Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Magic trade for Veteran PG Rafer Alston!

quote:
Originally posted by Goulet:

I dont know how to feel about this. I know this makes us a better team but it is hard for me to swallow the loss of a first round pick for a 32 year old. I know Alston will probably be better than anyone we could have taken with that pick but how many years does he have left 2-3? I would feel a lot better about this trade if he was 28 or something. How can i justify looking at mock drafts everyday if we dont have a first round pick.

Anyways hope he fits in well with the team and who knows maybe we will trade our exemption for a first round pick like some people have been saying.

We only need him for two years, minimum. 3 or 4 or beyond would be great. Because Lue expires this summer, and A.J. the summer after that. So we'll need another young PG sooner rather than later, but at least not immediately.

Great deal. As a long time fan, im glad to see this franchise be proactive instead of reactive.

Alston is a spark player, and he will love being on a good team. The SVG link will only help us.

Now Hedo and Rashard need to play like they are supposed to and we will be fine.

Thanks Otis, your really endearing yourself to the fans with your moves.

Welcome Skip!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very happy about this trade. The Magic needed something and went out and got it and got rid of Cook in the process. Yeah it cost us a future 1st round pick but we had to bite the bullet on something. I think more people would be upset if we did nothing at all. If Skip stays healthy, he'll definitely be a major piece for us. Yes he's 32, but if healthy he'll provide us with at least 3 good years. Imagine all of the alley-oops to Dwight and Lee.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

I dont know how to feel about this. I know this makes us a better team but it is hard for me to swallow the loss of a first round pick for a 32 year old. I know Alston will probably be better than anyone we could have taken with that pick but how many years does he have left 2-3? I would feel a lot better about this trade if he was 28 or something. How can i justify looking at mock drafts everyday if we dont have a first round pick.

Anyways hope he fits in well with the team and who knows maybe we will trade our exemption for a first round pick like some people have been saying.

1. It was a future pick, not our current one.

2. PG's play at a relatively high level well into their late 30s. He'll be fine.

Thanks I didnt know it was a future pick, do we know what year? I do not however see Alston playing effectively into his late 30's I would agree with you when it comes to Nash, Kidd, Stockton type PG's who rely on vision and distribution, but I do not see many guys like alston that rely on quickness and penetration that play effectively into their late 30's.

No matter how long he plays all I know is that he is 10 years older(give or take) than whoever we could have drafted so you are losing 10 years of playing time and thats why it is hard for me to swallow. However i'm still excited and know that Alston has many good games left in him and I'm glad that we took action instead of standing pat.

There's always a team in the late 20's who wants to move back into the second round to avoid paying a first rounder. I'm sure we can make it happen if we're interested.

Rafer might have about 2 more good years in him. And that's how long we have him for. Finish this season - and as an expiring trade chip next. Or, if we're playing well, a hell of a backup for Jameer.

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

There's always a team in the late 20's who wants to move back into the second round to avoid paying a first rounder. I'm sure we can make it happen if we're interested.

Rafer might have about 2 more good years in him. And that's how long we have him for. Finish this season - and as an expiring trade chip next. Or, if we're playing well, a hell of a backup for Jameer.

Late firsts are generally easy to get if you want them. Your second pick and an expiering of cash considerations or just our trade excemption could lasnd a first.,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

1. It was a future pick, not our current one.

2. PG's play at a relatively high level well into their late 30s. He'll be fine.

Thanks I didnt know it was a future pick, do we know what year? I do not however see Alston playing effectively into his late 30's I would agree with you when it comes to Nash, Kidd, Stockton type PG's who rely on vision and distribution, but I do not see many guys like alston that rely on quickness and penetration that play effectively into their late 30's.

No matter how long he plays all I know is that he is 10 years older(give or take) than whoever we could have drafted so you are losing 10 years of playing time and thats why it is hard for me to swallow. However i'm still excited and know that Alston has many good games left in him and I'm glad that we took action instead of standing pat.

Alston's vision is very underrated. He's a middle of the pack starting PG inthis league, not towards the bottom. Honestly his vision's probably more valuable than his speed.

My feeling is whether this is a 2009 or 2010 draft pick doesn't matter because they'll both be between 25 and 30, unless we lose the next 20 games in a row. If you look at our draft picks since the team was formed, other than Courtney Lee (great job Otis) at #22, nobody drafted above 15th turned into an NBA player. Call it a gut feeling, but I think Alston is going to appreciate the Magic, and they're gonna have fun playing together.

So even if we resign Hedo...we have our backup PG spot secured for next season.

Jameer/Alston/AJ or Lue

Lee/Redick

Hedo/Pietrus

Lewis/2nd round pick or 1st acquired via TPE?/or MLE?

Dwight/Gortat if resigned/Vets min player

Not bad. Otis did what he said he wanted to do. Effectively took care of our current situation, and our future. Nice.