Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

Hill's future with Magic sparks much speculation

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Once again BJ, no one in this thread has insulted Hill. I'm sure Solution would if you asked him nicely but still. It seems like you are trying to pick fights and then come to Hill's defense after you instigated it. I'm really not sure what your motive is.

I answered you on the Stan Van Gundy thread.

quote:

As I've said before, most of the venom towards Brian is just right here on these boards.

He might be coming back? Who knows.

BJ. Take a deep breath. Look yourself in the mirror and deal with reality. Even if BHill makes it through the summer he'd be so crippled in power he'd be fired by the all star break. So deal with it man. Your man is gone and if it were only on this board that people didn't like the job he was doing he wouldn't be on his way out. Totally destroys your point. Us poor souls don't have power to fire the coach. If we did we'd probably be still playing in the Cleveland series because Hill would have been gone months ago.

I've never understood the "only on these boards" argument. This is a perfect sampling of the Magic fan base. We have people from every walk of life that post here. The only thing I have in common with alot of people here is my love for the Magic. It really takes something big to unify this whole board. With the exception of Nbamagic47 everyone thinks Hill is a subpar coach. That is rather substantial.

Its not just this forum either. The Realgm forums are saying the exact same thing.

quote:
The eventual announcement obviously needed to be made sometime after the player interviews

The problem with this is if they announced it after the player interviews it would look like another player revolt.

MagicFanBen, what I said was:

quote:

I believe during the player interviews it became clear that the Magic would need to change their style of play with a new coach. The eventual announcement obviously needed to be made sometime - meaning long time - after the player interviews and after important meetings on the Arena issue so that the subject of Brian's dismissal has the appearance of thoughtful consideration and not of another player revolt.

Sorry for the confusion.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

I believe during the player interviews it became clear that the Magic would need to change their style of play with a new coach. The eventual announcement obviously needed to be made sometime after the player interviews and after important meetings on the Arena issue so that the subject of Brian's dismissal has the appearance of thoughtful consideration and and not of another player revolt.

Yes people may be frustrated with the delay of the forthcoming announcement but I don't believe that Bob Vander Weide or Otis Smith needed this time to make the decision.

They still made the mistake of all of a sudden being ambivalent about his return. Vander Weide started this situation with his comments last week. He could have stayed quiet and then make the announcement. If he is contacting potential coaches, it does not save face to have an "evaluation period".

My take continues to be that Brian burned bridges this season with his players and with Otis. If it came to the open during the exit interviews and Otis supported the players and Vander Weide saw the light, it doesn't matter what is being said now, Brian is gone.

Brian's personality may have got him in trouble. I don't blame him for continuing to do what he had done before. He obviously thought that his coaching style would result in wins and if he was going to go down, it would be with his coaching plan, not Otis. He's not an adaptable coach but the Magic had to have known that when they rehired him.

I don't think Brian is a good coach but Brian has to think his style works. Or else, he would not continue to do the same thing. Now the word is he is being told he needs to change his style to something he does not believe in or else.

The Magic have taken a situation that did not have be drawn out and made it worse.

I definitely think the Magic should look into signing Rick Carlisle. Sure he is not a coach that will run an uptempo style, and his offensive sets are not that great, but he is a great defensive coach, will teach good fundamentals, and is a very good motivator. His teams play with heart, and toughness and he is a very good coach for a young team to have.

I went to MC's site and someone reported that Marc Stein said that the decision on Hill will come by the end of the week. I went to the ESPN site but couln't find anything. It may be an insider article. Has anyone else see it?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Interesting points made by Steve Kerr here.

quote:

"I think a lot of people are waiting to see what happens there," said Steve Kerr, former NBA player and current national television analyst with Turner Sports. "I don't know all the dynamics, but he [Hill] still could be back. It might be a little uncomfortable, but there is some precedent."

Kerr likened the situation to what happened in Toronto last summer. The Raptors hired General Manager Bryan Colangelo, which immediately touched off speculation that he would fire Coach Sam Mitchell, who was going into the last year of his contract. A slow start didn't help, either. Mitchell, though, made some adjustments to his coaching style and the Raptors flourished.

I'm going to tell you this because I know a lot of you have respect for Tim Povtak.

I've been e-mailing with him quite frequently. I'm not going to divulge everything we spoke of but I can garantee you he is completely on the Brian Hill bandwagon and he doesn't like it one bit the way they are handling him now.

Definitely makes me feel better.

As I've said before, most of the venom towards Brian is just right here on these boards.

He might be coming back? Who knows.

That's because most of us want to see our young players developed better and aren't living 10 years in the past, he proved to be stubborn and by in large incapable of developing our younger talent.

WE are a community of many and should make our voices heard. Perhaps the best way is too start communication with the players agents via e-mail. Let the agents see how the fan base fees about BHill. The agents have the ear of Magic management. Does anyone have the e-mails of the agents that represent our players.

This from Chad Ford's chat-

LOUIS - SPARTANBURG, SC.: Do u have any news on the Magics coaching situation?

Chad Ford: From all the scuttlebutt I hear around the league ... Brian Hill is likely gone.

I totally agree with this article. This is a public relations nightmare!!

Man, if your gonna fire Brian just go ahead and do it!!!

Please tell me management is not holding onto Brian until they see if they can get a decent coach. If they can't find a decent coach then they're gonna bring the guy back?

Lord help us all!!!!!!!!

I can see the media article's in my head as we speak.