Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Contest! Predict Magic's starting line-up opening night

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

my last thoughts on barnes is this. he has been traded many times and has a low end contract, why!! he is a nice player but not one to be a mainstay on a championsahip team. is he better than bass, pietrus, anderson? i dont think so and i believe svg will not put much attention to him with the deep team that the magic have. he will play only when there is an injury, blow out, match up need, etc. i believe he will be in the same shoes as jj. if he does well early it should help his pt. jacklj

Bass and Anderson will see their time at the 4, Barnes will not see any time at the 4, so their particular skill level isn't an important comparison. Shard will see some situational time at the 3, and that will take up some of the SF minutes, but most of them will go to Pietrus and Barnes.

I think Pietrus is a better player overall, but I also think Barnes starts and Pietrus comes off the bench. Barnes has better passing skills in comparison to Pietrus and probably fits better overall with the starters, while Pietrus is a better scoring option, better defensively, and brings more energy which is exactly what this team needs coming off the bench.

It isn't always about putting your most talented players on the floor at the same time to start, it's also about how the pieces fit together and what each guy brings to the team. Echo4

A little question and answer from TQC with Stan Van Gundy...

quote:

TQC: Have you toyed with the idea of playing Ryan Anderson at the four and starting, given his skill-set?

Stan Van Gundy: Yeah, I think again, since he's come, people think he was an overlooked part of that trade and he's a guy that's, probably out of the five new guys, other than Linton [Johnson] and Morris [Almond] who we just brought in, he's a guy that's gotten the least amount of attention probably because people know the least about him and he's got a chance to play an awful lot. I think, yes, he can start those first 10 games. I think that he's a guy that can really stretch the floor out, which fits in with the way we play, he's got good instincts of moving the ball and playing the game, getting into more pick & rolls and things, he can pass the ball. Yeah, he's a good player, he's in the mix as much as any of those guys.

Had to post this little nugget since I picked him to start...

http://www.thirdquartercollapse.com/

Haven't read all of the posts...

But...don't we have a $ 100 million player in Lewis? I'm wondering if anyone has him starting over Bass or Anderson?

By any chance, is Lewis injured? If it's not the case, then...it kinda makes me wonder, wouldn't it feel like when we had another large contract in Grant Hill and having him on the sidelines? Difference is, G. Hill was injured most of the time here...

I still think Lewis should be in the starting line up somehow. Just my thoughts...

Much Love!

quote:
Originally posted by FRED:

But...don't we have a $ 100 million player in Lewis? I'm wondering if anyone has him starting over Bass or Anderson?

By any chance, is Lewis injured? If it's not the case, then...it kinda makes me wonder, wouldn't it feel like when we had another large contract in Grant Hill and having him on the sidelines? Difference is, G. Hill was injured most of the time here...

I still think Lewis should be in the starting line up somehow. Just my thoughts...

Much Love!

that would be a no as lewis is suspended for the first 10 games and its an opening night starting line up.

Opening Day Starting Lineup:

PG: Jameer Nelson

SG: Vince Carter

SF: Matt Barnes

PF: Brandon Bass

C: Dwight Howard

When Lewis Returns from suspension:

PG: Jameer Nelson

SG: Vince Carter

SF: Rashard Lewis

PF: Brandon Bass

C: Dwight Howard

Opening:

1st Unit:

Jameer

VC

Barnes

Anderson

Dwight

2nd Unit:

Williams

JJ

Pietrus

Bass

Gortat

After first 10 games:

1st Unit:

Jameer

VC

Anderson

Lewis

Dwight

2nd Unit:

Williams

Barnes

Pietrus

Bass

Gortat

quote:
Originally posted by deadman54:

quote:
Originally posted by FRED:

Much Love!

that would be a no as lewis is suspended for the first 10 games and its an opening night starting line up.

That's right...I had forgotten the whole failed test thing. Don't get the chance to go online so much these days...

In that case, I choose:

PG - Nelson

SG - Carter

SF - Barnes

PF - Bass

C - Howard

**Side note, I'd like to see Howard and Gortat playing at the same time here and there...giving Gortat Center duties, and switching Howrd over to PF. Just a thought.

Much Love!