Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Stephon Marbury to Magic or Heat? Tommy Beer(Knicks beatwriter) thinks so...

Put me on the Starbury bandwagon. I've always liked the guy, call me crazy.

But then again I like TO and Chad Johnson too.

For the veterans minimum I think we have to consider it. I've never been a fan of Marbury but I would say that he is a pretty good insurance policy. If Jameer goes down with injury our team is going to be in a real bind.

Marbury has made some real boneheaded decisions over the course of his career but he has handled this current situation remarkably well. Maybe I am looking for a silver lining but perhaps he has finally realized that this is his last chance.

I still don't think the Magic will sign him. It goes against the high character mold that this team has established since its creation.

If he could ever get his act together, he'd be a hell of a contribution.

He's never been on a very good team, much less a contender, unless you count that Phoenix team that somehow managed to upset the Spurs, but if anyone could set this guy straight, it'd be SVG.

Call me crazy, but I would accept him with open arms.

For the record, this past summer when word spread about Marbury and Jamal Tinsley being bought out by their respective teams John Denton(not Otis himself) posted a blog stating his opinion was that the Magic would be interested for the vet minimum...some of you may remember that blog although at this time I can't find it.

I'm not saying it will happen and odds are against it...then again, it could. I'm sure if Otis were to do it he wouldn't consider it if he felt it would ruin team chemistry.

I had a friend who coaches a local college team who got invited to the Portland game on Monday night...he said he doesn't get to see the Magic a lot because he is busy with his own team...his opinion(which was based on this one game) was that point guard was our weakness...he said Jameer didn't settle the team down and get them into their sets very well...he said Rashard scored on two consecutive post-ups late in the 3rd quarter and Nelson stopped calling that play...he noticed he quit giving Dwight the ball too while jacking up numerous shots that were unsuccessful.

Jameer has played much better the last two games...no doubt...this board is also highly critical of Anthony Johnson.

I'm not saying Marbury is the answer although he could help if he is willing to play team ball and has the right attitude....my point being that I worry about the current performance and ability of the point guards that are on our roster.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

The only thing he would be good for is submarining our season. I bet Riley wants him so he can tank without appearing to tank.

Otis puts chemistry at a premium, I highly doubt he lets this guy anywhere near our team. Even if he had something left in the tank (which I doubt he does) he would still cause more damage than good.

Think about this, D'Antoni needs a good PG to run his offense, if Marbury was worth anything why wouldn't they just keep him?

Marbury is a cancer within the Knicks and they want him gone. Though I do think that it's going to take longer then a week to get this set since Marbury won't take anything unless he gets the full amount from his contract.

I agree that Otis Smith doesn't want this kind of person on the Magic team.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

For the record, this past summer when word spread about Marbury and Jamal Tinsley being bought out by their respective teams John Denton(not Otis himself) posted a blog stating his opinion was that the Magic would be interested for the vet minimum...some of you may remember that blog although at this time I can't find it.

I'm not saying it will happen and odds are against it...then again, it could. I'm sure if Otis were to do it he wouldn't consider it if he felt it would ruin team chemistry.

I had a friend who coaches a local college team who got invited to the Portland game on Monday night...he said he doesn't get to see the Magic a lot because he is busy with his own team...his opinion(which was based on this one game) was that point guard was our weakness...he said Jameer didn't settle the team down and get them into their sets very well...he said Rashard scored on two consecutive post-ups late in the 3rd quarter and Nelson stopped calling that play...he noticed he quit giving Dwight the ball too while jacking up numerous shots that were unsuccessful.

Jameer has played much better the last two games...no doubt...this board is also highly critical of Anthony Johnson.

I'm not saying Marbury is the answer although he could help if he is willing to play team ball and has the right attitude....my point being that I worry about the current performance and ability of the point guards that are on our roster.

I think the problem with Nelson is that he has a low Basketball IQ. BUT, I think he is a smart guy overall, or at least smart enough to eventually get it. He has just had to go through too many different coaches and changes is all, with the continuity of having Stan coach for a while he should start making better decisions.

Outside of his decision making he is a good guard. Average defensively, better than average rebounder, good shooter, and getting better and distributing the rock. This is my long winded way of saying that I think your friend, (and granted everyone who knows anything about basketball, mostly), is wrong.