Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Let's not demonize Gortat for wanting to be somewhere else.

I decided to let this topic slide a little bit so we all could bask in the resigning of the Polish Hammer, and at the same time discuss his future in Orlando, but now I figure it's a good time to bring up a point on Gortat that I really wanted to bring up.

Every one here and in the Orlando media was demonizing Marcin when it was brought up that he was very unhappy that we matched. Now, disclaimer, yes I know that he has now said he is happy he is back. Yes I know that might have been in reference to his camp in Poland. Yes I know he has five million reasons a year to not complain about anything. Yes I know he basically gets all that coin while only workin 15 min a night and sittin on the bench for the rest. Etc... Etc... Etc...

This is to answer all those who seek to tell Marcin to shut up and be happy your here (which i personally think he is but thats a different thing).

Why shouldn't Marcin be just a little dissapointed? Listen despite what everyone here may think, a lot of these guys have a genuine love for the game and are not just in it for the money. I can't remember who said it but one person was dead on when they did, Marcin Gortat is who Darko Milicic was supposed to be. A guy who genuinely wants to play basketball, and not some tall European who was told he'd be good and make a lot of money but not put in any work.

If Gortat belives that he has a chance to be a very good player in this league (and again why shouldn't he? we wouldnt want him if he didnt), then why wouldn't he want to go play somewhere else where hes guaranteed to start and play big minutes? Why wouldn't he want to go there if the paycheck will be just as big?

And yes I know, he most likely will get traded and get his chance. But I'll tell you this right now, their is not a center in this league who wouldn't want the chance to play next to Dirk Nowitski. Especially Gortat, he can focus on defense and rebounding and with all the attention that Dirk get's on offense, Marcin would have really gotten a chance to grow offensively as a player. I did not want to see him go, but honestly as a fan of the game of basketball I really was excited to see how well Marcin would have done in Dallas.

Like it or not, (and I know some of you will hate me for saying this and the flames will come) Marcin Gortat's talents are being wasted here in Orlando. I'm not saying he is not a plus to our team because he is, and he is an enormous luxury to have coming off the bench. He lets us not worry about thing's when Dwight gets into foul trouble. But the dude has a chance to be a truly great center in this league and the fact is that just wont happen here in Orlando with Dwight around.

Oh and the pipe dream of him being our PF? Not gonna happen. True bigs like him are simply to rare in basketball these days and get snatched up fast and put right into the 5 as fast as humanly possible. Saying Marcin is gonna be a PF is like saying Dwight will be. Which yes I know that is still getting tossed around here as well.

Ok, I have now vented and feel much better. Plus class is almost over and I have to actually listen to what the Prof is saying now.

I decided to let this topic slide a little bit so we all could bask in the resigning of the Polish Hammer, and at the same time discuss his future in Orlando, but now I figure it's a good time to bring up a point on Gortat that I really wanted to bring up.

Every one here and in the Orlando media was demonizing Marcin when it was brought up that he was very unhappy that we matched. Now, disclaimer, yes I know that he has now said he is happy he is back. Yes I know that might have been in reference to his camp in Poland. Yes I know he has five million reasons a year to not complain about anything. Yes I know he basically gets all that coin while only workin 15 min a night and sittin on the bench for the rest. Etc... Etc... Etc...

This is to answer all those who seek to tell Marcin to shut up and be happy your here (which i personally think he is but thats a different thing).

Why shouldn't Marcin be just a little dissapointed? Listen despite what everyone here may think, a lot of these guys have a genuine love for the game and are not just in it for the money. I can't remember who said it but one person was dead on when they did, Marcin Gortat is who Darko Milicic was supposed to be. A guy who genuinely wants to play basketball, and not some tall European who was told he'd be good and make a lot of money but not put in any work.

If Gortat belives that he has a chance to be a very good player in this league (and again why shouldn't he? we wouldnt want him if he didnt), then why wouldn't he want to go play somewhere else where hes guaranteed to start and play big minutes? Why wouldn't he want to go there if the paycheck will be just as big?

And yes I know, he most likely will get traded and get his chance. But I'll tell you this right now, their is not a center in this league who wouldn't want the chance to play next to Dirk Nowitski. Especially Gortat, he can focus on defense and rebounding and with all the attention that Dirk get's on offense, Marcin would have really gotten a chance to grow offensively as a player. I did not want to see him go, but honestly as a fan of the game of basketball I really was excited to see how well Marcin would have done in Dallas.

Like it or not, (and I know some of you will hate me for saying this and the flames will come) Marcin Gortat's talents are being wasted here in Orlando. I'm not saying he is not a plus to our team because he is, and he is an enormous luxury to have coming off the bench. He lets us not worry about thing's when Dwight gets into foul trouble. But the dude has a chance to be a truly great center in this league and the fact is that just wont happen here in Orlando with Dwight around.

Oh and the pipe dream of him being our PF? Not gonna happen. True bigs like him are simply to rare in basketball these days and get snatched up fast and put right into the 5 as fast as humanly possible. Saying Marcin is gonna be a PF is like saying Dwight will be. Which yes I know that is still getting tossed around here as well.

Ok, I have now vented and feel much better. Plus class is almost over and I have to actually listen to what the Prof is saying now.

He's allowed to be disappointed. I don't think anybody minds that. So far, he's been really classy about staying here and continuing to be part of this team - and that's all we can ask for. He needs to display the same patience with Orlando that we had for him while he developed - and so far, so good. I think everybody has moved on from this situation.

great post!

Marcin was allways saying he needs a contract around MLE to secure his future so he could focus only on basketball. this guy really wants to play and not for money.

I still haven't seen where Gortat has shown that he is going to be some great center. I was surprised Dallas offered so much for him. I haven't been that impressed by him; not to the point where I would consider him a stud with huge upside. I don't know what people see in him that makes him so special.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

I still haven't seen where Gortat has shown that he is going to be some great center. I was surprised Dallas offered so much for him. I haven't been that impressed by him; not to the point where I would consider him a stud with huge upside. I don't know what people see in him that makes him so special.

his size, skill set, shot blocking ability and willingness to rebound all lend credit to show he is capable of being very good.

and since true center's are now so rare, a good one can be considered a great player just because they completely change the way the game is played since everyone seems to be going to a small ball style of play

Gortat is by know means at all great but he does have the ability to be. Kinda like Blake Griffin but already in the league. Yeah i just went there

quote:
Originally posted by CubanMagic89:

quote:
Originally posted by UBBALLER8:

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

glad we're keeping these topics fresh...

+1

I've noticed the same trend.

You get a point for your alertness as well.

+1

It would be great if we could somehow learn how to get Gortat and Dwight out there without jamming up the lane ala Duncan and Robinson.

One of them (or both) will have to develop a mid-range game, though. Not sure we'll see that and I'd be real surprised if Marcin's here past December.

Too bad, but if we land Bosh out of the deal? I could live with that.