Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Grant blames Piston organization for his ankle disaster

quote:
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Some of the nostalgic feelings Grant Hill might have encountered this week from being back in Detroit have been tempered by him still blaming the Pistons for improperly diagnosing the ankle injury that wiped out six prime years of his career.

Hill spent the first six years of his career in Detroit, and the trouble in his left ankle first surfaced late in the 1999-2000 season with the Pistons. Hill said Pistons doctors never X-rayed his ankle late in the season even though he had constant pain in the joint, instead instructing him to rest for the final four games of the regular season.

Those same doctors then convinced Hill that he could do no further damage to his ankle, and he limped through two playoff games and 55 minutes. The result, determined later when Hill had X-rays and ultimately surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, was a fractured bone on the inside of the ankle.

"I didn't know what was wrong with my ankle and clearly they didn't either," Hill remembered. "So when I got back from Cleveland, that's when they were like, 'Oh, OK we believe you now (about the pain in his ankle).' Before that, there never were any X-rays, but since then I've had enough to last a lifetime."

"I've learned that you can't trust some of these people and you have to take ownership of your own health," Hill said. "If something isn't right, there's a reason that it's not right. Through all my experiences in Detroit and Orlando, I've learned you have to trust your gut. Sometimes your gut is telling you something, but you put your trust elsewhere. It took me three or four times to figure that out."

I was just talking this week with 3 or 4 people about Grant's situation since Darko's ankle problem arose.

Man, that is unbelievable that no x-rays were taken when he initially hurt his ankle and was complaining to Piston team trainers about the pain in his foot.

Smack and I had a conversation the other day about this. I'm amazed there were never any lawsuits! Seems like this circumstance could have easily earned Grant millions more.

This is even more reason for the Magic and Grant to reap revenge and beat these guys tonight!

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04230332/1002/SPORTS

quote:
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Some of the nostalgic feelings Grant Hill might have encountered this week from being back in Detroit have been tempered by him still blaming the Pistons for improperly diagnosing the ankle injury that wiped out six prime years of his career.

Hill spent the first six years of his career in Detroit, and the trouble in his left ankle first surfaced late in the 1999-2000 season with the Pistons. Hill said Pistons doctors never X-rayed his ankle late in the season even though he had constant pain in the joint, instead instructing him to rest for the final four games of the regular season.

Those same doctors then convinced Hill that he could do no further damage to his ankle, and he limped through two playoff games and 55 minutes. The result, determined later when Hill had X-rays and ultimately surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, was a fractured bone on the inside of the ankle.

"I didn't know what was wrong with my ankle and clearly they didn't either," Hill remembered. "So when I got back from Cleveland, that's when they were like, 'Oh, OK we believe you now (about the pain in his ankle).' Before that, there never were any X-rays, but since then I've had enough to last a lifetime."

"I've learned that you can't trust some of these people and you have to take ownership of your own health," Hill said. "If something isn't right, there's a reason that it's not right. Through all my experiences in Detroit and Orlando, I've learned you have to trust your gut. Sometimes your gut is telling you something, but you put your trust elsewhere. It took me three or four times to figure that out."

I was just talking this week with 3 or 4 people about Grant's situation since Darko's ankle problem arose.

Man, that is unbelievable that no x-rays were taken when he initially hurt his ankle and was complaining to Piston team trainers about the pain in his foot.

Smack and I had a conversation the other day about this. I'm amazed there were never any lawsuits! Seems like this circumstance could have easily earned Grant millions more.

This is even more reason for the Magic and Grant to reap revenge and beat these guys tonight!

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04230332/1002/SPORTS

****it he's too nice lol

Same reason I love the guy but sometimes I just want him to be mean, you know?

Can't hold back everything inside man.

Although it is nice to see him playing the game he loves again.

lol. I'm not sure, but I believe it was also their team doctor made a wrong surgical procedure which made matters worse. man, I'd love to get my hands on those **** doctors. They robbed Grant's hall of fame career.

That just blows me away that they never X-rayed it. That is standard procedure after any bad spain.

What could have been a a bright and successful career for Grant Hill was obstructed by doctors from Detroit saying that Hill was completely fine and Hill wasn't injured.

But Hill must use this as momentum to get the trophy! (if Hill gets help from his teammates)

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

lol. I'm not sure, but I believe it was also their team doctor made a wrong surgical procedure which made matters worse. man, I'd love to get my hands on those **** doctors. They robbed Grant's hall of fame career.

Well, Bill Walton was talking the other day about how their trainer uses un-orthodoxed methods of helping the atheletes, such as using some sort of pepper concoction. If this guy is some sort of witch-doctor or homeopathic medicene guru then I would guess that he probably didn't catch what was going on with Grant since he was spending more time making his ankle savory and delicious.

quote:
Well, Bill Walton was talking the other day about how their trainer uses un-orthodoxed methods of helping the atheletes, such as using some sort of pepper concoction.

hah, even chinese herbal medicines can't treat a broken ankle. the doctor should be stripped of his license.

The power of the internet strikes again. From a chat about 2 or 3 years ago with the Pistons trainer.

Rob (Novi): Is Grant Hill's injury the worst you've seen in your years as the Pistons trainer?

Mike Abdenour: It was one of the more severe injuries that we've seen; but the timing of Isiah Thomas' injury during the 1988 Finals, that was probably the worst timing injury I've seen. As far as playing Game Seven in the NBA Finals and your star player can't play, that was tough.

My question is if it was one of the most severe injuries anyone has ever seen why was an XRAY not taken at the very beginning. That is so standard common medical practice it is unreal that it did not happen. Sure Grant Hill made some money but that does not drive every athlete. He had a chance to be a true all-time great and its kind of a shame that this may have led to his downward injury spiral.

Grant has had alot of bad doctors over the last six years, from what I have read about the situation.

The trainers here are some of the best in the NBA by all accounts. But the Medical staff/ team doctors may not be.

Grant had some botched surgeries too. He just had bad luck with doctors all around.

It is one of the most disappointing things I have seen in sports in my life.

He was a ALL-TIME GREAT before the injury. And it's a real shame that he never fully recovered from one injury, and it put a huge whole in his career. He would have been a Hall of Famer without question.

The worse was the staff infection he got after one of the surgeries that nearly killed him. When it comes to medicine, Grant has horrible luck.

As for Detroit screwing him, I'm not sure. They knew he was a FA, but did they know for sure that he was going to leave? I have heard that when talking to the Magic about Grant, Detroit wasn't completely honest about his medical condition. I have never, until today, heard anything about Detroit actually playing a role in the injury itself.

I guess we will never know...