any other person. He's turned one of the best team sports into a 1 on 5 game. He let's the refs get away with anything they want.

And to call out SVG when all he asked is what the hell is a foul? BS, bigtime. I can't wait until Stern retires. Unfortunately, it won't matter because Stu Jackson will probably take his place, and he's a carbon copy of Stern.

I'm sure Dwight will reimburse Barnes for this bull****.

The league is a joke. Dwight gets the most ticky tack fouls called against him and then when another center is being physical with him, the other center gets the call. It's a complete double standard, and I'm tired of it.

Apparently Barnes and the Magic are as well.

I think the worst quote is actually "You guys know that our referees go out there and knock themselves out to do the best job they can.."

So now he's telling everyone what we know as well. I'm glad I've got someone else to think for me because I do often find it hard to form my own opinion.

Also "

quote:
"And if someone wants to try me in the rest of these playoffs, you know, make my day because the game is too important and I don't think that the people who trash it are respecting it and we'll do what we have to do -- to players and coaches alike."

This is my favorite part, "the game is too important." Really? Is it? You don't give a **** about the game, you are a business man who's goal number 1 is to make money and market your product and that's fine but don't give me this garbage about how you feel the game is too important. You've raped the game by over expanding the league, marketing single players rather than a team concept (like the NFL), and by turning a blind eye to issues that need to be addressed with reffing and fouls in general all in the name of making money, none of that has anything to do with repect for the game. Please go ahead and make my day Mr. 4 foot tall tough guy and walk yourself into oncoming traffic.