Sign in to follow this  
Courtskils

Bill Laimbeer will be a good coach for the Magic

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I think the reason why Laimbeer isn't being mentioned seriously among the coaching candidtaes is beacuse he has no men's basketball coaching experience. Think about it. There is a prevailing sense that college coaches can't succeed in the NBA. How in the world then can NBA GMs overlook collegiate coaches for NBA vacancies based on that thought and then bring in a WNBA coach? Laimbeer needs to land an NBA assistant job.

Which is why I suggest we bring Laimbeer in as an assistant coach and our big mans coach.

I think this franchise needs to make more than just an astonishing head coaching announcement. We need very motivated and experienced assistant coaches also to help us groom our prospects. Who better to work with Darko & Dwight to give them that mental & physical edge over the competition than Laimbeer?

I understand where you are coming from Smack and if Laimbeer didn't play in the NBA I might share your concerns. Since he not only played for 2 championship teams but was one of the leaders of that team I'm not even remotely worried. He clearly knows how to relate to NBA players in the locker room. I would also point out that since there hasn't been a WNBA coach (I don't think) that made the jump to the NBA there is no way to know how a coach would adjust. I would think the WNBA is more similar to the NBA than college because the WNBA relies on actual coaching while some college coaches are merely good recruiters.

quote:
My knowledge of the WNBA game isn't very extensive, can someone clue me in to what type of style Bill uses?

People actually watch the WNBA??

I would be fine with Laimbeer being named our coach. I was simply trying to explain why many fans and team executives would have a hard time accepting the announcement of Laimbeer as our coach.

I think he would be the perfect candidate.

A big mans coach and head coach all wrapped in one demanding yet likeable package.

In women's ball, you have to do a lot more floor-spacing and movement with and without the ball to get a good shot. You rarely have one player who can just jump over people to score.

When your centers are running at 6'6, you need to be a little more clever with your defense, too. I don't think Laimbeer, a former player, all star, and championship winner, would have a big problem making the leap.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

In women's ball, you have to do a lot more floor-spacing and movement with and without the ball to get a good shot. You rarely have one player who can just jump over people to score.

When your centers are running at 6'6, you need to be a little more clever with your defense, too. I don't think Laimbeer, a former player, all star, and championship winner, would have a big problem making the leap.

He is from the Chuck Daly, Joe D school of thought, with 20lbs of attitude in a 5lb bag....he is in the WNBA because of the love of the game, he will be fine and we will be the best & hardest working beast of the east punch mouth team that has ever played the game! Pitcure JJ with his attitude.......Whoaaaaaaaa!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

My knowledge of the WNBA game isn't very extensive, can someone clue me in to what type of style Bill uses?

My experience with WNBA is nonexistant. I base my desire on wanting Bill Laimbeer on observing him as a player for the pistons and how he has approached every challenge he has faced. He is a WINNER!

I did copy a part of an old article about Bill looking for immediate scoring off the bench - that makes you think about JJ and the Magic.

................................................................................................

QUOTE-

Shock head coach Bill Laimbeer made signing Johnson a top off-season priority. Though his starting backcourt was set with Katie Smith and Deanna Nolan, Laimbeer wanted to add a guard who could give both a breather. In the 10-game playoff run to the 2006 Championship, Nolan and Smith each averaged more than 35 minutes.

Great article to show that he knows how to relate to players and can deal with egos. This is the man for the job!!!

Good find Solution.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

He is from the Chuck Daly, Joe D school of thought, with 20lbs of attitude in a 5lb bag....he is in the WNBA because of the love of the game, he will be fine and we will be the best & hardest working beast of the east punch mouth team that has ever played the game! Pitcure JJ with his attitude.......Whoaaaaaaaa!!!

I would love to have Laimbeer as a coach. I think besides his incredible passion the other reason he is in the WNBA is he did not want to go the assistant route. I think he likes to be in charge and knows that he, himself can get the most out of a team. Anybody who would deny his coaching effectiveness just because he coaches in the WNBA would be extremely short-sighted whether its folks on the board or the media. Now not everyone could do it but he sure can. Also I would love JJ with attitude but more so I would like to see Darko rocking the mask.

quote:

That is an outstanding point. Alot of guys would have an ego so big they wouldn't want to coach a WNBA team. Laimbeer loves the game so much that it didn't matter to him. He went to Detroit and has succeeded in every possible way in that league. I would LOVE to have this guy coach the Magic.

quote:
Vinnie

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

I would LOVE to have this guy coach the Magic.

Vinnie

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

I would LOVE to have this guy coach the Magic.

Vinnie