Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Magic not playoff worthy?

"Let's call a fade a fade.

The Magic have been playing largely like a lottery team since a 13-4 start and don't deserve to be in the playoff field.

GM Otis Smith predicts the Magic will make the postseason, but adds, "That's not what I'm worried about."

Hmmmm.

I'm not sure whether Smith is overly optimistic or clairvoyant, considering the Magic have fallen out of the playoff race and need to do something they haven't done in months: Put together a run.

Smith is a big-picture guy. He's looking more how his team is playing, if they are jelling, whether his young core --- Dwight Howard, Darko Milicic, Trevor Ariza and Jameer Nelson --- are developing or regressing.

Smith doesn't think fighting for playoff crumbs as a first-round participant is a big deal when stacked up against getting to where he wants to go: The Finals.

OK.

But for Magic fans who have been starving for a playoff berth since 1903 -- oops, I mean 2003; it just seems longer --- they'd be satisfied with just an APPEARANCE.

Even if it is against the Detroit Pistons.

And even if the Pistons would knock them out in, oh, five games.

But the way the Magic are playing, they don't look like a playoff team by any stretch of the imagination.

Playoff teams don't make countless turnovers, have frequent offensive brown-outs and miss free throws by the bundle.

The Magic still need some reconstructive surgery this offseason.

Maybe Smith knows, in his heart of hearts, that the Magic aren't a playoff team either. No wonder reaching the postseason isn't exactly a be-all, end-all."

I know this is an article but it needed its own topic, he says it all here, Otis is not looking at the playoffs for this year, an that is pissing me off, because what that says is that if we dont make the playoffs, Brian Hill will be here next year because Otis isnt thinking about this year, he wrote this year off last year after he traded Francis......

Do we really trust in Otis, the Future is not Otis, start thinking like a winner....... We are tired of looking into the future, an u constantly telling us that the future will be good is just pissing me off.......

Why not today......Who cares if we are eliminated in the playoffs, lets just get there......

"Let's call a fade a fade.

The Magic have been playing largely like a lottery team since a 13-4 start and don't deserve to be in the playoff field.

GM Otis Smith predicts the Magic will make the postseason, but adds, "That's not what I'm worried about."

Hmmmm.

I'm not sure whether Smith is overly optimistic or clairvoyant, considering the Magic have fallen out of the playoff race and need to do something they haven't done in months: Put together a run.

Smith is a big-picture guy. He's looking more how his team is playing, if they are jelling, whether his young core --- Dwight Howard, Darko Milicic, Trevor Ariza and Jameer Nelson --- are developing or regressing.

Smith doesn't think fighting for playoff crumbs as a first-round participant is a big deal when stacked up against getting to where he wants to go: The Finals.

OK.

But for Magic fans who have been starving for a playoff berth since 1903 -- oops, I mean 2003; it just seems longer --- they'd be satisfied with just an APPEARANCE.

Even if it is against the Detroit Pistons.

And even if the Pistons would knock them out in, oh, five games.

But the way the Magic are playing, they don't look like a playoff team by any stretch of the imagination.

Playoff teams don't make countless turnovers, have frequent offensive brown-outs and miss free throws by the bundle.

The Magic still need some reconstructive surgery this offseason.

Maybe Smith knows, in his heart of hearts, that the Magic aren't a playoff team either. No wonder reaching the postseason isn't exactly a be-all, end-all."

I know this is an article but it needed its own topic, he says it all here, Otis is not looking at the playoffs for this year, an that is pissing me off, because what that says is that if we dont make the playoffs, Brian Hill will be here next year because Otis isnt thinking about this year, he wrote this year off last year after he traded Francis......

Do we really trust in Otis, the Future is not Otis, start thinking like a winner....... We are tired of looking into the future, an u constantly telling us that the future will be good is just pissing me off.......

Why not today......Who cares if we are eliminated in the playoffs, lets just get there......

This team is a playoff team, and they can be one of the top teams. It isn't their fault that their being coached the wrong way which is leading them to not know their roles. They have one of the most dominant big mans and another rising star in darko. I've never been more excited then to watch a guy like Trevor and i'm so happy to have him on this team because i know he is going to be an allstar one day. We have a soon to be deadly shooter in JJ and when he gets more playing time we will notice the difference, remember that 7 game stretch? He was averaging like 12 ppg. I know Jameer and Carlos are doing bad right now but remember early in the season and last season when everbody was fighting over who would start? Well when they get that back we have one of the deadliest 1-2 point gaurds in the league. I haven't lost faith in this team and if they make the playoffs i'm sure they will do just fine. I forget who it was but a guy from the other team once said "They are clearly better then their record" and that couldn't be more true for another team. The magic are way better then how they are playing. One more win and i believe we will spark a run. I know its a stretch but if we can beat the mavs which won't happen i predict the magic go on a late season run finishing with only 1 loss. If we lose then idk what will happen but i predict going to the playoffs still. Some nights the magic look like they can't be stopped and others which is most of the nights they look like the worst team in the league. We are trying to get the consistency to play good everynight and when we do that the magic will be a deadly team. And if the magic go on a run at the end of the season and make the playoffs at the 8 seed, i wouldn't want to be the pistons.

quote:
Do we really trust in Otis, the Future is not Otis, start thinking like a winner....... We are tired of looking into the future, an u consta

quote:
, Brian Hill will be here next year because Otis isnt thinking about th

The only mistake otis has ever made is keeping brian hill. Don't take away what he did for this team. He has made some of the biggest and best moves for this team. Yeah he took a risk in giving away 1st round pick but who cares? Everybody was so happy last season when the magic went on the 16-6 run and everybody was giving otis credit. Just because the magic are slumping don't take away credit from what this man did. Unbelievable how people turn their backs when the team is doing bad. Otis knows what he is doing, his only problem is he lets the coach run the team. Yes i do still trust him. And yes this team is good and yes they will become a dynasty.

And if you can't wait another year to make the playoffs then thats your problem don't try and change the team cause you are impatient. I know everybody wants to make the playoffs and it would be nice but patience is a virtue. They will do great things as time moves on.

Ummmmm..........Okay............... I didnt say change the team, I am saying that Otis doesnt give a **** if we make the playoffs this year, and that annoys me........

I am tired of them talking about the future, because we have been talking about the future for about 6 years now, when is this future suppose to happen?

Now coach wont be fired because of Otis is writing this season off.........

The talks of the future also annoy me. Season after season, it's always about the future. I know that you must always look to the future and reach for goals, but there must be a plan or else there is no future, there is only waiting to see what happens. The way B Hill plays his team, it looks like he is going after the playoffs. Why else would he over play vets or injury prone players. If the master plan was about the future then why not play the "future" of the team, instead of the guys that are rumored to be traded and might not be here in the "future".

Remember "Why not us? Why not now?"

I miss those days. I miss the inner confidence. I don't miss Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway.. I miss Nick Anderson, Darrell Armstrong, and Scott Skiles.

I miss gutsy winners who weren't necessarily the most talented players but they fought to the final horn. I'm so sick and tired of the body language of guys like Darko and Hedo. I'm tired of the laughing and joking of Jameer Nelson when you're down 20 points in the 3rd quarter.

Other than Howard, Redick, or Ariza, I don't see constant "heart and hustle" in anyone else on this team and that's the 2nd biggest problem on this team.

The first, of course, is Brian Hill's pig-headedness but we hear that enough on this forum.

quote:
I am tired of them talking about the future, because we have been talking about the future for about 6 years now, when is this future suppose to happen?

We haven't been talking about the future for 6 years. This is an entirely different team that has only been together since last season. We made the playoffs with T-mac, and everyone ran him out of town. Hence, a re-building process has been in place for about 2-3 seasons now. Really, that's not long to wait for a solid playof run. Ask the Warriors or the Trailblazers about the playoffs and when their run is coming. Magic fans have consistently been impatient and Magic owners have been consistently cheap, that's why we have never won a title.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

quote:

We haven't been talking about the future for 6 years. This is an entirely different team that has only been together since last season. We made the playoffs with T-mac, and everyone ran him out of town. Hence, a re-building process has been in place for about 2-3 seasons now. Really, that's not long to wait for a solid playof run. Ask the Warriors or the Trailblazers about the playoffs and when their run is coming. Magic fans have consistently been impatient and Magic owners have been consistently cheap, that's why we have never won a title.

As far as the fans... They have the right ...

As far as the Magic being cheap ...We're in the 10 in salaries...

Over the cap.