Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

Magic Sign Jason Maxiell

My point is our roster is clearly not bad enough to get the first overall pick. I like Maxiell as a player, I like what he will help teach Vuch but I could easily see us winning 30 games next year if healthy.

So you're saying a 30 win team, which you've implied is our ceiling, has no statistical chance of earning the #1 pick?

And before you say no, just realize that's exactly what the quoted sentence says.

So you're saying a 30 win team, which you've implied is our ceiling, has no statistical chance of earning the #1 pick?

And before you say no, just realize that's exactly what the quoted sentence says.

As much as I hate to defend anything that is posted by whitemamba, there were 8 teams last year that won less than 30 games, so that is the only part of his post that might be right.

Here I was thinking about turning on my NBA 2K12 with my fantasy-drafted Magic. Featuring such lumunaries as Durant, Pau Gasol, Ray Allen and.. Jason Maxiell.

First, I go to ESPN.com and find that the Magic have signed... Jason Maxiell. Like... whoa. :shard:

I like the move, although out of all these PFs it would nice to have a real.. you know.. backup center? Inexpensive, only two years, championship experience.. I see this as Big Baby can't start the season-insurance. Plus yeah, maybe Nicholson insurance all around. I'd be a bit concerned after Summer League, too.

As far as our record next year, a lot of people are talking about how many wins we can get. But that's our ceiling, and if just about everything goes right. It's not taking into account that the Magic are probably going to tank the second half of the season.

Don't forget the Magic started about 12-13 last season. Still got the league's worst record.

This year we can't afford to wait to tank, we need to start from day 1, much tougher competition than last year, its going to be an interesting race but we likely won't be part of it we the team we have so far.

Here I was thinking about turning on my NBA 2K12 with my fantasy-drafted Magic. Featuring such lumunaries as Durant, Pau Gasol, Ray Allen and.. Jason Maxiell.

PS3 or Xbox 360?

We can play 2k12 if you have a PS3 :)

I'm a 46yr. old West Coast AAU coach and Detroit Piston fan. Just here to let you guys know how glad I am that an organization other than the Pistons, picked up Maxiell. I couldn't wait to see that guy gone. He barely shoots 60% from the charity stripe, misses a lot of dunks due to poor dexterity and swats balls like a volleyball star instead of actually grabbing for rebounds. Hopefully he'll just be a reserve for you guys and find many minutes on the bench. I'm not trying to add insult, just a word of caution. Oh, and one other thing you will notice; he is a hot-potato passer and has a tendancy to turn the ball over after a rebound.

Wish we still had Afflalo.

I honestly wish you all good luck in the upcoming season and I hope I am allowed back to talk when we play each other. Have a great rest of the offseason. Peace.

Get rid of Maxiell next year and Vooch will be a better player and we're in the same spot we were in last week, but a better player as our starting center for the next decade (I hope) :)/>

Exactly. Maxiell was a signing that betters our future, not our current season. He isn't immediately going to make an impact on our record. Thats what WhiteMamba fails to understand. We still have a lot of raw guys that need to develop and learn from their mistakes. We're in it for the long haul.

This signing is good.

I think this is a good signing - cheap insurance for Davis at the beginning of the season, another veteran to work with/teach/backup Vucevic & O'Quinn at the 5, and with Nicholson, O'Quinn, Osby (& Harris?) at the 4. I think he also helps free you up to possibly trade Davis later on in the season, should the Magic want to.

I think this is a good signing - cheap insurance for Davis at the beginning of the season, another veteran to work with/teach/backup Vucevic & O'Quinn at the 5, and with Nicholson, O'Quinn, Osby (& Harris?) at the 4. I think he also helps free you up to possibly trade Davis later on in the season, should the Magic want to.

Agreed, I think Maxiell could be a useful addition to the roster. He probably won't play many minutes, but as an experienced head he could have a role to play.

As for Davis I think he will probably end up being traded at some point, because when he is healthy he will start at PF, and if our starting line up is - Nelson, Afflalo, Harris/Harkless, Davis and - then that might make us too good next season, especially if the aim is to land a top pick. That line up could get us to the 30 win range, and while it would be nice to win more and see our players develop, I personally don't think keeping or at least starting Davis is in the game plan that Henny is currently following. Same goes for Afflalo, I wouldn't be surprised to see him head out the exit door if Oladipo is going to start at SG.

I remember a time when I would have been extremely excited about the Magic signing Maxiell....and I don't think I'm alone here. Good times.

One thing I like about this, which differs from Otis' approach to taking on vets, is that Jason was actually on a championship-winning team. I've said for a long time that we need more people who have been to the championship, and won it, in the locker room.

This is exactly right; experienced winners teach other people around them how to win. +1