Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

Where would Trevor Play If he was still here?

I thought since so many wish the trade for Cook would have never happened, just where would Trevor play in the rotation now?

He would be a perfect replacement for Pietrus had we not signed him, but we would have signed him because Trevor did not start knocking down shot until this year. Then you have both JJ and Lee to contend with. Which would mean instead of one riding the bench two would. Because we signed Pietrus for first team defense, you need some one on the second team that can play D and hit shots like Bogans. The exact reason JJ sees little time.

I thin k Trevor would still be an asset, I just do not see how he would have cracked the rotation. In LA there are a ton of scorers and his job has always been defense. Knocking down shot have now come as an after effect.

Okk so I leave it to the open forum...what would the rotation be if Trevor was still here...Would he play the PF position like a Shawn Marion...or what would he do given our current player makeup.

I thought since so many wish the trade for Cook would have never happened, just where would Trevor play in the rotation now?

He would be a perfect replacement for Pietrus had we not signed him, but we would have signed him because Trevor did not start knocking down shot until this year. Then you have both JJ and Lee to contend with. Which would mean instead of one riding the bench two would. Because we signed Pietrus for first team defense, you need some one on the second team that can play D and hit shots like Bogans. The exact reason JJ sees little time.

I thin k Trevor would still be an asset, I just do not see how he would have cracked the rotation. In LA there are a ton of scorers and his job has always been defense. Knocking down shot have now come as an after effect.

Okk so I leave it to the open forum...what would the rotation be if Trevor was still here...Would he play the PF position like a Shawn Marion...or what would he do given our current player makeup.

Ben, I think that you are hitting on the very reason that he was traded in the first place. For whatever reason, good or bad, the Magic just didn't feel like he was going to crack the rotation.

Also, and this can't be more stringently stated, at the time of the trade, the Magic doctors felt that Trevor was likely to have chronic foot problems that would keep him out of the lineup for extended periods of time. Our franchise is extremely jittery when it comes to players with chronic injuries, and for good reason.

As it turns out, Ariza is playing well, shooting better, and seems healthy. It is easy for us now to look at the trade as a loss, but at the time, there was merit for the move. And, as many have previously said, Mo Evans helped us out last year.

We have the skills of Ariza plus better shooting in Peaches. Lee gives all of the excitement we loved in Ariza, in a smaller package, combined with a superb bb IQ. Trevor is in his dream job. Wish him well. He doesn't have a place here.

as much as I like the guy, he just did not fit, or lets say, had a spot on this team. He could not crack the rotation, not because of lack of skills, but just because of quantity of bodies.

I am happy for him, he is on the best team in the west, playing with a future legend and back home.

We are great here in the East. Winning big games and earning our spot night in and night out. I say we both came out fine in the end(The Magic and Ariza).

I don't really know why everyone thinks that Ariza is playing a lot better than when he was in Orlando, but in particular the shooting point of view blows my mind.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/trevor_ariza/index.html

FG/3p%/FT

2008/09 = 0,477/0,292/0,657

Career = 0,476/0,253/0,647

For me this is only a minimal improvement.

I'm not saying that I don't like him as a player, but all this talk about him being a better shooter is somewhat exaggerated.

best i could gather.

superman/warlock

sweetlew/batman

peaches/ariza

turk/bo

mightymouse/jetlee

*hedo help lee with point.but look at that line up defensively for the bench.

The reason why people think Ariza's playing better now is because he is. He went from shooting the three never to shooting it sometimes, and more importantly he's leading the league in steals per minute. Luckily against us he was in foul trouble and couldn't really show it.

If everything else was still the same and we never had Cook or Evans, maybe he would of gotten some minutes at SG last year. I dunno about starter, but some minutes. This year I think the best he could of hoped for was some minutes at SF behind Hedo instead of Bogans.

Trevor's better off where he's at, we just should of gotten more for him and a TE, that's all there is to it. We may be a great team, but that trade's got nothing to do with it, except for shedding a bit of salary in Evans.

People tend to forget Ariza was averaging 8+ pts. per game under Brian Hill. It's not like this guy was all potential & has come out of nowhere. He's been a very effective sub & has improved his game.

If we had him playing off the bench behind Hedo & Lewis he would be a major asset & our bench would be more dynamic.

well like lee proves, if you have athletic ability then you should have minutes somewhere, ariza would have helped out with josh smith, joe johnson, lemarcus aldridge maybe, he could defend the lanky guys becuase he was lanky himself. he'd probably play between the 2 and 3, and he could probably switch off to the 4 against smaller or thinner pf's, but only for moments at a time, either way he would have been pretty useful on the bench.... i remember hearing somewhere that he has problems with asthma, i mean it's a faint memory, did anyone remember this as well? it could be a reason why we see him in limited minutes even in a laker uniform... lol maybe their trainers are equipped with a bunch of inhalers.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

People tend to forget Ariza was averaging 8+ pts. per game under Brian Hill. It's not like this guy was all potential & has come out of nowhere. He's been a very effective sub & has improved his game.

If we had him playing off the bench behind Hedo & Lewis he would be a major asset & our bench would be more dynamic.

I think the biggest thing overlooked is next season when Turk leaves. We would have a starting line up where the oldest player is 30 and is surrounding by freakishly athletic mid-20 year olds hopefully locked into long term deals. Our rebounding would improve vastly going from Hedo to Ariza and Rashard at the 4 wouldn't be so bad because of the great swing atheletes providing help defense. Jameer would be surrounded with high flyers and the new big 3 wouldn't have to worry about sharing the ball with Hedo, but instead letting Ariza knock down open shots and cut to the hole. This fantasy, however, was barring Ariza being resigned and what's done is done.