Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

J.J. 's future? Coach Moreau says it's time for respect(pg.12)

quote:
Originally posted by Give Me Redick All Day:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by 135BPM+:

I definitely don't see JJ taking minutes from Carter and Pietrus will get his mins. if he plays like he did in the playoffs and stays healthy. Redick will be getting his if Pietrus is at the 3 and Carter needs a break at the two. Or JJ could possibly earn mins. at the 2 if Stan decides to play Carter at the 3. There is a variety of options that Stan has and Redick will defintely be in the mix. That is what this thread was surprisingly started by balljunkie for, too show that Redick could possibly be called upon to play a bigger role this season. He usually doesn't post anything positive about JJ. I guess he thought we all needed something to argue about.

GO MAGIC!!!

JJ currently sits dead last in the rotation with 11 players signed to contracts. Do you guys really believe that SVG is going to tweak his rotation, or play guys out of position just so JJ can move up in the rotation?

I don't. Doesn't make sense if your main goal is to win a championship.

This would be my ideal lineup, utilizing all our weapons, and making the best possible sense for a run at the ship:

Meer/AJ (depending on who the FA's gonna be)

Carter/Redick

Peaches/Barnes

Shard/Bass/Anderson (the odd man out till I see what he can do for us)

Dwight/Gortat

I agree with you whole-heartedly. This team lineup senerio makes the most sense at this time, which is pre-pre-season. When Bass,Barnes and Anderson arrive and Stan sees how different lineups are working in practice and how things work out in pre-season games, then we'll know what our rotations will be. But to say, well Redick sucks and we should move Rashard to small forward and pietrus should always play the 2 so we don't have to use JJ or we should never play Carter at he 3 because it will give Redick some minutes at the 2. If you notice most of the anti-JJ crowd would be willing to shift any player on the roster to any position if it meant keeping Redick from seeing the floor. Your post is showing what I feel is the best use of the weapons that we have at there respective positions. If Stan changes it, so be it. But don't change JUST to keep JJ off the floor.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I definitely don't see JJ taking minutes from Carter and Pietrus will get his mins. if he plays like he did in the playoffs and stays healthy. Redick will be getting his if Pietrus is at the 3 and Carter needs a break at the two. Or JJ could possibly earn mins. at the 2 if Stan decides to play Carter at the 3. There is a variety of options that Stan has and Redick will defintely be in the mix. That is what this thread was surprisingly started by balljunkie for, too show that Redick could possibly be called upon to play a bigger role this season. He usually doesn't post anything positive about JJ. I guess he thought we all needed something to argue about.

GO MAGIC!!!

JJ currently sits dead last in the rotation with 11 players signed to contracts. Do you guys really believe that SVG is going to tweak his rotation, or play guys out of position just so JJ can move up in the rotation?

This would be my ideal lineup, utilizing all our weapons, and making the best possible sense for a run at the ship:

Carter/Redick

Peaches/Barnes

Dwight/Gortat

I agree with you whole-heartedly. This team lineup senerio makes the most sense at this time, which is pre-pre-season. When Bass,Barnes and Anderson arrive and Stan sees how different lineups are working in practice and how things work out in pre-season games, then we'll know what our rotations will be. But to say, well Redick sucks and we should move Rashard to small forward and pietrus should always play the 2 so we don't have to use JJ or we should never play Carter at he 3 because it will give Redick some minutes at the 2. If you notice most of the anti-JJ crowd would be willing to shift any player on the roster to any position if it meant keeping Redick from seeing the floor. Your post is showing what I feel is the best use of the weapons that we have at there respective positions. If Stan changes it, so be it. But don't change JUST to keep JJ off the floor.

I agree as well. I wouldn't go that far and say that Redick sucks. He's just a 1 dimensional player. Brings offense and thats it. Why give a guy like Redick more minutes if he's 1 dimensional? Doesn't make sense and SVG is smart enough to know that. He loves the hustle players that can score, defend, rebound and all the other stuff that doesn't show up in the stats. Redick don't fit known of that. So he should be the player with the least amount of minutes played.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

GO MAGIC!!!

Carter/Redick

Peaches/Barnes

Dwight/Gortat

I agree as well. I wouldn't go that far and say that Redick sucks. He's just a 1 dimensional player. Brings offense and thats it. Why give a guy like Redick more minutes if he's 1 dimensional? Doesn't make sense and SVG is smart enough to know that. He loves the hustle players that can score, defend, rebound and all the other stuff that doesn't show up in the stats. Redick don't fit known of that. So he should be the player with the least amount of minutes played.

Maybe I'm confused, but I think you just majorly contradicted yourself, Rob. First you stated you agreed with the line-up that has Redick as the primary back-up to Carter at the 2. Then you state that you believe Redick should get the least amount of minutes played. If Redick is the 2nd string 2, I'm pretty he wouldn't be getting the least amount of minutes.

The JJ bashing is getting out of control. He is a serviceable backup SG. Thats it, he has improved his defense and has also shown that he can pass and has one of the best Basketball IQs on this team. If only he could make shots more consistently. But people who want to get rid of him it just makes no sense, he does not have a bad contract and knows the system and is a good team guy. The guy is not a starter in the NBA, not on this team or probably any other. But he is capable of playing meaningful minutes and if he can get himself right mentally and become the type of guy who does need to be in rhythm and can come in and contribute when needed he has a place on this team. People who think he is a really good player are wrong, but people who think he is below average i feel are also wrong. He is an average to slightly above average player who has worked hard and improved every year.

This is the lineup as I see it.

Jameer/FA/AJ

Carter/JJ

Pietrus/Barnes

Lewis/Bass or Anderson

Howard/Gortat

I don't see Stan changing what worked so well last year. Rashard will stay at the 4 spot and depending on matchups Bass or Anderson will get the minutes behind him. The same with Pietrus or Barnes or JJ at the 2 and 3 spots. Pietrus and Barnes will fight it out for the starting 3 spot and matchups will decide if MP, MB, or JR will get backup minutes at the 2 or 3, not saying JJ will get any at the 3, but Barnes and Pietrus will at the 2 if the matchup is right.

Sorry all you JJ bashers, but JJ is as of right now the best backup 2 that this team has.

I wont touch the redick thing, it seems just about every viewpoint has already been discussed. Pietrus and Barnes are about as similar players as you can get. I dont understand the extreme love for barnes considering that we already have pietrus...now, if we didnt have pietrus I would be excited about barnes. But, as it stands now, I feel like there is a chance that if ryan anderson proves himself worthy of pt that many will be surprised to find barnes at the end of the bench. It has nothing to do with redick, but there is no reason why barnes should be playing ahead of pietrus. And with Pietrus, VC, Shard, bass, and potentially ryno all being a better fit than barnes...I would not be surprised to see less of him on the court than some expect here.

In my opinion, the real competition for playing time on our roster will come down to ryno vs. barnes. And, I will be honest with you...one is a 6'10" pure shooter that has good post moves and can rebound while the other is an undersized journey man that doesnt fit what the team likes at the sf/pf spots. It doesnt take a genius to see that time is on one players' side and not the other. At the beginning of the season is when we will see the most of barnes barring an injury to pietrus most likely.

And one last thing that does include redick...anyone who thinks redick is a lesser shooter than barnes in ANY way is absolutely nuts.

actually, this is the last thing: I think carter is great all the way around. But there is no way that he should be playing 38mpg for us during the regular season. He should be playing as few minutes as possible as long as we are winning. We dont want to ride that horse too long, you know what I mean?

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

I wont touch the redick thing, it seems just about every viewpoint has already been discussed. Pietrus and Barnes are about as similar players as you can get. I dont understand the extreme love for barnes considering that we already have pietrus...now, if we didnt have pietrus I would be excited about barnes. But, as it stands now, I feel like there is a chance that if ryan anderson proves himself worthy of pt that many will be surprised to find barnes at the end of the bench. It has nothing to do with redick, but there is no reason why barnes should be playing ahead of pietrus. And with Pietrus, VC, Shard, bass, and potentially ryno all being a better fit than barnes...I would not be surprised to see less of him on the court than some expect here.

In my opinion, the real competition for playing time on our roster will come down to ryno vs. barnes. And, I will be honest with you...one is a 6'10" pure shooter that has good post moves and can rebound while the other is an undersized journey man that doesnt fit what the team likes at the sf/pf spots. It doesnt take a genius to see that time is on one players' side and not the other. At the beginning of the season is when we will see the most of barnes barring an injury to pietrus most likely.

And one last thing that does include redick...anyone who thinks redick is a lesser shooter than barnes in ANY way is absolutely nuts.

actually, this is the last thing: I think carter is great all the way around. But there is no way that he should be playing 38mpg for us during the regular season. He should be playing as few minutes as possible as long as we are winning. We dont want to ride that horse too long, you know what I mean?

Do you think Anderson is going to pick up playing time at the SF position? If Shard starts at PF and Bass backs him up, the real playign time up for grabs is at the SF position, and the back up SG minutes.

You sau that Barnes doesn't fit what the team likes at the SF position, but then why bring him in at all? Remember, Carter is going to take over the role that Hedo played, and transition those responsibilities to the SG position. This will require the responsibilities of last years SG role to the SF position. That main role was defense, and the ability to knock downt he open shot/slash to the rim. This is was Lee and Pietrus did at the SG position. This is what Barnes and Pietrus will do this next season at the SF position.

If Barnes gets the starting nod, Pietrus will pick up reserve minutes at the SG and SF positions. Lewis will pick up some of those minutes as well at the SF position when Bass is in at the PF.

Between Bass, Barnes, and Pietrus, one of the three will always be on the court, and be in primarily for defense, being the "best defender ont he court for Orlando not named Dwight Howard".

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Do you think Anderson is going to pick up playing time at the SF position? If Shard starts at PF and Bass backs him up, the real playign time up for grabs is at the SF position, and the back up SG minutes.

You sau that Barnes doesn't fit what the team likes at the SF position, but then why bring him in at all? Remember, Carter is going to take over the role that Hedo played, and transition those responsibilities to the SG position. This will require the responsibilities of last years SG role to the SF position. That main role was defense, and the ability to knock downt he open shot/slash to the rim. This is was Lee and Pietrus did at the SG position. This is what Barnes and Pietrus will do this next season at the SF position.

If Barnes gets the starting nod, Pietrus will pick up reserve minutes at the SG and SF positions. Lewis will pick up some of those minutes as well at the SF position when Bass is in at the PF.

Between Bass, Barnes, and Pietrus, one of the three will always be on the court, and be in primarily for defense, being the "best defender ont he court for Orlando not named Dwight Howard".

I agree.

Yeah the real competition will be for the backup SG/SF minutes. The PF position might already be set with Lewis and Bass. But maybe Anderson can pick up minutes from the SF spot. See it really doesn't matter if Anderson picks up minutes at the 3 or 4 cause in our offense we run the 4 shooters on the perimeter offense and Dwight. He can just be one of the shooters. But the question should be can Anderson guard SF of defense? Or do we let Lewis guard the SF and let Anderson guard the PF. But I'm still thinking that Barnes will make the rotation and Anderson might be the odd man out.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Carter/Redick

Peaches/Barnes

Dwight/Gortat

I don't imagine that to be unrealistic in the least. However, this particular discussion hinges on the presumption that JJ will play an increased role this year over last.

Considering first that JJ played 17.4mpg last year competing with rookie CLee for minutes while Pietrus missed half the season with injuries, and further considering that VC has averaged 38mpg during his illiustrious career. Where/How is JJ getting more than 17.4mpg with this year's team and the significantly beefed up roster (especially in the backcourt)?

If Carter plays 38mpg this year, then I honestly don't care to see Redick play since we'll have a badass on the court at all times... but given that during the regular season, I really wouldn't WANT Carter playing that much, I think Redick could squeak in there for about 10-12mpg, just to provide a blow for Carter.

And I DON'T want to see Peaches at the 2. I like him as the swing-man 3. And him and Barnes can duke it out for that spot, and split minutes evenly for all I care.

I'd always rather see peaches or Barnes @ the 2 over JJ. I want the best defender out there and you are not loosing much having them launch 3's instead of JJ either.

Barnes won't be playing the 2; he's a combo-forward.

And Peaches, while he CAN play the 2, I like him better at the 3. And him and Carter on the floor at the same time will mean we won't get abused at the SG/SF positions anymore... which hasn't been the case since... ever.

Redick can be a backup in my lineup. Period.

First off I am glad YOU don't make the line up. Period, you actually don't have to type a period here because most of us use punctuation marks, like; . , ! ?

Any ways, I'll bet you $100 before it's all over Barnes will play some @ the 2 and he will do it 100000000 times better than JJ reddick. I promise you this will happen.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Yes, I believe ryno will see some time at both forward spots down the road. However, I also believe that shard will slide down to the 3 allowing bass to play the 4 as well.

as far as your second paragraph goes, I cant answer your first question. The reason for that besides the obvious reason that I'm not the gm is that Otis/management saw great value in getting barnes for what he cost. I agree that he is most certainly worth what he is getting paid and would be a fantastic pickup if we didnt have pietrus already. Pietrus is better than barnes, and barnes has no business starting on a championship caliber team btw. So, long story short...I dont know why otis picked up barnes, but if I had to guess I would say it was a hard deal to refuse given his productivity and minimal price tag. This was compounded by the fact that we only had a certain amount of the mle left over to use and there were no serviceable pg's available at the price. Its apparent otis was going to spend it anyway so why not spend it on the best value for the dollar?...even if its not a need. No doubt, sf was/is not our biggest need before we picked up barnes. PG was and still is our biggest need.

as far as your 4th paragraph goes, barnes is not anything more than an 'average' defender at best. In fact, general consensus amongst people that have seen them play on their teams would say that he isnt that good a defender at all. Granted, with dwight behind you, average is certainly good enough most of the time...but many here have had the wool successfully pulled over their eyes in regards to his defensive abilities. Pietrus, once again, is a much superior defender to barnes. And sometimes all we could do was shake our heads at pietrus' ability to commit fouls at the wrong time. Im not saying barnes is a bad defender at all, just expect less than pietrus in every category and you have an accurate assessment of barnes. I would much rather have pietrus start at the 3 next to vc at sg and have barnes fight ryno for the backup sf minutes-which will be plenty considering pietrus' consistent foul trouble. Barnes seems at best a short term(one season)insurance policy that provides depth at a position that has been shaky health wise in the past. I feel like I keep saying negative things about barnes so I just want to say that he seems to work hard when he's on the floor. And, I always like that in a player. So, he should be enjoyable to watch as long as he doesnt start picking up ticky tack fouls like he was prone to doing in the past. Also, his D/passing/rebounding surely isnt enough to cover him if his already sub par shooting goes through a cold spell...I expect there will be a short leash on him knowing svg's style. If Pietrus isnt safe from it, neither will barnes-and honestly, he cant shoot that well, we will see.

One last thing, I dont really like pietrus at the sg spot because thats where he seems to magically pickup oodles of fouls. If the current TRUE sg's dont do their job then I dont have a problem pietrus sliding down to the 2 for stretches, but I feel like our sg's will continue to do what they are supposed to do...and you really cant ask for much more than that.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Carter/Redick

Peaches/Barnes

Dwight/Gortat

I don't imagine that to be unrealistic in the least. However, this particular discussion hinges on the presumption that JJ will play an increased role this year over last.

Considering first that JJ played 17.4mpg last year competing with rookie CLee for minutes while Pietrus missed half the season with injuries, and further considering that VC has averaged 38mpg during his illiustrious career. Where/How is JJ getting more than 17.4mpg with this year's team and the significantly beefed up roster (especially in the backcourt)?

If Carter plays 38mpg this year, then I honestly don't care to see Redick play since we'll have a badass on the court at all times... but given that during the regular season, I really wouldn't WANT Carter playing that much, I think Redick could squeak in there for about 10-12mpg, just to provide a blow for Carter.

And I DON'T want to see Peaches at the 2. I like him as the swing-man 3. And him and Barnes can duke it out for that spot, and split minutes evenly for all I care.

I'd always rather see peaches or Barnes @ the 2 over JJ. I want the best defender out there and you are not loosing much having them launch 3's instead of JJ either.

And Peaches, while he CAN play the 2, I like him better at the 3. And him and Carter on the floor at the same time will mean we won't get abused at the SG/SF positions anymore... which hasn't been the case since... ever.

First off I am glad YOU don't make the line up. Period, you actually don't have to type a period here because most of us use punctuation marks, like; . , ! ?

Any ways, I'll bet you $100 before it's all over Barnes will play some @ the 2 and he will do it 100000000 times better than JJ reddick. I promise you this will happen.

I think you provide good insight and I dont want to interject into your two's conversation too much but I just have to say one thing: no way barnes plays sg on our team, and no way he's a better shooter or distributor than redick. He might be larger than redick, therefore is able to guard more people-but he relies on hustling for much of his productivity...meaning, his skill level isnt that good. you will see. He is a very good role player, but lets not make him something he's not...a sg amongst other things including some sort of savior against all things redick. when you have a coach/management that lauds high basketball IQ and people that know how to contribute to a system without dominating the system itself, people like redick will do just fine because he fits the bill perfectly. take that to the bank.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Carter/Redick

Peaches/Barnes

Dwight/Gortat

Barnes will not play SG if we don't have injuries. He is a SF and even played PF last year for the Suns. But JJ will get the minutes behind VC or MP but Barnes is the least likely to get minutes there.