Sign in to follow this  
jgadd3

Pietrus Out, JJ to start tonight

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Where is the logic of starting JJ in place of Pietrus? Next to Jameer Nelson?

Is this a coach's strategy?

He did the same last year when Jameer was 1st PG and Dooling was the backup. Jameer went out and Carlos went from benchwarmer to starter for a few games...then back to benchwarmer. Normally you would think that the backup is the second best in that position and should get the start if the starter goes down.

I am not sure what to think about Stan's strategy, but I like the results. I am just very happy that we now have a coach that will explore matchups and makes changes, not like the one before that was set on a lineup and substitutions and wouldn't change them.

Can't argue with the win. JJ played good, and I think that what we saw tonight is his role in the NBA...Not being a starter, but complementing solid players/starters and helping as neccesary. He can do this off the bench.

Stan mentioned after the game that JJ started because he matched up better against the Raptors. As others have mentioned the Raptor have no SG's that post up and drive so defending them simply a matter of not leaving your guy.

JJ had a decent game once he settled down some. I personally would like to see Lee get the playing time, but if it helps JJ's trade value then so be it.

JJ had a solid game against the least talented backcourt the Magic will face all season, nothing more.

As others have said, if it results in boosting his trade value higher than the 12 year old kid handing out gatorade on the bench, great.

From Steve Kyler:

quote:

JJ Gets The Start:

So who in the room was surprised to see J.J. Redick in the starting lineup last night in Orlando? You shouldn't have been, Stan Van Gundy has been playing this J.J. situation very coy lately and admitted to reporters several times this month that all J.J. needed was a confidence boost. With Mickael Pietrus coming up injured at shoot around yesterday (bruised ribs) Stan found his chance and J.J. answered. This was a low risk move for Stan, J.J. has been practicing very well and his defense especially in intra-squad match ups has been getting better and better. Putting J.J. in against Raptor's guard Anthony Parker was a low risk move, because had J.J. struggled Stan could have immediately went to Keith Bogans, who likely would have started in MP's place. Bogans has locked himself in as the sixth man, and the Magic second unit is really anchored by Keith. It was a good match up to get J.J. on the floor and in 34 minutes J.J. not only broke out of his 0-10 shooting slump, dropping in 10 points, he also hit his first three-pointer of the season. By mid-game J.J. was dancing around screens and really moving creating a lot of space for his teammates.

Lets not get too excited about the long term on J.J., the starting spot still belong to Mickael Pietrus, and Keith Bogans still comes off the bench as 6th man but J.J. proved last night that he can play an interesting and valuable role for this Magic team. If the Magic use him, and his 34 minutes on the floor last night proved, he may have some value not only in Orlando but around the league as well. There is a great expression in sports

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

I could think of nothing funnier last night, than BallJunkie finally getting past the Usher to get his kids to the railing to high five the team as they leave the court... and the one Magic player that heads over is JJ Redick.

The comical irony! Lol

you would think that after jj got to play, and help the TEAM get a big win, fans would be happy for him an the magic. but no, we have to listen to the same old tired crap from those who just can not stand for someone they hate to have a small bit of success. as a magic and jj fan it sad to say but i hope he gets a trade soon. i just got back from a 2 hour motivational meeting at work and the speaker would pass out if read this nonsense. what a waste. i know if i dont like it i should not read it but i like the magic.

As someone said earlier, as well as a reference to the dwindling attendance, JJ is fun to watch. His shot is as exciting as a dunk and people just flat out like the kid, so he is helping in many ways. He is very active in the community and is very influential with young kids. So why the hate ball and smack? Oh yes I forgot, your the same person. If you are a true Magic fan you really would be happy for his success and quit making excuses that his defense was only good because no one tried to score on him. Now that is a childish and assinine remark. Toronto wanted to lose to the Magic I bet.

First off, congrats JJ. He played a good game and made some good shots.

Now not to be negative, but to be realistic, where does this put the Magic and JJ?

Peaches will start when healthy, that is not changing. Bogans seems to be a lock as the first SG off the bench. That leaves Lee and JJ.

JJ played OK defense against the Raptors, but their backcourt is pretty easy to defend (without calderon). I do not think he is a better defender than Lee, and I do not think there are many on here who would argue that point.

JJ showed his offensive skill set last night, bury open jumpers and set shots, and the occasional pump fake and shot. The problem here is that it took him significant minutes (maybe even starter status) to get in the groove and break the 0-10 streak. As stated he will not be starting, and with Bogans and Peaches sucking up most of the SG minutes, when does he get the chance to get in rhythm?

Finally, if we now go with JJ, does that interfere with the progression of Lee? I think it would have to as Lee is not getting a ton of minutes as is.

Conclusion, trade a SG. At this point it does not matter with (outside of peaches), but whichever can get you a PG or SG. I am not saying JJ must go, but he does appear to be the most one dimensional player. He is a shooter, who needs consistent minutes to be successful. I do not think it is fair to him to keep him around and have him ride the pine, and I do not think it is fair to Lee to force him to go through two years of "JJ minutes". The Magic need to pull the trigger on some sort of trade at this point, because finally ending the log jam would be addition by subtraction.