Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Nelson (20-12)...With J. Will (13-4) Sentinel

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Doesn't a fast pace somewhat negate the advantage we have in Dwight? I mean, sure, if he runs the entire game, he'll beat the opposing center down the court. But he's the best center in the game, and is best utilized in the half-court, not to mention the defensive benefits of having the ability to grind it out in the half court.

Can't we have the best of both worlds? Dwight can play at a fast pace on the offensive end and still be capable of stagnating the opponent's flow on the defensive end. It's not as if we play at a ssol-pace. We run the break more so on turnovers than on standard defensive stops.

To be honest, I think Dwight is underused on the break. He consistently beats his man down the other end only to have our teammates realize it when it's too late, to which he then responds by pinning his man under the basket and calling for the ball, as opposed to catching a lobbed pass over his head and flushing one down.

JWill has played every game this year so he's more of a constant than a variance.

That our record is better when AJ plays instead of Jameer tells me the statistical evidence is too weak to validate.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

quote:
Originally posted by cpower:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I can dismiss that stat really easily, actually. Watch:

Our record with Jason Williams starting: 13-4(.764)

Our record with Dwight Howard starting: 33-16(.673)

Ergo: Jason Williams is better than Dwight Howard.

See how stupid that logic is?

You should look at this way:

so Our Our record with Dwight Howard starting and Nelson starting: 20-12

And Our Our record with Dwight Howard starting and Jwill starting: 13-4

it speaks itself

+1,000,000 excellent

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cpower:

quote:

I can dismiss that stat really easily, actually. Watch:

Our record with Jason Williams starting: 13-4(.764)

Our record with Dwight Howard starting: 33-16(.673)

Ergo: Jason Williams is better than Dwight Howard.

See how stupid that logic is?

You should look at this way:

so Our Our record with Dwight Howard starting and Nelson starting: 20-12

And Our Our record with Dwight Howard starting and Jwill starting: 13-4

it speaks itself

Or I could just look at it as you're an obnoxious moron, and have the reading comprehension skills of a prairie vole. But I'll humor you with a different example.

Spurs starting Antonio McDyess at PF: 3-0)1.000)

Spurs with Tim Duncan starting at PF: 24-19(.558)

Ergo: The Spurs are better off with McDyess than with Duncan.

You're sooooo off the mark DOM. Throwing insults when you really have no case. You need to meditate or something. The "moron" you speak of has a point. This topic was brought up by Dennis Neumann and color analyst Richie Adubato (former Magic head coach). It's very obvious that JWill handles his business on the court.

Revisit the prophecy

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/0...t-guard-controversy/

JWill

mpg 22.9, fg%.455, 3p%.397, ft%.688, apg 4.1, spg.76, bpg.06, topg 1.12, ppg 7.0

Meercat

mpg 27.7, fg%.442, 3p%.376, ft%.836, apg 4.7, spg.75, bpg.03, topg 2.00, ppg 11.7

Based on these numbers, I say JWill is underpaid and Meercat is overrated. Will Meercat come around and be ready in a week? A day? A month? Playoff time? nah... Let him heal and save the disaster for the finals where he will fail chemistry class once again. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! Hi AJ! Welcome. You will back up the champ. Don't mind the guy in the suit sitting behind you...he's there for your protection.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

Don't you guys know that there is no argument/debate with DOM? whatever he says goes. If he says that cats are falling from the sky, you **** better well believe it. If you don't, pray to god almighty that he doesn't hurl you with his nasty insults and heckling.

Well, I don't even know who you are, so I can't imagine anything I've said to you was especially nasty. And given that your second paragraph was a rewording of my basic point, I fail to see what the hell your problem is.

Or are you one of those people who feels that I should apologize for knowing more about basketball than 95% of the board, and having the capacity to keep a thought in my head for more than 10 minutes?

I was joking dumba** did you not get that?

"irony is wasted on the stupid"

As always, I am a huge Jwill fan, have followed him since highschool. If he played with the control years age that he plays with now, he would have been an allstar for a number of years. He is a very good point guard. He is old and should not be starting or playing 30+ min. He should be used as needed and maybe more at end of games. He is not prone to turnovers (especially towards end of games) and creates a great pace and flow for the other Magic players. If you every notice, Jwill passes the ball to exactly the right spot for rhythm shooters so they can shoot in rhythm and not have to adjust the ball for their shot. This is a subtle but important thing. I don't think Nelson is the long term answer at the point because (1) poor floor management (2) Height disadvantage against most other points (3) Possible long term lack of durability (4) shoot first mentality (5) poor court vision (6) poor control of pace and tempo. I do think he shoots well (sometimes) and has a nice smile. As always I could be wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

I was joking dumba** did you not get that?

"irony is wasted on the stupid"

No, I got that you were being sarcastic. I just had no idea why.

But given that you clearly missed the point of my response, I have my answer. So thank you for that.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Jameer's injury history is scary, and gets magnified further by how well the Magic play in his absence. As much as Jammer means to the current and future success of this team, it simply can't be ignored that the Magic have played at a very high level without him in two consecutive seasons, while replacing hom with two PGs on the downside of their careers.

So, even though we had a MUCH higher record WITH Jameer last season, we still played better going 27-14? Are you serious? Had Jameer stayed healthy all of last year playing the way he was I'd see us cruising to the Finals and perhaps even winning it.

In regards to last year's record without Jameer, during the regular season we were 36-11 (.765) with Jameer, then 3-3 with AJ (.500) and then 20-9 with Alston (.689) - with two of those losses coming in the last couple games when starters were sitting to rest for the playoffs, making Rafer's win percentage (.740) if that is taken into account. So which stretch of games truly indicates how important Jameer is to the success of this team? Is it the first 47 games where we were the best team in the league and obviously firing on all cylinders? Or was it the stretch of games after we acquired Alston (including our run to the Finals) where chemistry needed to be developed with a new PG orchestrating the offense, yet we were still one of the top 2-3 teams in the NBA? Further, would it be unfair to include our 1-4 record during the Finals when Jameer came back, making our record last year with Jameer 37-15 (.711)?

Fast forward to this year and history seems to be repeating itself. Creating the question once again, how important is Jameer to the success of this team?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

would it be unfair to include our 1-4 record during the Finals when Jameer came back, making our record last year with Jameer 37-15 (.711)?

Jameer didn't start any of those Finals games, so counting them for Jameer but not for Rafer would be fairly stupid.