Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

J.J. 's future? Coach Moreau says it's time for respect(pg.12)

Okay, ESPN just posted a big article about free agency 2010...looking ahead.

Of course, the Magic don't figure to be players at all...not being mentioned.

Now on Mr. Redick...this from ESPN Insider...

quote:

Group II: The restricted free agents

Just one player from the first-round draft class of 2006 -- Bargnani -- has signed an extension this summer. Teams and eligible 2006 draftees have until Oct. 31 to work out extensions, so I'd expect several more to be added to this list over the course of the next few months. The remaining players who don't get extensions will be restricted free agents in the summer. As we've seen in the past few years, it's very difficult for most restricted free agents to move to a different NBA team. This past summer, not one major restricted free agent has moved to another NBA team (Charlie Villanueva became an unrestricted free agent when the Bucks decided not to retain him).

While there will be more teams with serious cap space next summer, don't expect things to change for restricted free agents.

Questons for discussion...

1.) Assuming we have until October 31 to work out an extension...I thought if we didn't he would become an "UN" restricted free agent...this article says if he doesn't get an extension he is then "RE" stricted...Is this correct?

2.) What happened to all of that talk on this board about making J.J. a qualifying offer...is this what the article is referring to???..It has to be made before October 31???

3.) What indicators contract wise will occur to help us understand whether he has a future here...or somewhere else?

I'm thinking if the team offers him an extension it means that his future is here in Orlando....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...010FreeAgents-090803

Qualifying offers are made so you can retain restricted status on your own free agents.

So under the assumption that the Magic decide not to extend JJ before the October 31st deadline, after the season they would give him the 1 year qualifying offer of say 3.8 million or whatever the number is and then they have the right to match.

If they do not want JJ at all they would just not make him a qualifying offer and then he is unrestricted.

Otis will not be extending JJ, unless it's a franchise player his past history is let players shop the FA market and determine their price.

However, to keep JJ as a restricted FA the team would have to extend a very pricy (for a 3rd string SG) qualifying offer of $3.8 million. I don't see this happening unless JJ has a career year.

My prediction is JJ is traded either for PG or before the deadline to a team interested in his expiring contract. If he is not traded, Otis will likely let him become unrestricted and let him test the market. I give less than 20% odds that JJ starts next season on this teams roster.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Otis will not be extending JJ, unless it's a franchise player his past history is let players shop the FA market and determine their price.

However, to keep JJ as a restricted FA the team would have to extend a very pricy (for a 3rd string SG) qualifying offer of $3.8 million. I don't see this happening unless JJ has a career year.

My prediction is JJ is traded either for PG or before the deadline to a team interested in his expiring contract. If he is not traded, Otis will likely let him become unrestricted and let him test the market. I give less than 20% odds that JJ starts next season on this teams roster.

Ill agree with this reasoning. I think its also a slim chance that Redick is a Magic player in 2010.

Junkie:

If Otis does not extend JJ before Oct 31, next season JJ will become an RFA. If he gets an extension, he won't be an anything; he'll be under contract with the Magic.

A qualifying offer is the offer that must be made by a team in order for a restricted free agent to remain restricted. If a team with an RFA refuses/fails to make a qualifying offer, the player becomes Unrestricted. If you recall, Darko became unrestricted after the Magic rescinded its qualifying offer. As long as the QO is made, the Magic have the right to match any offer sheet.

JJ Redick has no future on this team after this year. There is a -14% chance he gets offered a 3.8m QO by the Magic to be, at best, a 3rd string SG.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

This article says...

quote:

The remaining players who don't get extensions will be restricted free agents in the summer.

Just sayin' Draino...

They are making an assumption that each 2006 draftee is going to be given a qualifying offer.

No qualifying offer means unrestricted free agency.

It doesn't just magically happen after the season.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Junkie:

If Otis does not extend JJ before Oct 31, next season JJ will become an RFA. If he gets an extension, he won't be an anything; he'll be under contract with the Magic.

A qualifying offer is the offer that must be made by a team in order for a restricted free agent to remain restricted. If a team with an RFA refuses/fails to make a qualifying offer, the player becomes Unrestricted. If you recall, Darko became unrestricted after the Magic rescinded its qualifying offer. As long as the QO is made, the Magic have the right to match any offer sheet.

JJ Redick has no future on this team after this year. There is a -14% chance he gets offered a 3.8m QO by the Magic to be, at best, a 3rd string SG.

Okay, that explanation made it much more clear...thanks for the take...it was/is kind of confusing though, imo...

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Junkie:

Okay, that explanation made it much more clear...thanks for the take...it was/is kind of confusing though, imo...

and now that your question has been fully answered this will turn into a hate jj thread in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

One thing to remember is even if Otis does not extend a qualifying offer, the team will still have his bird rights unless they waive him altogether.

This could allow the team to offer more than the vets min. if he goes out and finds no one willing to offer part of their MLE or bi-annual exemptions. I still see him taking a deal (even a min.) somewhere with better playing time prospects though.