Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

Does Anyone Else Get A Weird Feeling When Barnes Shoots the Ball?

I know it's early in the season,...but:

Matt Barnes has played in 14 games, averaging around 25 minutes. He is averaging 37.6% from the field and wait for it...18.2% from beyond the arc. Wow, and it's not like he avoids the three point line. He's averaging 3.1 three point attempts per game. He's taken 44 in the season...making 8.

I would rather he avoids the deep shots and focuses on slashing to the rack, where he is most effective. Which leads me to his spotty shot selection. He always seems to be taking heavily contested shots, right in the grill of defenders. The way he shoots the ball bothers me as well, but every player has their own shot so that's not as concerning.

Barnes is a very good hustle player. He crashes the boards, dives for the loose ball, and makes some great steals. He is currently tied for team leader in steals with 12. Despite his questionable shooting, Barnes still averages 7.7 points per game. In my opinion, if Barnes smartens up on the offensive end, our second unit would be a hell of a lot more effective when he is on the floor.

This isn't meant to be a negative thread at all...actually it kind of is, but it's constructive criticism of our team. Thoughts?

I know it's early in the season,...but:

Matt Barnes has played in 14 games, averaging around 25 minutes. He is averaging 37.6% from the field and wait for it...18.2% from beyond the arc. Wow, and it's not like he avoids the three point line. He's averaging 3.1 three point attempts per game. He's taken 44 in the season...making 8.

I would rather he avoids the deep shots and focuses on slashing to the rack, where he is most effective. Which leads me to his spotty shot selection. He always seems to be taking heavily contested shots, right in the grill of defenders. The way he shoots the ball bothers me as well, but every player has their own shot so that's not as concerning.

Barnes is a very good hustle player. He crashes the boards, dives for the loose ball, and makes some great steals. He is currently tied for team leader in steals with 12. Despite his questionable shooting, Barnes still averages 7.7 points per game. In my opinion, if Barnes smartens up on the offensive end, our second unit would be a hell of a lot more effective when he is on the floor.

This isn't meant to be a negative thread at all...actually it kind of is, but it's constructive criticism of our team. Thoughts?

His shot reminds me of CLee's. Its such a late release. Its ugly especially since it doesnt go in. I think it will only get better tho, Its not like hes a carrer 17% 3pt shooter

Barnes does alot of great things on the floor, but shooting has not been one of them. When he begins to leave his feet with the ball in his hands I am always yelling at the T.V. for him to pass the ball. Sadly, he often seems to ignore me.

Barnes offense stinks, but he's extremly valuable as another athletic defender on the wing.....and he's probably the best rebounder on the team other than Dwight.

players like barnes are what get you deep into the playoffs, i don't care if he never shoots the ball ever again. as long as he hustles, fills the lanes, creates turnovers and yes guard the best player on the other team effectively, and by effictively i mean don't let them nail us to the wall for 20 plus. he really needs to be playing more of a SG role and get anderson and bass on the floor at the same time... yes i said it, the best players we have should be on the floor.

he's a lanky 6'7 guy that defend the hell out of the 2 and 3 spots, and if he switched off he could effectively guard a 1 or a 4 for enough time. i wish we would have signed him to a longer contract, having him and peitrus around have really been a luxury at the swing man position that, especially playing off a scorer like vince... you know when his shots start draining.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

players like barnes are what get you deep into the playoffs, i don't care if he never shoots the ball ever again. as long as he hustles, fills the lanes, creates turnovers and yes guard the best player on the other team effectively, and by effictively i mean don't let them nail us to the wall for 20 plus.

good point. he's a great energy and hustle player. he needs to become more comfortable and aware in our offensive sets though. That way, he'll be a threat on both ends

My biggest problem with him aside from shooting too much is his passing-which kinda go hand in hand. He makes a lot of stupid passes(most on the team), he really needs to read the defenses better...and shoot less. He has shot 44 threes, which is about 40 too many. He has more to's than assists...and more to's than blocks and steals combined.