Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Is it time to change the "whole" backcourt? Including Rafer(Daily Dime)

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Pietrus should be told he can't shoot a 3 until he's been in the game for at least 3 minutes & made 2 another shots. Then he's not allowed to shot consecutive 3 pointers. Lee needs to be more aggressive like he was in the first series. Boston doesn't have legit shot blockers.

+ a gazillion

I told my friend something very similar last night and i thought i posted something like this a while back. Great idea. To be fair, it seems that he is trying to adjust because him attempting a 3 used to be automatic and i see him going to the basket a little more and starting to fake and pass to try and get a better shot. Alston and MP need to seriously stop it with the 3's unless it is 1 second on the clock and they have to.

quote:
Originally posted by AcuWill:

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

No.

Lol. Spoken like a true conservative. (By the classical definition, no politics intended.)

Well we are all going to disagree and discuss lineups and no one will match whoever then you say something and people want to hang you and it gets old...lol

But yeah....The lineup with JJ starting has been somewhat effective...JJ has been pretty good, but I would still switch him to the bench and let Lee start. Courtney(unless he is being kept back because of health issues although I don't think so)has been amazing in the playoffs.

and I'll take Rafer before AJ anyday of the week...

So Is it time to change the "whole" backcourt?

No.

oh and I haven't read the whole thread...but JJ's defense has been excellent in my opinion on Allen...

If only his shot kept going in, then I would say, keep JJ starting...bring Lee in for energy...

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

You take JJ out of the game last night and only give him spot minutes and the game isn't a one point game at the buzzer, Celtics still win.

JJ was our assist leader, finding guys like Dwight and Gortat for easy buckets and keeping the ball moving.

Lack of ball movement by our PG's and horrible shot selection from Hedo were our downfalls last night, why on earth would you want to make things worse by limiting the one guy that was doing the thing we need to most of to win in this series?

You give more minutes to Lee, Pietrus, and JJ by limiting the minutes of Alston, AJ, and Hedo when they are playing like they did last night.

Good post and the last paragraph about playing Lee, Pietrus, and JJ more > Alston, Aj, and Hedo is exactly what we need to do.

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

Alston.. This guy gives me stomach pain almost every time he handles the ball, and definitely when he shoots a 3 pointer. WHERE IS THE ASSIST-MAN from his first game with Magic? He dribbles, and dribbles, and wastes 10 seconds without any pass (or attempt at the basket), and then the offense has to reset from scratch with 8 seconds left on the clock. On the defensive end it is even worse. His guy is constantly open, and he misses rotations bad. AJ is not as talented, but at least he doesn't bog down the offense or defense.

JJ was off on offense, did an okay job on defense. We need him to shoot better for sure.

***? Skip guards Rondo and we double off of him. He is the one guy you want shooting jumpers

Skip unnecessarily leaves his man with a lot of room to hack on other players (usually goes for very risky-unnecessary steals), clogs the lane for no reason with Celtics players on the perimeter open, does not rotate correctly out of pick and rolls, does not box out anybody, flat out a wreck on defense. Only thing he does here and there is a couple of steals.

I watched game 2 first quarter play by play and he killed on every defensive possession, and some offensive possessions where he was handling the ball.

Believe it or not, Hedo does a better job of ball handling than Alston and AJ combined.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

Alston.. This guy gives me stomach pain almost every time he handles the ball, and definitely when he shoots a 3 pointer. WHERE IS THE ASSIST-MAN from his first game with Magic? He dribbles, and dribbles, and wastes 10 seconds without any pass (or attempt at the basket), and then the offense has to reset from scratch with 8 seconds left on the clock. On the defensive end it is even worse. His guy is constantly open, and he misses rotations bad. AJ is not as talented, but at least he doesn't bog down the offense or defense.

JJ was off on offense, did an okay job on defense. We need him to shoot better for sure.

***? Skip guards Rondo and we double off of him. He is the one guy you want shooting jumpers

I'm far, far from a JJ fanboy, but I thought he's been decent. He greatly helps the ball move around on offense, especially with as terrible as Rafer has been. He's also done a great job chasing Allen off screens. All that said, he absolutely can't shoot 1-7 and expect to get extended minutes. He's there to spread the floor and make shots. As we've seen, if he's making his shots, he's a HUGE weapon and opens things up in a way that probably nobody else on the team can. If he's not, he's just another guy.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I for one have been enormously impressed with JJ's defense (of all things) during the playoffs. He seems to be the only player out there 100% committed to shutting down every single possession. His court vision and ball movement is also off the charts.

Having said that I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if either Alston or AJ don't have it going, I would like to see a lineup on the floor consisting of either Lee or JJ at the point, with Hedo running point forward and Pietrus getting the bulk of the SG minutes.

I was surprised to see SVG go with this unit to close the game, and IMO it was our most effective 5 man unit.

I would also LOVE to see SVG yank Hedo out of the game if he continues to shoot nothing but step-back fadeaway 3ptrs in favor of a defensive unit.

Lee

Pietrus

Shard

Gortat

Dwight

My thoughts exactly - i think Lee can def be a future starting PG, and it would be risky trying to start him there in the postseason, but Pietrus and Lee is a nasty combo. Reddick is hustling and is earning his spot and should get his share of minutes. If Turk can control himself with a little help from Stan - then it's still very possible to pull out a win in Boston.

Alston and AJ have their hands full with one of the best PGs in the NBA playoffs this year. I'd like to see the Dwight Gortat combo more often also. Shard needs to keep taking advantage of the mismatch.

btw - nice sig

JJ Redick has pulled through in the playoffs. He stays with Ray Allen on every screen and I haven't seen Ray Allen open for a uncontested shot with JJ on the floor is. The downside is that his offense has been more off than on this season. This is the same offense that made him a star in college.