Sign in to follow this  
OnlyIntelPosts

What do we do with Hedo now?

I find it fascinating that people would apparently rather judge a player based on the offensive half of 4 playoff games than the entire preceding season.

Judging a player based entirely on a few playoff games is how players like Jerome James and Daniel Gibson got paid way more than they were worth.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I find it fascinating that people would apparently rather judge a player based on the offensive half of 4 playoff games than the entire preceding season.

That is because it is hard to find any other affordable player around who can nearly perform at a level as Hedo did in these games. Besides his cost-benefit ratio and his stats were not bad at all in the preceding season either.

Trade Hedo for Troy Murphy and Magic will probably need another two seasons to reach the ECF again.

quote:

Judging a player based entirely on a few playoff games is how players like Jerome James and Daniel Gibson got paid way more than they were worth.

F***k off and admit it you b****rd. You know he is the only one that can save our asses from these series. Everybody who understands a little bit of basketball is admiring him and his versatility (watch post game conferences of Doc Rivers and Mike Brown) but some stubborn idiots like you are afraid of admitting the fact that they are wrong. You are just a loser...

This team needs Hedo and he is not going anywhere. Unless we can get somebody considerably better than him we need him. He takes pressure off of everyone on this team and is the only one who can create his own shot. Part of the reason why Jameer broke out this year is that teams gameplan for Hedo so much. When he plays well this team is at its best.

I love how people say oh well he sucks at defense blah blah. Yeah well so do a lot of good players in this league but it doesn't mean you get rid of them.We were a top 5 defensive team in the NBA. So apparently we are doing ok. Turk will shoot better next year with some of the pressure off him and with Nelson back, and he is learning how to play with being the guy other teams gameplan for.

He is a 6' 10" SF who is the second best ball handler and passer on the team. He is clutch in the 4th and is almost impossible for other temas to guard. Who else are we going to get? I love how people say he wants to much money. You know why? Because stupid Otis set the market for a SF at 18 mil a year. Are you telling me that Shard is that much better than Turk? No way, some would actually argue that Turk is more valuable to this team. He will get 7-10 mil a year and he deserves it. Battie makes 6 a year and barely even plays.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

This team needs Hedo and he is not going anywhere. Unless we can get somebody considerably better than him we need him. He takes pressure off of everyone on this team and is the only one who can create his own shot. Part of the reason why Jameer broke out this year is that teams gameplan for Hedo so much. When he plays well this team is at its best.

I love how people say oh well he sucks at defense blah blah. Yeah well so do a lot of good players in this league but it doesn't mean you get rid of them.We were a top 5 defensive team in the NBA. So apparently we are doing ok. Turk will shoot better next year with some of the pressure off him and with Nelson back, and he is learning how to play with being the guy other teams gameplan for.

He is a 6' 10" SF who is the second best ball handler and passer on the team. He is clutch in the 4th and is almost impossible for other temas to guard. Who else are we going to get? I love how people say he wants to much money. You know why? Because stupid Otis set the market for a SF at 18 mil a year. Are you telling me that Shard is that much better than Turk? No way, some would actually argue that Turk is more valuable to this team. He will get 7-10 mil a year and he deserves it. Battie makes 6 a year and barely even plays.

First off, Turk had nothing to do with Jameer. He was leading the league in unassisted made mid-range jumpers, shooting at a near record clip. His incredible shot got him to the All-Star game, not a game plan

Second, Rashard is an All-Star at two different positions, Hedo isn't at one. Rashard is a lot better than Turk

Third, if we resign Turk great and if we don't we'll be fine. He is an important part of this team but next season this offense will be fine with an uber athleletic swing with a great jumper and Jameer.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:

First off, Turk had nothing to do with Jameer. He was leading the league in unassisted made mid-range jumpers, shooting at a near record clip. His incredible shot got him to the All-Star game, not a game plan

Second, Rashard is an All-Star at two different positions, Hedo isn't at one. Rashard is a lot better than Turk

Third, if we resign Turk great and if we don't we'll be fine. He is an important part of this team but next season this offense will be fine with an uber athleletic swing with a great jumper and Jameer.

Rashard is a lot better than Turk? Turk can driblle, can shoot, can make 14 assists a night in ECF game, can make the clutch shots (actually he has more buzzer beaters than Lebron who they are trying to compare with MJ and Kobe in that category). But, whatever you say. I know that even if Hedo averages 30 points and 10 assists in these series and take us to the finals and then average 25 points and 15 assists and leads us to the championship, nonsense guys like you and Dom will not change your minds. Because, it is HATE that you have, not a matter of assessing the game or players...

quote:

quote:

Shard is not a lot better than Turk. He is better in some ways and worse in some ways. Shard is a better shooter and rebounder. Turk is a better ball handler,passer, going to the basket,clutch player. So alot better? Ummm Turk is an all-star too. Shard is just as bad defensively at the SF positon as Turk, maybe worse. Which is why this team does not want to play Shard at the 3. He is a much better post defender than as a perimeter defender.

Turk has a lot to do with Jameer's success. He gets open looks because of Dwight and Turk and also in the 4th everyone focuses on Turk so Meer has more opportunity. Meer is a great player but benefits from the players around him.

Meer also can be a scorer and not always a PG because a lot of the offense runs through Turk making the decisions. Remember Turk shot great last year from the field and Meer will most likely see a decline in his numbers. Just like Turks numbers will most likely go up.

You act like we can replace him with all these players. Who? Unless its Caron Butler or Artest I say no way.

quote:
Originally posted by jackie69:

quote:

quote:

Rashard is a lot better than Turk? Turk can driblle, can shoot, can make 14 assists a night in ECF game, can make the clutch shots (actually he has more buzzer beaters than Lebron who they are trying to compare with MJ and Kobe in that category). But, whatever you say. I know that even if Hedo averages 30 points and 10 assists in these series and take us to the finals and then average 25 points and 15 assists and leads us to the championship, nonsense guys like you and Dom will not change your minds. Because, it is HATE that you have, not a matter of assessing the game or players...

Did you watch the game? Turk didn't do anything special with those assists. We ran the 3-4 pick n pop and Rashard was hitting his jumpers. Assists can be one of the least telling stats in the league because in Turk's case game 1, it was the Cavs defense and Rashard giving him those assists and not anything but average passing

quote:

quote:

quote:

Shard is not a lot better than Turk. He is better in some ways and worse in some ways. Shard is a better shooter and rebounder. Turk is a better ball handler,passer, going to the basket,clutch player. So alot better? Ummm Turk is an all-star too. Shard is just as bad defensively at the SF positon as Turk, maybe worse. Which is why this team does not want to play Shard at the 3. He is a much better post defender than as a perimeter defender.

Turk has a lot to do with Jameer's success. He gets open looks because of Dwight and Turk and also in the 4th everyone focuses on Turk so Meer has more opportunity. Meer is a great player but benefits from the players around him.

Meer also can be a scorer and not always a PG because a lot of the offense runs through Turk making the decisions. Remember Turk shot great last year from the field and Meer will most likely see a decline in his numbers. Just like Turks numbers will most likely go up.

You act like we can replace him with all these players. Who? Unless its Caron Butler or Artest I say no way.

Shard is a lot better than Turk

I defy you to tell me how Turk's presence did anything at all to help Jameer. He, again, lead the freaking NBA in unassisted made jumpshots.

And Rashard is a better all around defender than Turk, at both the 3 and 4

And Jameer doesn't benefit from Turk; they both benefit from Rashard, you know, the best offensive player on our roster

quote:
Originally posted by jackie69:

quote:

F***k off and admit it you b****rd. You know he is the only one that can save our asses from these series. Everybody who understands a little bit of basketball is admiring him and his versatility (watch post game conferences of Doc Rivers and Mike Brown) but some stubborn idiots like you are afraid of admitting the fact that they are wrong. You are just a loser...

you dont give a 30 year old declining player $10+ million a year for 4 years. I appreciate what turk has brought to the team. I was cheering him on out loud the last few games yelling hedo time every time he makes a shot in the 4th. But you guys are too hung up on loyalty and past performances to look at our long term goals.

We don't necessarily need one player to come in and replace turk. We need to find a starting sf that can play lockdown defense, rebound, have 3pt range, and play within the offense. This player doesn't need to score 20 per. heck, turk only averaged 16.8 ppg this year.

Hedo's role in the offense as a facilitator should be taken over by the meer/skip combo. and Nelson should become the 3rd option until lee matures into that role.

If we decide to move up pietrus to starter we need to add a guy that can equal his production off the bench.

We need to get rid of battie and add someone who can play like 05-06 battie. A power forward that can shoot over 50%, hit a midrange jumper, and grab 5 or 6 rebounds while playing pretty good D.

A lineup of

Nelson/Rafer

Lee/JJ

Pietrus/Pietrus clone

Lewis/younger battie

Howard/ gortat

should be able to get us into the finals.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

Lets let the playoff play out and then talk about Hedo. I think we should keep him, but lets see what is out there for him and the off season.

I agree. I think after this playoff run, teams will probably offer some intriguing sign and trade packages for Hedo. If he leaves, that will be the route. I can't see any team with cap room this summer spending 8-10 mil a year on Hedo, when the most ridiculous free agent class hits the market after next year. Thats why I can see Otis playing hardball with Hedo, and Hedo choosing to play out the final year of his contract at 7 mill.

IMO, the only team that would have strongly considered signing Hedo outright would have been Portland, but the Darius Miles thing sriously hurt them, and they have key young guys who are finishing their rookie deals.