Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

You're Stan: What would your playoff rotation look like?

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I know a lot of you love to hate JJ, but if we play Detroit, he actually does a better job overall of chasing RIP than the other two because of his high BB IQ and his own experience with reading screens IMO.

For record, I don't hate JJ, but at some point it's better that 2 players are getting 30+ minutes than 3 are getting 12-30.

I've said all year JJ defends off the ball better than Pietrus & Lee & has defended Rip & Allen better than Pietrus & Lee. But, he's equally ineffective offensively against these caliber teams. In the games Pietrus & Lee have played significant minutes together this year we have looked extremely good, but for some unknown reason those opportunities have been few & far between.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

C/PF - Howard, Lewis, Gortat

SF - Hedo, Pietrus, Lewis

SG - Lee, Pietrus

PG - Alston, Lee

Junkie, sound familiar??? Possibly use JJ or Battie if something is off.

I thought you said you'd sub Pietrus, Gortat and or Battie, plus A.J.???

Kitno doesn't have Battie or A.J. getting "ANY" minutes...

Ha-Ha ... tells you how tired I am. Yes, sorry, I'd still have AJ backing up Alston and would possibly give Battie minutes depending on the situation.

1st team / 2nd team / 3rd team

pg - aj / pg - alston/ lue

sg - jj / sg - c lee / richardson

sf - peaches / sf - turk / nick anderson

pf - battie / pf - lewis / ewing

c - gortat / c - foyle / d howard

If the magic wanna win a championship they need to follow this rotation!!!

Alston/AJ

Lee/JJ

Hedo/Pietrus

Lewis/Battie

Howard/Gortat

Its won us 50+ games, why play the reg season one way then completely change, come play off time.

I think all of the above have something substancial to bring, limited minutes or not. Now I agree with Battie in limited time but hey, we are limited in the big dept so he has to have a place, like him or not.

And JJ has absolutely played himself into the playoff lineup. Id venture to say that hes more valuable to us than Pietrus, though I know we need to spell Hedo at the 3.

I believe you dance with the date that brought you

i know pietrus provides athleticism and whatnot, but redick is the better player still. that being said, because pietrus isnt a sg, but a sf...he is more important to our depth than redick at this point. i just hope lee continues his stellar play.

after the starting five, i have gortat, pietrus, redick, and aj. the only reason why i have redick ahead of aj is due to redicks improved playmaking ability. it kinda makes aj superfluous.

pietrus is a better player than redick...sorry about reality.

i would go with an 8 man rotation

Dwight/Gortat

Shard/Gortat

Turk/Pietrus

Lee/Pietrus

Alston/AJ (i know, but skip can't play 48 mpg)

mpg-

Dwight- 42

Shard-40

Turk- 38

Lee- 32

Skip- 37

Gortat- 14

Pietrus-26

AJ- 11

i wish i could get gortat more minutes, but it is what it is. We need dwight out there a lot and i don't think he should play a lot of minutes at pf.

this is under ideal circumstances, obviously foul trouble or injuries would change things.

If I have to go 8 I go:

Alston/Lee/Turk/Lewis/Howard

AJ/Pietrus/Gortat off the bench.

It will be interesting to see if Stan goes Warlock or Toaster Oven Battie as the back up big.

As a side note if the Magic do not beat the Celtics I would seriously consider drastically dropping minutes for Rafer, Turk, Dwight, and Lewis moving forward.

Same as now with a couple slight alterations. Battie only gets used in foul/injury situations. Dwight plays nearly the whole game if he's not in foul trouble. Gortat gets the spare minutes, and maybe 5-8 at PF if it's a big team. PF and SF is a rotation of Shard, Hedo, and Peaches. Lee gets the majority of minutes at SG, with Peaches backing up while Shard and Hedo are in the game, and JJ picking up a few minutes when the other 2 slide down. If either Peaches or JJ are hot, they get all the minutes and the other guy has to sit. Skip plays every minute he can until he drops, then they call time out, pick him up, stick an iv in him, and send him back out there at the end of the time out. But in reality, AJ plays no more than 10 minutes a game unless he's for some reason playing out of his mind.

1st team all getting 35+ minutes with the exception of Turk who should see 25-30. Dwight, Lewis and Lee should see 40+ barring foul trouble. We need our starts to come up huge for us which shouldnt be a problem since we argueably have the best starting 5 in the league. I think we play Turk very little in the first half and step it up a bit more in the 3rd then full blast in the 4th. I think he serves us better early in the game with a lineup when Rafer is out and we can keep AJ off the court. Dwight needs to be the iron man the entire playoffs. He should avg the most minutes of any player in the playoffs and I dont think he will have a problem doing that with the kind of shape he is in. That being said I hope we can rest him a bit down the stretch of the regular season. Lewis is the biggest X factor in the starting lineup. He plays well, we win. He plays like ****, we 60/40 lose. I hope he gives it all hes got and gets his head clear as well as his body. We need him at 100% and we need it consistantly. Hopefully Lee can show the mental toughness to step it up in the playoffs. Even tho he is a rookie he did spend 4 years in college and he has seen the elevation in play that comes with a playoff type atmosphere. If Lewis is off come playoff time lets hope Lee can put up 15-20 and shoot a good percentage. I dont think Rafer will be a problem at all. As long as he plays his game he should be able to cover his role without a problem. The only ? is his stamina come playoff time, he is older and a deep push into the playoffs with heavy minutes might weigh on him.

Dwight

Lewis

Turk

Lee

Alston

2nd unit should consist of these 4 with only 3 being played per game. Gortat should see 25+ between the PF and C position with minuted depending on matchup. JJ should see the bulk of backup SG minutes with Pietrus seeing minutes based on defensive assignments. A.J. should be used very minimally. 15 minutes a game at the most. I would rather see a backcourt of Lee/JJ or Lee/Pietrus with Turk helping out either lineup with ball handling. Battie may see very slim minutes if we see foul trouble with the bigs.

Gortat

JJ

Pietrus

A.J.

I was an avid JJ hater early in the season but I think he has added to his game more then I ever thought possible and with his winning mentality and basketball IQ I think he will excel in the playoffs vs Pietrus who has a very low BB IQ and tends to make stupid mistakes and has been horrid defending the pick and roll especially against Detroit. I also think JJ brings the constant movement on both ends of the court we need to wear down the opposing SG.

We really need Gortat to come up big for us in the playoffs. I think he is the biggest X factor off the bench. If he plays with the kind of energy we see most night plus some we will be able to beat up teams on the inside. I really think he is the kind of player who has the heart to really step it up in the playoffs and play at 150% a mile a minute. Battie might come in handy against some teams and some lineups but I really dont want to see him more then 10 minutes a game unless we have no other choice.

In summary I would like to see no more then 8 guys see the court a night. The players that make up that 8 will change from series to series but I really think 8 is the "Magic" number come playoff time for us.

Edit: and Peaches will get his minutes between SG/SF but I would like to see JJ as the 1st option at the 2.

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

Same as now with a couple slight alterations. Battie only gets used in foul/injury situations. Dwight plays nearly the whole game if he's not in foul trouble. Gortat gets the spare minutes, and maybe 5-8 at PF if it's a big team. PF and SF is a rotation of Shard, Hedo, and Peaches. Lee gets the majority of minutes at SG, with Peaches backing up while Shard and Hedo are in the game, and JJ picking up a few minutes when the other 2 slide down. If either Peaches or JJ are hot, they get all the minutes and the other guy has to sit. Skip plays every minute he can until he drops, then they call time out, pick him up, stick an iv in him, and send him back out there at the end of the time out. But in reality, AJ plays no more than 10 minutes a game unless he's for some reason playing out of his mind.

Well I was going to say that everyone has it wrong regarding the SG position until I read this post.

It depends on how Lee, Pietrus and Redick play.

If Lee isn't hitting shots and Redick comes in and hits his then Redick will see significant minutes. If Redick can't hit shots then he probably will not play a lot. Defense & Match-ups will be a big part of this also.

Stan is going with who is playing the best at the SG position. Its going to be a game to game decision. Redick could play the entire 4th quarter or he could sit on the pine the entire 2nd half. Lee will start but other than that its pie in the sky.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Everybody knows it shrinks once the playoffs start...Stan won't continue to play 9 or 10 players a game...Heck, some coaches don't play more than "7"!!!

Anyhow, you're the coach of the Magic...you've seen this team play pretty much an entire season...

How would your substitution pattern(rotation) look like once the playoffs start?

Good question, it really depends on the matchups. I stay with the current starting 5, infact it's time to start reducing their minutes so they are ready for the playoffs. JJ needs to get some minutes, Pietrus can backup the 2 and 3 and one of Gortat Battie, we should play an 8/9 man rotation