Sign in to follow this  
Mr Charisma

Magic and Howard Frustration (Schmitz blog)

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

The thing is, when Dwight is in the game, usually with starters, who on the floor can protect him? I would argue that Hedo and Shard are too important to the team to risk an ejection as well. Do we bring someone in immediately off the bench to throw down after the next stoppage?

Well right now I would say it is bogan's job to get in anyone's face that even looks at Dwight wrong, It's SVG's job to Scream, and holler and draw all attention to these dangerous type plays, and wouldn't be a bad idea to sub in Gortat as a goone once in a while. Even if it results in a double ejection, the rest of the game would be called so light that Dwight would not have to worry.

I have been saying this for two years, but not against Dwight, it is our team mentality. We don't use our fouls. The teams that wind up beating us are usually good at that, actually that is really the only kind of team game plan that has beat us consistently.

this problem should have been addressed by the NBA back when Shaq was with us. A intentional foul should be an automatic 2 free throws and the ball! Then it would force teams to actually try to defend. Its just plain awful that even tonight, dwight was wrapped up from behind right beneath the basket but wasn't given a shooting foul with free throws, what else was dwight gonna do with the ball there?

that was a cheap foul and the leauge should of done somthing and when the nba is built up as a world league full of excitement and superstars you cant have those players taken out like that.

in australia we play international rules and have unsportsmanlike fouls which is 2 and possession two of those in a game and your gone

nba should get rid of flagrant foul and change it to unsportsman like

it would make it a lot easyer on offiacls to clean up the game and take out those cheap shots

IMO if Howard gets hit hard and the refs just call a foul, Howard needs to chill out, shot his free throws and whenever he has an opportunity commit the same kinda foul at the same player that hit him.

I am a soccer player and that is what I used to do. If the other player did not get a flagrant foul why would I? It was the same foul just at the other end of the floor.

I like the intentional foul idea. how about this:

Regular foul - continue as it is

Intentional foul - Treat like a combination of a technical foul (one shot) plus a regular foul

Flagrant - continue as it is

Here's an idea for a rule adjustment, and I am not exactally sure what the current rule is, but make so defenders have to make an effort for the ball, any grabbing of the body, and banging in to the body, or undercutting without a visible effort to stop the ball is punishable by 2 shots and the ball, and a possible ejection of said player. Also they could do like football, where you could apply this rule to a said number of flags thrown on the court, and maybe you have to spend a time out aswell, also let the officials review the play to assess whether the player attempted for the ball.

IMO there is never an excuse for a player to not go for the ball, you can still foul hard, but go for the ball. Even that grab on the hips just as he catches the ball IMO should be a flagrant 2 and the ball foul.

This IMO would not only make the league safer for players, and keep them off the DL, but also make games run smoother, and be more exciting. Unless you enjoy watching wresteling, I personally don't mind, except when I pay to see basketball, I don't want wresteling there.

Denton just put up a blog on the same subject. It's an excellent read...

quote:

MAGIC'S HOWARD IRKED BY HARD HITS FROM FOES

posted at 1/3/2009 3:19 PM EST

By John Denton

FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO -- Before he could elevate for what assuredly would been a thunderous dunk, Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard was tackled with arms fully wrapped around his shoulders by Miami