Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

HEDO TO BE BOUGHT OUT

It was my understanding that because Hedos contract is only partially guaranteed we can release him and only be responsible for the 6mil. If that's the case, then what would be the point of a buyout OR is the buyout the only way we can get rid of a partially guaranteed contract?

I think in this case the word "buyout" isn't very accurate. We are just going to cut turk and pay him his partial guarantee. It seems like this is more about getting all the paperwork and whatnot taken care of as he has ZERO incentive to take a buyout lower than his partial guarantee at this point. Now if there is a team willing to sign him right away he might be inclined to do that, but I highly doubt at this point he has enough value to risk losing that guaranteed money.

Al on the other still has 2 years left on contract and we might be able to negotiate a buyout so that he can find a team to that he can contribute to this season. I really don't think he is interested in sitting on the bench for a rebuilding team while he still has something left in the tank. I could see him taking a buyout before training camps start so that he has a chance to sign with a contender. Mike Miller just got amnestied by Miami so that could be an option.

• Upvote 1

I was at this game, and I'd guess it was as loud as Amway has ever been. My wife was screaming into my ear, and I still couldn't make out what she was saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YtKMbjitA

Better video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzPS_mq_ICM

This will forever be one of my all time favorite Magic plays.

I know Rashard's contract gets heavily criticized, but in my opinion, this shot made him worth every dollar.

Hedo is a great guy, but the dance has to end sometime, no hard feelings, everyone likes Hedo, but plans for the Magic are good to go and Hedo understands I'm sure....Good luck Hedo Orlando sitll loves ya!

turk has not been good for a while now. He does not make good decisions with the ball and take very bad shots. I dont want him on the court. When is the buy out happening?

turk has not been good for a while now. He does not make good decisions with the ball and take very bad shots. I dont want him on the court. When is the buy out happening?

If he is to be bought out with the view that he takes less money now to sign with a team while free agency is still happening it will be soon. Personally I think that is highly unlikely, most likely he'll be waived which could happen any time from now until the date his contract becomes guaranteed for the entire season (sometime in January I believe).

Harrington is another story though, I think he may actually have some value around the league, and might accept a buy out to join a contender.

Alex Kennedy

‏@AlexKennedyNBA

Orlando will likely buyout Al Harrington soon. Fan in Vegas asked, "What team do you play for now?" Al said, "I'm about to be a free agent."

If he is to be bought out with the view that he takes less money now to sign with a team while free agency is still happening it will be soon. Personally I think that is highly unlikely, most likely he'll be waived which could happen any time from now until the date his contract becomes guaranteed for the entire season (sometime in January I believe).

Harrington is another story though, I think he may actually have some value around the league, and might accept a buy out to join a contender.

If we waive/buy out his contract, it will be 6mil vs 12mil. Just let him go already.

If we waive/buy out his contract, it will be 6mil vs 12mil. Just let him go already.

I'm fully aware of the values, but since his contract doesn't become guaranteed for the full amount for months it doesn't really matter. The only real question is whether we waive him now and pay him 6mil or waive him January 9th (all contracts become fully guaranteed on January 10th) and pay him 6mil, or somewhere in between.

EDIT: January 10th was actually the date this past season and may not be the date this season but it will be somewhere around there so the point still stands.

I'm fully aware of the values, but since his contract doesn't become guaranteed for the full amount for months it doesn't really matter. The only real question is whether we waive him now and pay him 6mil or waive him January 9th (all contracts become fully guaranteed on January 10th) and pay him 6mil, or somewhere in between.

EDIT: January 10th was actually the date this past season and may not be the date this season but it will be somewhere around there so the point still stands.

I rather give the roster spot to someone else. I dont want the chance the turke gets a min of action.

I rather give the roster spot to someone else. I dont want the chance the turke gets a min of action.

I see it like this:

Since we have no desire to be a good team this season Turk being on the floor isn't really bad since he will probably help us get a top pick rather than hinder us.

Not only that but who else are we giving the roster spot to? Osby? An UFA? a Vet FA?

Since Osby has already said he'd be willing to spend a year in Europe I don't really see why we need to rush him into the roster. He'll get much more regular playing time in Europe and probably be a better player for it if we brought him over next year. Plus if Harrington is bought out/waived as expected that will open up a roster spot for Osby.

Say we give the roster spot to an undrafted free agent; we now pay a guy a negligible amount of money to play the minutes Turk won't play (probably 5 mpg if that) and at the end of the year we'll cut him because, like Dequan Jones, he won't be good enough to maintain a roster spot once we draft 2 new rookies.

If we sign a vet FA we'll pay somebody the veteran minimum to do the exact same thing Turk does (nothing good) and thus spend an extra $1million or so for virtually no reason.

Virtually any path we take with this we have a player under contract who is going to provide little to no impact and we're still paying 6 million dollars (or slightly more) regardless of who that player is. Keeping Turk means whenever he's on the court we suck, which I don't mind, and we have an open roster spot in January if we want to make any trades. Hell, as unlikely as it is somebody might see Turk as an asset to help save some money.

I really don't care what we do with Turk though, keep him until then, waive him now, it doesn't really matter but all I'm saying is there may be reasons why we choose to keep him right up until January and you have to think about more than just "he sucks, cut him".

I see it like this:

Since we have no desire to be a good team this season Turk being on the floor isn't really bad since he will probably help us get a top pick rather than hinder us.

Not only that but who else are we giving the roster spot to? Osby? An UFA? a Vet FA?

Since Osby has already said he'd be willing to spend a year in Europe I don't really see why we need to rush him into the roster. He'll get much more regular playing time in Europe and probably be a better player for it if we brought him over next year. Plus if Harrington is bought out/waived as expected that will open up a roster spot for Osby.

Say we give the roster spot to an undrafted free agent; we now pay a guy a negligible amount of money to play the minutes Turk won't play (probably 5 mpg if that) and at the end of the year we'll cut him because, like Dequan Jones, he won't be good enough to maintain a roster spot once we draft 2 new rookies.

If we sign a vet FA we'll pay somebody the veteran minimum to do the exact same thing Turk does (nothing good) and thus spend an extra $1million or so for virtually no reason.

Virtually any path we take with this we have a player under contract who is going to provide little to no impact and we're still paying 6 million dollars (or slightly more) regardless of who that player is. Keeping Turk means whenever he's on the court we suck, which I don't mind, and we have an open roster spot in January if we want to make any trades. Hell, as unlikely as it is somebody might see Turk as an asset to help save some money.

I really don't care what we do with Turk though, keep him until then, waive him now, it doesn't really matter but all I'm saying is there may be reasons why we choose to keep him right up until January and you have to think about more than just "he sucks, cut him".

If he takes mins from harkless or Harris it would be unwise, because it would hinder there development.

Our team should look like this:

Nick / Oqinn / Maxsell

Baby /Nichalson / Maxsell

Harris / Harkless / AA

AA / Lamb / Moore

Nelson / Vic / (Or start him for AA or Nelson) Free Agent