Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

D12's Game At New Heights

Watching Dwight put up 40 in a beautiful display last night really put him into a new stratosphere in the NBA. It didn't matter if he got the ball in the deep post, mid post, or even the elbow - he was driving, spinning, and using some nifty footwork to score or assist nearly every time he got the ball.

While last night was a sparkling example, he's been playing a more efficient and effective offensive game throughout the postseason. Looking deeper at this, his ability to play a growing role in our offense, while committing far fewer turnovers, is huge.

In 19 playoff games, he's averaging .4 turnovers less per game than in the regular season. Against Cleveland, he was a full .5 turnover's less per game.

That may not seem like that much, but seeing that Dwight is losing 17% fewer possessions per game against Cleveland, it puts it in a different light.

Also, looking across 19 postseason games, he's had only ONE game with 5+ turnovers, NONE of which were 6+. This compares to 17 games with 5+ turnovers in the regular season, 7 of which were 6+.

Assuming his turnover rates in the regular season, he was due to have 3.9 games of 5+ turnovers, 1.6 of which would be 6+ turnover games. That's 2.9 games of 5+ turnovers, and 1.6 more 6+ turnover games than he had.

It's not hard to imagine another loss (or two) in those numbers - especially in the pressure-packed postseason.

This is just my biggest key to Dwight's elevation - what's yours, OMMB?

Watching Dwight put up 40 in a beautiful display last night really put him into a new stratosphere in the NBA. It didn't matter if he got the ball in the deep post, mid post, or even the elbow - he was driving, spinning, and using some nifty footwork to score or assist nearly every time he got the ball.

While last night was a sparkling example, he's been playing a more efficient and effective offensive game throughout the postseason. Looking deeper at this, his ability to play a growing role in our offense, while committing far fewer turnovers, is huge.

In 19 playoff games, he's averaging .4 turnovers less per game than in the regular season. Against Cleveland, he was a full .5 turnover's less per game.

That may not seem like that much, but seeing that Dwight is losing 17% fewer possessions per game against Cleveland, it puts it in a different light.

Also, looking across 19 postseason games, he's had only ONE game with 5+ turnovers, NONE of which were 6+. This compares to 17 games with 5+ turnovers in the regular season, 7 of which were 6+.

Assuming his turnover rates in the regular season, he was due to have 3.9 games of 5+ turnovers, 1.6 of which would be 6+ turnover games. That's 2.9 games of 5+ turnovers, and 1.6 more 6+ turnover games than he had.

It's not hard to imagine another loss (or two) in those numbers - especially in the pressure-packed postseason.

This is just my biggest key to Dwight's elevation - what's yours, OMMB?

Completely agree. Dwight is doing what superstars do. Elevating his game in the postseason. I a m extremely impressed and happy he's getting his due.

Dwight has been playing tremendous ball....

Right now it may look choppy at times, Dwight has plenty of time to smooth it out....

Plain and simple, I Think as long as Dwight puts in the time to smooth it out, which he will....

He will go down as one of the best players in history, and win many championships.

Right now Dwight is still playing like a beast, his energy is good, but he is playing with heart...

Thats the thing that im taking away from this, we have a dominate big man that has alot of heart and plays with it on the court....

Thats the difference between great players and the greatest players.... they play with heart.

Dwight has done a good job of that, and he is also done a good job picking up the leadership role, with Nelson being out.

Its a great thing to actually watch Dwight grow like this, from his first spot on ESPN talking about replacing the Jerry West NBA logo with a cross....

To the number 1 pick, where everyone doubted him as the best player....

To his first rookie yr and flashes of whats to come....

To this....

Now thats "AMAZING"

I've never seen Dwight play as smooth as he did last night for a complete game. The thought of Dwight becoming the best player ever ran through my mind more than once during the game.

It's one thing to dominate as a perimeter player who shoots about 45%, makes 3's, and generally gets the ball as much as he wants.

It's another to dominate as an interior player who shoots 65%, scores everything the hard way, and gets fouled repeatedly (and Dwight shot 70% on FT's for the series!). Not only does it demoralize the opposing team in a drastic fashion, it also speaks volumes to the player himself.

The turnover thing comes big into play here too - if Dwight isn't fumbling the ball away, he's nearly a guarantee to either score, get fouled, or find an open man on the pass-out. It's a formula that can't be stopped when Dwight is clicking on all cylinders.

Banette, I think we've seen exactly what you're talking about just last night - we've seen a glimpse of what a smooth, crafty Dwight can produce - a finals berth!

limiting his TOs is important, but i look at how he reacts to the different looks teams throw at him. Last night he was in a zone. If a double team came, he knew EXACTLY where the ball has to go...he was using his instincts instead of overthinking everything. He had 4 asts, but he found open looks another 3-4 times and the shots just didn't fall. Also, for a guy that supposedly has no post moves and isn't effective unless he's dunking, he sure looked pretty friggin' good on offense last night. I think he had 5 dunks last night...so that was 1/4 of his points.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

I've never seen Dwight play as smooth as he did last night for a complete game. The thought of Dwight becoming the best player ever ran through my mind more than once during the game.

It's one thing to dominate as a perimeter player who shoots about 45%, makes 3's, and generally gets the ball as much as he wants.

It's another to dominate as an interior player who shoots 65%, scores everything the hard way, and gets fouled repeatedly (and Dwight shot 70% on FT's for the series!). Not only does it demoralize the opposing team in a drastic fashion, it also speaks volumes to the player himself.

The turnover thing comes big into play here too - if Dwight isn't fumbling the ball away, he's nearly a guarantee to either score, get fouled, or find an open man on the pass-out. It's a formula that can't be stopped when Dwight is clicking on all cylinders.

Banette, I think we've seen exactly what you're talking about just last night - we've seen a glimpse of what a smooth, crafty Dwight can produce - a finals berth!

Imagine how he's going to be after having a summer to work on ihs game finally.

Imagine how he's going to be after shooting 1000 6-12 ft. bank shots everyday for a summer.

funny, i was thinkin about this after the game yesterday. big boy grew up right before our eyes in a span of 8 games dating back to game6 of the boston series.

he's no longer just a pick setter in the 4th. svg has trusted him, not only because of his improved ft% during the series, but also his decision making- not just in recognizing double teams, when to pass, but how to attack the basket. he's no longer forcing the running hook but looking to either spin or run to the base line when the middle lane is covered.

His second half post performance was probably the most impressive and beautifal span in his entire career. Big guy picked a good time to peak this season I guess.

He did a good job of vindicating essentially everybody on this board last night. If Dwight truely thought he would get a touch every possession everybody on this board believed that he would score at a higher percentage, get the opponents into more foul trouble, open things up for teammates, not force it offensively, and turn the ball over less. It isn't a matter of BELIEVE now, it is a matter of fact. Dwight got his 52 touches and did wonderous things with them

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

He had 4 asts, but he found open looks another 3-4 times and the shots just didn't fall.

Also, many of the times he passed out of the double team, the ball continued to move to even more open players. No assists for that. It would be interesting to see how many of those passes resulted in a bucket, assist or no assist.