Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Hollinger chat(1:00) Let's pump him with some Marbury & Tinsley questions

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Well if Hollinger says so, then it must be so. Better just pack it up early guys, no reason to watch the rest of the season.

has he ever played or coached organized semi-pro sports? If he has, then yeah, I believe him

I know sometimes You can't just take the numbers and compare them, but...

Pietrus is 42.5% so far. His last two years, he shot 38 and 36%. So let's say it's a 6% difference. One player, who won't shoot it as much.

Hedo and Shard are both shooting about 28% with a career of 40%. That's 12% difference, byt two players, who shoot a heck of a lot more than Pietrus.

So even if Pietrus comes back to earth and shoots 36%, while taking a good 8-10 less shots a game, his negative impact won't be as big as the positive of having two guys shoot career numbers of 40% while taking many more shots.

And the Jameer FT % difference is what, 4 or 5%? 10%? by a guy taking 4 or 5 shots a game, what is that like half a point lost?

At least he recognized the team is higher than what his formula computed...

I dont think Hollinger has ever had anything nice to say about Pietrus, he could average 20 points a game, 3 steals and he would still call it beginners luck.

I think Hollinger is upset with the fact that Marcin has more hair than him.

This guy is strictly a numbers guy, which he should of been an accountant and not an analyst.

Maybe everyone on this board should send ESPN their resume to be an analyst, I mean clearly it doesn't take much to get hired.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I don't get Ingram's obsession with a scoring PG. Isn't that what Jameer is? And he states that Jameer is a Top 20 PG in the league as though it is quite an accomplishment. Is that really all that impressive, seeing as how that suggests that there are more starting PGs that are better than him than there are that are worse?

I agree we need a PG, but a defensive stopper and a decent ball distributor seems to me to be a more glaring need.

Opinions?

Nah we don't need a defensive stopper and distrubter, we need a point guard with handles who can score. Our second unit is actually better than adequate defensively but there isn't a player that can create their own shot and that is what we need

Meh, he is actually one of my favorite basketball commentators. His work is usually much richer and insightful than those other schmucks. Plus, I love his use of numbers....