Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Return of PR sensation Carlos Arroyo?(link) Update bottom of pg. 5

quote:

In fact, outside of the coaching clashes of his past, Arroyo has had little negative history with SVG, and has never been a chemistry problem for teammates in the NBA. Instead, this is actually one of the best chemistry moves for the Magic, as Arroyo has spent many seasons with the Magic and there are still many teammates from that team 2 seasons ago. They are very familiar with each other and Arroyo remains good friends with some of them and other NBA players. The team bond is there already. Here's a look at Arroyo celebrating with Dwight on one of his more historic alley-oops as it was a game winning play against the Spurs. :P

Resigning Arroyo would also bring many fans, because he is a fan favorite player and because of his nationality. I don't need to tell the newly luxury tax paying franchise what that brings. Lots of tickets. Lots of merchandise. Lots of money. Magic retain the free agent rights of Carlos Arroyo. I don't know if the rights can be waived or will be dealt away in a super minor deal if its another team that grabs Arroyo, but that seems to suggest something else that could potentially help Magic resign Arroyo.

On a basketball side of things, Arroyo has alot of familiarity with the Magic system and plays. He has PG'ed the team for many seasons in the past, and it has not changed much since that 2 seasons ago. He brings a solid offensive game, that was at many times, as good and comparable a shooter and penetrator as Nelson. He is a good floor general for the offense, particularly at a backup capacity. He is still very quick and can play heavy minutes consistently, giving AJ rest if he's overplayed, which can be at times past 15 minutes or 3 straight games of heavy playing. He gives a different look than AJ at backup too. I'd imagine SVG would use whichever backup PG calls for the situation, as I think Arroyo is a much better PG than AJ for the offense. If the guards aren't too quick tho AJ is very much better than Arroyo for defense. Tho Magic have not been killed by Arroyo's defense in the past either. Just expect about the same or slightly less defense you get out of Nelson. As long as Arroyo hustles and plays 100% hard, SVG will have no problem.

I've always thought Arroyo as a nice floor general whose best aspect is shooting. He's a great shooter and that's something SVG encourages for the team's shooters. Arroyo does not change the style of play much at the PG spot between Nelson and him. One of Magic's biggest priorities right now is PG depth and having someone to relief Nelson and AJ at above a replacement level would be a big plus. If the Magic and Arroyo's camp agree to a vet minimum salary (Arroyo receiving vet min would be likely), then at that price I would be very hard pressed to find any better PG's out there for the Magic.

Count me on board...and you know what else...?

If we do get this guy...and get him cheaply like say for the vet minimum...Otis won't have to make any more trades.."cough".."cough"..J.J. Redick fans.

Click the link for the rest of the article...

http://www.thirdquartercollaps...-timing-return-of-pr

quote:

In fact, outside of the coaching clashes of his past, Arroyo has had little negative history with SVG, and has never been a chemistry problem for teammates in the NBA. Instead, this is actually one of the best chemistry moves for the Magic, as Arroyo has spent many seasons with the Magic and there are still many teammates from that team 2 seasons ago. They are very familiar with each other and Arroyo remains good friends with some of them and other NBA players. The team bond is there already. Here's a look at Arroyo celebrating with Dwight on one of his more historic alley-oops as it was a game winning play against the Spurs. :P

Resigning Arroyo would also bring many fans, because he is a fan favorite player and because of his nationality. I don't need to tell the newly luxury tax paying franchise what that brings. Lots of tickets. Lots of merchandise. Lots of money. Magic retain the free agent rights of Carlos Arroyo. I don't know if the rights can be waived or will be dealt away in a super minor deal if its another team that grabs Arroyo, but that seems to suggest something else that could potentially help Magic resign Arroyo.

On a basketball side of things, Arroyo has alot of familiarity with the Magic system and plays. He has PG'ed the team for many seasons in the past, and it has not changed much since that 2 seasons ago. He brings a solid offensive game, that was at many times, as good and comparable a shooter and penetrator as Nelson. He is a good floor general for the offense, particularly at a backup capacity. He is still very quick and can play heavy minutes consistently, giving AJ rest if he's overplayed, which can be at times past 15 minutes or 3 straight games of heavy playing. He gives a different look than AJ at backup too. I'd imagine SVG would use whichever backup PG calls for the situation, as I think Arroyo is a much better PG than AJ for the offense. If the guards aren't too quick tho AJ is very much better than Arroyo for defense. Tho Magic have not been killed by Arroyo's defense in the past either. Just expect about the same or slightly less defense you get out of Nelson. As long as Arroyo hustles and plays 100% hard, SVG will have no problem.

I've always thought Arroyo as a nice floor general whose best aspect is shooting. He's a great shooter and that's something SVG encourages for the team's shooters. Arroyo does not change the style of play much at the PG spot between Nelson and him. One of Magic's biggest priorities right now is PG depth and having someone to relief Nelson and AJ at above a replacement level would be a big plus. If the Magic and Arroyo's camp agree to a vet minimum salary (Arroyo receiving vet min would be likely), then at that price I would be very hard pressed to find any better PG's out there for the Magic.

Count me on board...and you know what else...?

If we do get this guy...and get him cheaply like say for the vet minimum...Otis won't have to make any more trades.."cough".."cough"..J.J. Redick fans.

Click the link for the rest of the article...

http://www.thirdquartercollaps...-timing-return-of-pr

I have to say I always liked the guy. I actually got caught up in the whole should we play him more then Jameer when he was with the Magic. Oh and I'm not even PR. I however was never a member of these boards then and it seems like there were a lot of people who drove everyone crazy talking about how Arroyo should start.

I say if he can accept a backup role I say go for it. Although I think we should be looking for a more defensive minded backup pg. But I can think of a lot worse options.

If Carlos is willing to sign for the minimum then I think Otis has to do it. That is assuming that this article is correct and there weren't any clashes between Carlos and Stan.

Now its time to brace for Knappy quoting 15 posts in a row and saying the exact same thing in all of them.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Now its time to brace for Knappy quoting 15 posts in a row and saying the exact same thing in all of them.

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha...

im in the minority, but i have no problem what so ever with carlos arroyo returning. ive always liked the guy a lot and as long as hes the back up and that is clear, bring him on

I'm for bringing back Arroyo, I don't know what the odds are though.

Rumor is Sixers are in the running for him, and is a likely destination.

But we still can offer him the most money.

I'm ok with bringing Arroyo back but I still think he can make more money in Israel or get more playing time on another NBA team so I feel like it's a long shot.

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

I'd rather take someone like Quinn who can shoot the ball better.

Unless Arroyo develops a 3 ball, I wouldn't prefer him. Being able to shoot the 3 is important on this team.

omg, you cant be serious.

Chris Quinn is a total scrub.