Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Is it time to change the "whole" backcourt? Including Rafer(Daily Dime)

quote:

Howard (23 points, 17 rebounds) and Rashard Lewis (22 points) carried the offense and the Magic bench contributed 31 points, but Orlando didn't attack the basket with the same vigor it had in Game 3 and launched 27 3-point shots, making only five. Starting guards Rafer Alston and J.J. Redick both shot 1-for-7, highlighting the vast difference in production each team is getting from its starting guards. Alston was benched for the entire fourth quarter and Redick played only 2:50, with coach Stan Van Gundy placing his trust in Hedo Turkoglu to take care of most of the ball handling and Courtney Lee to be the guard option when Orlando couldn't get the ball to its bigs in position to score.

Now, Van Gundy has to think long and hard about whether it is time to make wholesale changes to his starting backcourt, possibly moving Game 3 starter Anthony Johnson ahead of Alston at the point, and also re-inserting Lee into the same starting role he held until Howard elbowed him in the nose during Game 5 of the first round, fracturing Lee's sinus and knocking him out for three games.

I might also add, the last two games combined J.J. Redick has shot 1-12 for the field and 1-7 from 3-point land.

I'm not sure about inserting A.J. into the starting line-up although he played well on Friday.

But, giving Courtney Lee the starting nod and a heavy dose of minutes is a no-brainer to me.

Anybody care to share your thoughts? Don't worry about the Redick fanboyz ripping you...it's just a message board...who cares.

The facts need to be spoken...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

AJ was not that much better than Alston last night so I really do not see the difference there.

Now you are absolutely correct about JJ. He has done a respectable job chasing Allen around those screens and Allen has yet to go off but the one thing he is supposed to do really well which is shoot he is not.

The starting 1,2, and 3 spots last night provided 5, 2, and 11 points. That is simply unacceptable to win any kind of game.

I'd like to see our main starting line-up again, with Alston and Lee in the backcourt. I think we need another player besides Turk who can attack the rim, as well as shoot and defend. That said, Redick's court vision and defense have been more than respectable and I think he still deserves major burn. Also Turk's spaz-tic play on both ends continues to drive me nuts.

Well at least you finally admitted you were brainless. The game was lost when Van Gundy had to bring in Pietrus to guard Pierce because Turk cant even guard his own shadow. So now we are saying when they have bad shooting nights they should be benched? Lets see...hmmm. So when does the rest of the team hit the pines? Remind me again what game did Ray Allen win for the Celtics?

I agree when you have a bad shooting night and you do not contribute you need to sit. But Ball Jack who had the most assists? Who knew when his shot was falling and it was not? Who took a crazy shot at the end of the game? Was it Alston, Reddick, or was it Lee and Turk? I rest my case you kentucky biggot. No one and I mean no one zipped the passes for assists like Redick. One more thing ace, go back and look when the Celtics put on there big run. Who was just taken out of the game? Duh? You an no mam need to take a few classes in sensitivity.

Yeah, I'm all for returning to our main starting lineup. Jameer would be a huge offensive boost. Oh.

For the record, any remaining Meer haters better keep quiet for eternity now after seeing what a distributing PG does for this team. They desperately need some offensive leadership out there.

I for one have been enormously impressed with JJ's defense (of all things) during the playoffs. He seems to be the only player out there 100% committed to shutting down every single possession. His court vision and ball movement is also off the charts.

Having said that I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if either Alston or AJ don't have it going, I would like to see a lineup on the floor consisting of either Lee or JJ at the point, with Hedo running point forward and Pietrus getting the bulk of the SG minutes.

I was surprised to see SVG go with this unit to close the game, and IMO it was our most effective 5 man unit.

I would also LOVE to see SVG yank Hedo out of the game if he continues to shoot nothing but step-back fadeaway 3ptrs in favor of a defensive unit.

Lee

Pietrus

Shard

Gortat

Dwight

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Howard (23 points, 17 rebounds) and Rashard Lewis (22 points) carried the offense and the Magic bench contributed 31 points, but Orlando didn't attack the basket with the same vigor it had in Game 3 and launched 27 3-point shots, making only five. Starting guards Rafer Alston and J.J. Redick both shot 1-for-7, highlighting the vast difference in production each team is getting from its starting guards. Alston was benched for the entire fourth quarter and Redick played only 2:50, with coach Stan Van Gundy placing his trust in Hedo Turkoglu to take care of most of the ball handling and Courtney Lee to be the guard option when Orlando couldn't get the ball to its bigs in position to score.

Now, Van Gundy has to think long and hard about whether it is time to make wholesale changes to his starting backcourt, possibly moving Game 3 starter Anthony Johnson ahead of Alston at the point, and also re-inserting Lee into the same starting role he held until Howard elbowed him in the nose during Game 5 of the first round, fracturing Lee's sinus and knocking him out for three games.

I might also add, the last two games combined J.J. Redick has shot 1-12 for the field and 1-7 from 3-point land.

I'm not sure about inserting A.J. into the starting line-up although he played well on Friday.

But, giving Courtney Lee the starting nod and a heavy dose of minutes is a no-brainer to me.

Anybody care to share your thoughts? Don't worry about the Redick fanboyz ripping you...it's just a message board...who cares.

The facts need to be spoken...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

JJ is playing solid, He had some offensive problem but he doing everything else oustanding ( defense and passing ). In regard Alston, he is playing poorly, that's why , I don't care if AJ take over as long Lue doesn't play.

AJ was crap last night, he had his one good game, no way should he start, I would go back to Lee in the starting lineup, and use him as a combo guard at pg some that was effective last night. But continue to give JJ his minutes off the bench, he has been a very good defender this series.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

AJ was crap last night, he had his one good game, no way should he start, I would go back to Lee in the starting lineup, and use him as a combo guard at pg some that was effective last night. But continue to give JJ his minutes off the bench, he has been a very good defender this series.

Are you said that you want to see Lee playing the pg position instead AJ?

JJ has arrived. I think what you see now is who the NBA JJ is and will be. He won't be a nightly scorer, though he will have some great shooting games and some sub par shooting games, but he plays hard, he plays smart, and he doesn't half *** it.

He is also one of our best players at feeding the post (Lewis had some great looks to Dwight last night too).

The Magic play best when they move the ball. They move the ball best with guys like Lee and JJ in the game.

I like that line up, Smack, but I also like this one:

JJ

CLee

Pietrus

Shard

Dwight

Question: If Hedo/Lee/JJ are the ones bringing the ball up the court half the time (like last night) while AJ or Alston are in the game, what purpose are they (AJ or Alston) actually serving? At that point they seem to be more of a liability than anything, so get them out of the game.