Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

The NBA's Best Big Man (Ever?) - Hoopsworld

quote:
Last week Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, commonly known as Superman after he wowed the All-Star crowd in New Orleans with his high-flying slam dunk routine, recorded his first career triple-double. Playing against the front court challenged Oklahoma City Thunder, Howard thundered down 30 points, 19 rebounds, and 10 blocks in a 109-92 Magic win.

After the game Thunder head coach PJ Carlesimo couldn't help himself. The man who was an assistant under Gregg Popovich watching Tim Duncan win championships called Howard the best big man in the NBA, one of the best players on the planet, and even suggested that he might be the best big man ever.

"That's high praise, but he certainly has the ability to be one of the best ever," Magic coach Stan Van Gundy told HOOPSWORLD. "That's a goal that he's working toward and we've told him since we walked in on day one that the standard we want to hold him to is to be the best player in the league. That's obviously a very high standard and we can always find things wrong to make him get better, but Dwight's attitude, particularly this year, has been that he wants to get better and wants to reach that level and wants to be pushed on the things that he's not doing well. He's off to a great start. I'm sure there will be challenges ahead, people will play him a lot of different ways, but he's maturing and he has more poise this season."

"I guess you could say he's actually Superman out there," adds Rashard Lewis, who grew up in Houston idolizing Hakeem Olajuwon. "He gave a tremendous effort out on the defensive end that game. He was crawling up the paint getting blocks. I think he had seventy or eighty percent of the blocked shots before half time. Obviously, rebounding the ball well and scoring with the ball well, there was nothing out there that he didn't do. He literally carried us to that win. That's why we had such a big lead early; they just couldn't get any points in the paint. They aren't a very good jump shooting team and they couldn't get a layup because Dwight was there to contest their shot."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10648

quote:
Last week Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, commonly known as Superman after he wowed the All-Star crowd in New Orleans with his high-flying slam dunk routine, recorded his first career triple-double. Playing against the front court challenged Oklahoma City Thunder, Howard thundered down 30 points, 19 rebounds, and 10 blocks in a 109-92 Magic win.

After the game Thunder head coach PJ Carlesimo couldn't help himself. The man who was an assistant under Gregg Popovich watching Tim Duncan win championships called Howard the best big man in the NBA, one of the best players on the planet, and even suggested that he might be the best big man ever.

"That's high praise, but he certainly has the ability to be one of the best ever," Magic coach Stan Van Gundy told HOOPSWORLD. "That's a goal that he's working toward and we've told him since we walked in on day one that the standard we want to hold him to is to be the best player in the league. That's obviously a very high standard and we can always find things wrong to make him get better, but Dwight's attitude, particularly this year, has been that he wants to get better and wants to reach that level and wants to be pushed on the things that he's not doing well. He's off to a great start. I'm sure there will be challenges ahead, people will play him a lot of different ways, but he's maturing and he has more poise this season."

"I guess you could say he's actually Superman out there," adds Rashard Lewis, who grew up in Houston idolizing Hakeem Olajuwon. "He gave a tremendous effort out on the defensive end that game. He was crawling up the paint getting blocks. I think he had seventy or eighty percent of the blocked shots before half time. Obviously, rebounding the ball well and scoring with the ball well, there was nothing out there that he didn't do. He literally carried us to that win. That's why we had such a big lead early; they just couldn't get any points in the paint. They aren't a very good jump shooting team and they couldn't get a layup because Dwight was there to contest their shot."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10648

There's no denying that Dwight is the best big man in the league nowadays. But in order to be considered one of the best, he's got a fair bit of competition (Kareem, Wilt, Shaq etc).

As of yet, I think Dwight is still too inconsistent to be considered one of the best ever, as shown by his two recent performances. His potential is limitless, we'll just see how he develops as Magic fans.

quote:
Originally posted by Chaz:

There's no denying that Dwight is the best big man in the league nowadays. But in order to be considered one of the best, he's got a fair bit of competition (Kareem, Wilt, Shaq etc).

As of yet, I think Dwight is still too inconsistent to be considered one of the best ever, as shown by his two recent performances. His potential is limitless, we'll just see how he develops as Magic fans.

His last 2 performances? Last night he had 18/9/1/3/1. Yes, those numbers are below his averages, but they're still ridiculous. Do you know what the list of NBA players averaging those numbers is? Here, I'll give it to you.

1. Dwight Howard

2. The Ghost of Napoleon

3. John McLane

4. Jesus

5. The Macho Man Randy Savage

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

His last 2 performances? Last night he had 18/9/1/3/1. Yes, those numbers are below his averages, but they're still ridiculous. Do you know what the list of NBA players averaging those numbers is? Here, I'll give it to you.

1. Dwight Howard

2. The Ghost of Napoleon

3. John McLane

4. Jesus

6. Voltron

Fixed.

quote:

You do realize that Dwight was in foul trouble the last two games

quote:

quote:

1. Dwight Howard

2. The Ghost of Napoleon

3. John McLane

4. Jesus

I thought Jesus went to the Euro League. As for the Macho Man, he could be the best ever if he stayed away from those Slim Jims.

Napolean was one of the best big men in a little body. Charles Barkley had nothing on this guy.

Then when he became a ghost? Man, not since Lew Alcindor became Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has there been such a transformation.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

You do realize that Dwight was in foul trouble the last two games

Yeah I do realise that he was in foul trouble. Everyone gets in foul trouble from time to time and long as the Magic are winning I really don't care.

The only point I meant by the inconsistency is that other Big Men had higher point averages, Dwight will have 32 on one night then 12 the next. When he gets to the point where he's sustaining 25 points a game, then he'll start to be considered one of the best ever.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

quote:

1. Dwight Howard

2. The Ghost of Napoleon

3. John McLane

4. Jesus

6. Voltron

Fixed.

Voltron was a force, certainly, but Voltron seems determined to make sure that no one else gets involved; it's just Voltron and his opponent. As a result, he averages below an assist a game.