Sign in to follow this  
richnba

question about Racism

Why is it when a black man is racist, it is funny

And yet when a white man is racist it is disgusting

It disgusts me when I listen to these black comedians, and how racist they are and yet people are cracking up.

A white guy says something racist, it is disgusting.

I am in school and I hear my afican american friends calling out the white race and it is alright, white man says something he is going to get jumped.

Is there a different standard here? Are certain people allowed to be racist?

I hate racism, and am in no way being racist, would just like to hear ur thoughts on this

Why is it when a black man is racist, it is funny

And yet when a white man is racist it is disgusting

It disgusts me when I listen to these black comedians, and how racist they are and yet people are cracking up.

A white guy says something racist, it is disgusting.

I am in school and I hear my afican american friends calling out the white race and it is alright, white man says something he is going to get jumped.

Is there a different standard here? Are certain people allowed to be racist?

I hate racism, and am in no way being racist, would just like to hear ur thoughts on this

i would say that white people lost all credibility to make a jokes about black population.

all the slavery crap and centuries of horror done by white people says it all.

even do i had nothing to do with it i feel bad about it .

racist sucks in any given color.

rich,

As someone who sees racism nearly everyday I have to say that you are right to some extent. There is a double standard to our society when it comes to racism and how far one is allowed to go when discussing another race or ethnicity. I am black and my roommate (who also posts on this board under the same handle) have discussed this thoroughly numerous times.

I think what it boils down to is what we many people theorize as White Man's Guilt. In many ways white males of European descent have been blamed by an increasingly politically correct society into believing they are the source of all suffering in the world. This guilt is what may allow the "White-bashing" we see in comedians and others to go on unchecked. Many whites still feel guilty for suffering caused by their ancestors and overcompensate by not challenging racist comments.

Is this right? No. We will never become a truly colorblind society until we crack down on all offensive behavior said by all races, or, in reverse, eliminate all taboo references. The media can effectively erase someone's career after dropping the N-bomb, yet it boosts a rapper's or a comedian's by calling white people crackers/honkies etc. Either we hold all derogatory speech to the same scrutiny, or we allow anyone to say anything.

I don't like being called a "nigga" by my friends and I let them know that. However, if I hear my white friends say "whats up nigga" to each other it doesn't offend me. It speaks to their education but I am a firm believer in the First Amendment, and if they want to say it, fine by me.

Do I personally think all white men should feel guilty? No I don't. I have worked hard to get an education and further my lot in life and have yet to come across a bigot trying to hold me back because of my skin color. I have never been a slave. No one owes me anything.

JMHO

Whoa uh.....yeah...uh........African American too but I'm really not a basher of whites.

Stereotypes is what causes the racism. I hear from my school that more racism is toward "Hatian" decendents and students saying things about "they do voodoo and all that other nonsense. Even if they do, whats so bad about that. At least they don't use it on Americans. These jokes about them come from mostly the "black" kids.

Little do they know, Hatian's are of "African" decent just as every African Americans of the United States so they are technically making themeselves look like idiots just making fun of Hatians who actually related to them from farther back.....lol.

Other Stereotypes should be checked:

1. White Men can't jump. See Pat Garrity

2. White people can't play defense. See Andrei Kirlenko.

3. Asians are smarter. See some of my asian friends

4. Bush doesn't like Black people. See American Idol in which he was part of the contribution of 50 million dollars to black kids.

5. That word that Osprey mentioned kind of makes me ashamed of my peoples. One man worked his a.s.s. off to get people to stop saying that and even PAYED THE ULTIMATE PRICE.

People can't see what they have become through ignorance and arrogance....but this is something that cannot be tamed by humans...I guess.

guys, since this is a sensitive issue, I would suggest in advance, that if any insults has happened, PM one of the mods and don't fight back. thanks ;-)

This is my point of view.

I believe in God very much, and I bleieve Racism will NEVER EVER END, and for one simple reason that their will always be evil in the world. Their are evil people in every race. Just find the good hearted people, and keep them in your life because great people are hard to find in any race. For Racism to end EVIL must be DESTROYED!!!

I agree that there are bad apples in every bunch, but I think part of the problem is that many of those blacks that you refer to as racist do not consider themselves to be. I think they see their feelings as justified because of whatever has happened to them. I am not saying it is right.

Some of the comments that come across are intentional to get a reaction too. Again, not right but it's is something that most african americans have experienced in one form or another, so it's probably the easiest thing try to draw from.

Discrimination is real, but racism to me is subtle, and not as blatant as name calling. The underhanded way that it is displayed is very frustrating, and when you add that to the feeling of powerlessness that you have about doing something about it, you get manifestations like that. It blows off steam, allows them to release a bit of the frustration in a non-confrontational way.

Because the monster of racism has changed its appearance, there should be forums to discuss it. Communication, honest and sincere communication can be powerful and provoke change. That is easier said than done on such a sensitive subject however.

quote:
1. White Men can't jump. See Pat Garrity

Not to get off topic here but that isn't a stereotype that is a fact. The average black man is WAY more athletic than the average white man. I don't claim to know why that it is but simply looking at professional sports as a whole it is blantantly obvious.