Sign in to follow this  
rronn394

do you know the truth about heaven and hell?

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:
Has anyone ever played that game where someone whispers something and the message gets passed down the line?

Telephone!

Ahh, that's it! I couldn't think of the name.

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

in response to the COBE mission it supports the theory that god created the universe from nothing...

"Science is often seen as attacking the God of the Bible, but in this case scientific discoveries seem to be revealing God's work. The Bible begins with the statement that God created the heavens and the earth, leaving no doubt that all we see had a beginning and had a Creator.

But by the 1700s many people accepted an earlier theory that Immanuel Kant made more popular. The theory held that the universe is an infinite expanse with no beginning and no end. This fit the philosophy of the time, as people did not want to think that they might have to face judgment by a God who had the power to both begin and end the universe.

In the roaring twenties, Edwin Hubble had begun to investigate mysterious masses of stars called nebulae. Some thought we were all part of one giant galaxy; others thought there might be a whole world of galaxies outside our own. Hubble was able to show that there are many galaxies besides our own. In 1929 he announced we were in a huge universe, so big it would take light billions of years to travel across it. Not only was it immense, but every part was moving away from every other part at incredible speeds, some receding at 100 million miles an hour!

Science, by its very nature, attempts to find the best explanation for observed phenomena. But the Big Bang has drawn an impenetrable curtain across the stage of history. For some this is a frustration: "This view of the origin of the universe is thoroughly unsatisfactory . . . . [because] the origin of the Big Bang itself is not susceptible to discussion," fumes the editor of Nature.(5) But for others, the very impossibility of going behind the creation points to God in a powerful way. "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they (all humans) are without excuse" (Rom. 1:20)."

I'm not seeing how the COBE mission supports a God, unless you're making the argument that the Big Bang theory itself supports the idea of a God.

And I don't think quoting a book of the Bible counts as saying that "Many people believe this study supports the Bible". I'm assuming that Rom 1:20 is a reference to a passage in the book of Romans. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery

And I don't think quoting a book of the Bible counts as saying that "Many people believe this study supports the Bible". I'm assuming that Rom 1:20 is a reference to a passage in the book of Romans. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I was actually quoting a verse in the bible that talks about every person has seen what god has wrought.

19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them

20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
Has anyone ever played that game where someone whispers something and the message gets passed down the line?

Telephone!

Nathan... Another interesting response! Could you post your sources for further reading? It looks like your last post was quoting this:

http://www.origins.org/articles/milne_originuniverse.html

Yeah same author but i read it under probe ministries...

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/origuniv.html

quote:

quote:

I was actually quoting a verse in the bible that talks about every person has seen what god has wrought.

19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

To add....

This thread started out as spam and has become one of the most interesting and intelligently debated threads on this forum. Crazy...

I wanted to note I totally agree with this sentiment.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

To add....

This thread started out as spam and has become one of the most interesting and intelligently debated threads on this forum. Crazy...

I wanted to note I totally agree with this sentiment.

Me three.

It would be nice if other people added their thoughts.

In my opinion, the Bible allows the interpretation of evolution as well, which is why I think it is possible to be a Christian and believe in evolution in addition.

God has no concept of time. A day to God, as mentioned in Genesis, could be a trillion years of our time.

The Bible has been interpreted in many ways, and to argue what the true literal meaning of the Bible is is impossible as we will never know the authors or be able to ask them for clarification. However, the most important verses of the Bible cannot be misinterpreted. They pass the test of time. Jesus' Parables for example all have modern day applications.

Many people seem to place to much stature in the God of the Old Testament, but Christ was sent to Earth to remove this notion of God. He still exists in the same form, but has backed away from the day-to-day because His son now acts as a voice from your heart to God's ear.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

Mormons are a little older than the last 20 years.

And I completely agree with your assessment of his religion. He basically, at least in book one, purports a belief in what is essentially, The Force. But his idea that "God" caused the Big Bang is consistent with what was being addressed.

you might have read it backwards i wrote

"I would be very careful believing anything about anyone creating a "new religion" in the last 100 years including scientology, jehovah witness & mormans.... let alone the last 20 years (neale donald).

quote:

"I would be very careful believing anything about anyone creating a "new religion" in the last 100 years including scientology, jehovah witness & mormans.... let alone the last 20 years (neale donald).

Jehovah's Witnesses have been around for much longer than most think.