Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

Let me first begin by saying that I am not a fan of the conspiracy theories that are projected onto the NBA. They take a certain amount of enjoyment away from a sport I love, and turn any questionable whistle into a bitter moment.

Isn't it possible that the NBA officials have no hidden agenda they're perpetrating and that they are just bad at doing their jobs? Isn't it also possible that David Stern is flat out incompetent because he doesn't address the inequities in the officiating?

Having said that, I would like to provide a space for anyone that is frustrated with a whistle, or string of whistles, to document those calls and get it off their chests.

I'll start.

After the Magic took a 21pt lead three minutes into the second half, it seemed as though the momentum was quickly drained from our team. In the ensuing 5 minutes (9 possessions for CHA) the Magic were whistled for 8 fouls and one technical (putting both Howard and VC in foul trouble) resulting in 12 Bobcats FTs.

Let me first begin by saying that I am not a fan of the conspiracy theories that are projected onto the NBA. They take a certain amount of enjoyment away from a sport I love, and turn any questionable whistle into a bitter moment.

Isn't it possible that the NBA officials have no hidden agenda they're perpetrating and that they are just bad at doing their jobs? Isn't it also possible that David Stern is flat out incompetent because he doesn't address the inequities in the officiating?

Having said that, I would like to provide a space for anyone that is frustrated with a whistle, or string of whistles, to document those calls and get it off their chests.

I'll start.

After the Magic took a 21pt lead three minutes into the second half, it seemed as though the momentum was quickly drained from our team. In the ensuing 5 minutes (9 possessions for CHA) the Magic were whistled for 8 fouls and one technical (putting both Howard and VC in foul trouble) resulting in 12 Bobcats FTs.

I think its just because alot (not all) of refs are egotistic. They want to make there mark on the game.

I dont like the tic-tac foul calls, I dont think the game needs to have those calls. If they were not called there would be less arguments, less tech fouls, less foul outs. all of that.

Another type of foul which needs to be looked out is the one when players drive through the lane and put there shoulder straight into a defender. This should not be a defenders foul.

I dont like slow games that have **** loads of free throws, and I dont think many would.

I do like a bit more physical games, and where the defence is rewarded for strong (not dirty ie. Garnett / Bruce Bowen) defence.

I don't believe in any conspiracies against the Magic or any other team, but I can't rule out the possibility that they actively manage the flow of the games in an attempt to make it more "exciting" for the average TV viewer. If the officiating was consistently bad, I might might not feel this way, but all to often the games are called in a fair and mostly accurate manner for much of the game, and then it seems like someone flips a stupid switch and the officiating becomes incredibly lopsided for a period of time. Just long enough for the game to become interesting again usually.

i have to agree. however when you are behind the idea is to go to the basket, create, and look for the foul. i will say there are a special few in the nba who get, lets say, special consideration. none of which are on the magic.

I see several factors involved at times.

1) The most obvious, the ref is plain bad. Everytime I see Benito Santiago walk onto the floor I know Dwight will be foul trouble.

2) The ability of coaches and star players to influence the refs.

During the Spurs game a few weeks back the calls were not going their way so Coach Pop gets tossed intentionaly. The second half Manu pretty much goes into "protective custody" by the refs.

I was told at halftime by someone sitting near the Bobcats bench that Larry Brown stayed on the court to chat with the refs and even complemented them on their work in the 1st half.

Knowing screaming was not working with this crew he took the nice approach instead.

I love Stan and Dwight but neither have much luck at working the refs, a skill both need to improve upon.

3)Sometimes refs call the game by the score unintentionally helping the team that is down big. Goukas has mentioned this several times in broadcasts, although I still unsure of this one.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishop303:

I don't believe in any conspiracies against the Magic or any other team, but I can't rule out the possibility that they actively manage the flow of the games in an attempt to make it more "exciting" for the average TV viewer. If the officiating was consistently bad, I might might not feel this way, but all to often the games are called in a fair and mostly accurate manner for much of the game, and then it seems like someone flips a stupid switch and the officiating becomes incredibly lopsided for a period of time. Just long enough for the game to become interesting again usually.

I semi agree with this.

It's like when you get too much of a lead in NBA jam or any other video game with CPU assist on.

They always come back no matter what you do...

More often than not, a team down big will receive the benefit of the whistle, especially a team that drives as much as Charlotte. Maybe they didn't want Michael's team to lose by 30+, I don't know.

What I do know is that the game was officiated very poorly on both ends. I was under the impression that ticky-tack fouls disappear once the playoffs roll around, but evidently, this isn't the case. NBA officials are simply awful. Their frequent whistling stagnates the flow of what could otherwise be a very exciting game. Blatant, deliberate fouls like the one's Dwight gets down low are fine, but they really need to begin tightening up around the perimeter. Carter's fouls were a joke.

Coaches go over game films with their players of every game and talk about what went right, what went wrong, and what needs to be improved. Refs should be subjected to the same on-going training, and just like players if they screw up too much they should be benched.

Fouls should be changed to:

if it changes the shot-call it, if it doesn't-don't

if a player initiates the contact and gains an unfair advantage-call it

elbows-call it

if a player puts his shoulder down and bulls through people to the basket-offensive

if a player is still moving to slide in a players way-defensive

if a player runs into a non moving screen-defensive foul

if you don't see a foul-don't guess

if 2 players go up for a rebound without pushing off-there is no foul

if a guy is on the floor with the ball rolling around-that's traveling

if a guy has the ball on the floor and a player jumps on his back to tie up the ball-that's a foul not a jump ball

the NBA allows 2 steps-3 or more is traveling regardless of who it is

We need more replays and also coaches challenges, Every tech given on a bad call should be rescinded.

The NBA refs should be the best there are, but they are not. The refs should know the rules (MPs dunk off the inbound pass-a pass from out of bounds is not a shot and therefore there can be no basket interference or goal tending)The way some games are called is a joke! The refs are not there to control the outcome of the game, and should act like it!