Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

VanderWeide, "we have to re-think how we use a 5"10 point guard in our system"

Here's a quote from the Florida Today and John Denton:

quote:

"I really think we have to re-think how we use a 6-foot point guard in our system," said Vander Weide, who left Orlando Thursday and returned to his home in Grand Rapids, Mich. "We're not sure what Jameer is (a starter or reserve), but we know he's good for this franchise."

See to me, this is the key. Our point guard play.

I don't care what coach you bring in here or what system, be it up-tempo or not, you still have to have a point guard to implement it.

Whatever system or coach you use the point guard still has to quarterback the team, make good decisions on the floor, get others involved in the offense, have good court vision and be able to feed the post. Did Jameer do anything this year to convince you guys he can do these things?

I don't see Jameer being able to do it. Anybody else agree or disagree? I hear you Knappy!(lol)

To me he is a shooting guard. That's why he slipped in the draft after being named the college player of the year. Other GM's saw the same thing.

To further, with an up-tempo offense like Otis is talking about wanting I could see more turnovers next year then this year. Don't forget, VanderWeide said Jameer was 6-foot but in actuality he is probably only 5'10 if that. I actually think Arroyo would function much better for our team in an up-tempo offense cause he doesn't turn the ball over as much.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...05040352/1002/SPORTS

Here's a quote from the Florida Today and John Denton:

quote:

"I really think we have to re-think how we use a 6-foot point guard in our system," said Vander Weide, who left Orlando Thursday and returned to his home in Grand Rapids, Mich. "We're not sure what Jameer is (a starter or reserve), but we know he's good for this franchise."

I don't care what coach you bring in here or what system, be it up-tempo or not, you still have to have a point guard to implement it.

Whatever system or coach you use the point guard still has to quarterback the team, make good decisions on the floor, get others involved in the offense, have good court vision and be able to feed the post. Did Jameer do anything this year to convince you guys he can do these things?

I don't see Jameer being able to do it. Anybody else agree or disagree? I hear you Knappy!(lol)

To me he is a shooting guard. That's why he slipped in the draft after being named the college player of the year. Other GM's saw the same thing.

To further, with an up-tempo offense like Otis is talking about wanting I could see more turnovers next year then this year. Don't forget, VanderWeide said Jameer was 6-foot but in actuality he is probably only 5'10 if that. I actually think Arroyo would function much better for our team in an up-tempo offense cause he doesn't turn the ball over as much.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...05040352/1002/SPORTS

I dont think so either, Junkie he may be good in small spurts, but he is exposed so much on defense, and on offense when he has a bigger guy on him he seems to fuble the ball alot and make careless mistakes.

I think that Dooling would be a good starter, still dont get why he hasnt started yet..... He plays defense......Can distribute the ball well. he may be that ideal point guard we need

This is a really hard one, Brian Hill's slow down plodding offense was the absolute worst fit for Jameer. Even Mike Bibby struggled in it, but you look at a guy like TJ Ford in Toronto. Milwaukee pretty much gave up on him and thought they had made an absolute steal getting Villanueva for him. But the Raptors plugged him into a more uptempo game that utilized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses.

This is my biggest problem with Brian, he just does not know how to change styles to better fit his players. He will hammer that round peg into square hole if it kills him. After the Magic lost Shaq he was still trying to run his inside out plodding game. Instead of going uptempo to utilize Penny and Nick in transition.

But without teams collapsing on the post like before, our offense stagnated and instead of changing. Brian only yelled at his players to play harder and questioned their heart (sound familiar). Instead of playing smarter (which was his fault) his only answer is too make people play harder.

Their is no way to hide Jameer in a half court game or Darrell Armstrong for that manner. I have doubts about Jameer as a starter as well, but I have more problems with this offensive scheme.

Give him a new coach and system and another years evaluation. We need to fix SG first, then decide next summer on PG (Jose Calderon will be FA then!).

I really think Jameer is the crux of what Brian, Otis and Vanderweide are having philosophical differences on as we speak.

Otis is saying, look Brian, you change your offense to more up-tempo and Jameer will flourish.

Brian is saying, look Otis, Jameer is not a point guard, doesn't see the floor well, doesn't get his teammates involved, can't feed the post, is basically a 5'10 shooting guard who turns the ball over a lot. We need a new point guard.

They are obviously having a hard time making a decision on it. And it is a crucial decision.

Honestly, I have to side with Brian Hill on this one for the reasons I stated in my opening post. I just don't think Jameer has the skills to implement the point guard position. I forgot to add, anyone that watched the Detroit series knows what a defensive liability he is.

Vanderweide is probably in the middle listening to Otis make his pitch and then Brian throws in his two cents. Bob is obviously gonna take his time to make a decision cause it's a big one.

Lastly, for the Redick fans, if Jameer starts next year you can count on your boy coming off the bench or less playing time again. Redick and Jameer starting together in the backcourt is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't think anyone would disagree with me on that one.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Otis is saying, look Brian, you change your offense to more up-tempo and Jameer will flourish.

Brian is saying, look Otis, Jameer is not a point guard, doesn't see the floor well, doesn't get his teammates involved, can't feed the post, is basically a 5'10 shooting guard who turns the ball over a lot. We need a new point guard.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? This is the perfect question to describe our situation. All good coaches, more than likely, change their schemes to benefit the players he has at hand. Also, we all know Jameer's shortcomings, but didn't Napolean say the same things about MIKE BIBBY and Antonio Daniels? Otis & Co., please, please, PLEASE, look at Hill's historical patterns and notice he doesn't not know how to evaluate good talent.

quote:
Lastly, for the Redick fans, if Jameer starts next year you can count on your boy coming off the bench or less playing time again. Redick and Jameer starting together in the backcourt is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't think anyone would disagree with me on that one.

C'mon Junkie, you know Redick wouldn't start ANYWAY since Vince will be here ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

What came first, the chicken or the egg? This is the perfect question to describe our situation. All good coaches, more than likely, change their schemes to benefit the players he has at hand. Also, we all know Jameer's shortcomings, but didn't Napolean say the same things about MIKE BIBBY and Antonio Daniels? Otis & Co., please, please, PLEASE, look at Hill's historical patterns and notice he doesn't not know how to evaluate good talent.

quote:

C'mon Junkie, you know Redick wouldn't start ANYWAY since Vince will be here ;-)

What I am saying Nyce and what is my opinion is that it doesn't matter what you change, your coach or your coaching style, Jameer is not a point guard!

He fell in the draft for that very reason. Why do you think Vanderweide made the comments he did? C'mon on Nyce!

Posted May 04, 2007 08:49 AM Hide Post

Redick is a heck of a better defender than Nelson or Turkoglu. They are true defensive liabilities on the court. I can't remember the last time I saw Nelson raise his hands on defense or for that matter stay in front of his opponent. The sight of Hamilton shooting over Nelson twice in the last game in the last minutes still angers me. And Hill has the gall to suggest that Redick does not play defense!

Nelson cannot play with Redick, first off Redick would never see the ball. Nelson wants all plays to go through his hands. Early in the season after a game, Nelson made a commment that he expects to shoot the ball at the end of each quarter, end of games and at critical situations. Sounds like what happended all year. Maybe Nelson is actually coaching the team. I mean everytime the bench took the lead, Nelson was reinserted and we promptly lost due to turnovers, overdribbles and bad shot selection as well as pourous defense on Nelson's part. Go back and look at some of the turnovers other players like Howard had, many wre a result of a badly timed or badly placed pass by Nelson.

We need a true scorer. But more importantly we need a true PG who understands what his job is. We can do both.

i agree jj and nelson should not start togeher but for different reasons. number one is nelson will not pass the ball to jj for some reason. number 2 its nelsons defense not jjs. i belive brian hill will be gone, nelson will go to the bench, we will not get vc, jj will have a great summer and be a major part of great year for the magic. jacklj

Look if we do bring in a scorer he's just going to clash with Jameer. Jameer has compared himself to Wade as a counterpart to Dwight. You can't have him with the ball starting every possession. It will stay in his hands enough to tick the scorer we bring in (I am not at all convinced that that will be Vince.) If he stays here he can be a back up but you can probably move him and get something decent for him in apackage with someone else. Last thing I want is for him to clog up the 2 guard position in front of Reddick. I could live with dooling starting at point.

quote:
exactly, and you know what would help? Nelson has to decide whether he'd be a scorer of the bench or a pass first point guard as a starter.