Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Schmitz says UF will call a press conference next week to announce Billy stays(blog)

quote:

With Marc-a-roni and Billy Gone, Who's Magic Coach?

Posted on May 30, 2007 5:01:21 PM

The Memphis Grizzlies are calling a news conference Thursday to introduce Marc Iavaroni as their new head coach.

The Florida Gators are planning on making a "major announcement" next week in which they will announce that Billy Donovan has re-signed a contract extension.

So, if Marc-a-roni and Billy were on the Magic's short list, who's on top of the list now?

Don't know if the Magic wanted either man, although I know for a fact that they contacted Donovan's agent, Lonnie Cooper.

It's not a surprise that Billy isn't coming. But did the Magic waste time getting to Iavaroni while taking three weeks to fire Brian Hill?

All we know is that the Magic's list might now look something like this:

Rick Carlisle, former Indiana coach.

P.J. Carlesimo, former coach at Portland and Golden State. He is now an assistant with San Antonio.

Terry Porter, former coach at Milwaukee. He is now an assistant with Detroit.

Stan Van Gundy, former coach with the Miami Heat.

Or Mystery Coach X.

Perhaps the longer the Magic's search goes on, the more it might indicate that Carlesimo and Porter might be in the running, but can't or won't interview until their playoff run ends.

I am totally at a loss for words. Has anybody else heard that Billy is gonna sign an extension? I hope Schmitz is not passing on false news.

Man, our coaching situation has me completely baffled. I have no idea what Otis is thinking. Anyone that has insider news I'm all ears!(lol)

I give up trying to figure it out!!!

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/05/with_marcaroni_.html

quote:

The Memphis Grizzlies are calling a news conference Thursday to introduce Marc Iavaroni as their new head coach.

The Florida Gators are planning on making a "major announcement" next week in which they will announce that Billy Donovan has re-signed a contract extension.

So, if Marc-a-roni and Billy were on the Magic's short list, who's on top of the list now?

Don't know if the Magic wanted either man, although I know for a fact that they contacted Donovan's agent, Lonnie Cooper.

It's not a surprise that Billy isn't coming. But did the Magic waste time getting to Iavaroni while taking three weeks to fire Brian Hill?

P.J. Carlesimo, former coach at Portland and Golden State. He is now an assistant with San Antonio.

Or Mystery Coach X.

Perhaps the longer the Magic's search goes on, the more it might indicate that Carlesimo and Porter might be in the running, but can't or won't interview until their playoff run ends.

I am totally at a loss for words. Has anybody else heard that Billy is gonna sign an extension? I hope Schmitz is not passing on false news.

Man, our coaching situation has me completely baffled. I have no idea what Otis is thinking. Anyone that has insider news I'm all ears!(lol)

I'm guessing Carlsimo,but who the freak knows,it's getting frustratin,and fa seaon hasn't started yet were gonna be out of our minds by then. I'm just guessing ,but Otis will treat fa' seaon just like looking for a coach take his sweet a time,and then sign Keith Bogans.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Or Mystery Coach X.

Yeah BJ, this was my point about getting all wound up about an unrealistic prospect.....I say Carlise was the most responsible choice (not sexy) but good choice and yes give SVG a look as well. Tough day for us Magic fans!!!!

Maybe the "big announcement" is that Billy Donovan has decided to jump to the NBA and they are getting a new coach... ugh, Ill say it again.. I hate loving this team!

this was written on Inside the Magic's blog (new "insider" I introduced yesterday. Therefore, TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

quote:
The Magic just finished talking with UF coach Billy Donovan. Donovan's agent was contacted yesterday and the Magic talked with Billy himself today.... This comes to a shock to me and many others that work within the organization as it was felt by many that they Magic should go the route of a coach with nba experience. Carlesimo is still considered the front runner but this has changed things quite a bit...

This was written before Schmitz's blog came out.

Chosen, I was only getting excited because John Denton lead me to believe there was a real opportunity to get Billy and that the Magic were pusuing him.

Then Schmitz blogs this news that UF is calling a "big announcement".

Man, either Otis is pissing these guys off these guys are pissing Otis off or something. Can't figure it out.

All I know is we just lost the top 2 guys on my list for future coach of the Magic. I also think they were on the top of the sportswriter's also.

Heres whats happening. After 2 years of trying to get Brian Hill to do what he wants, Otis says forget that and is getting his old gang together. He'll hire PJ so that he can boss him around. The Billy D agent contacting thing? Yeah, that should've been done DAYS ago. That should've been done the day after BHill was fired. Thats just so fans don't say "Why didn't they try to go after Billy D?"